FlexMed 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sounds like the program is getting more popular. They had 750 applicants last year, 850 this year. Last year they accepted ~50, and I know their max early acceptance cap is going to be ~70, so it doesn't seem unreasonable that they accept the same %, ~60 kids this year. That'd be in line with scaling up and keep the acceptance rate at about 7%. Knowing that Sinai normally has a ~2.5% acceptance rate, while this seems like a long shot, it's actually a better shot than I'd have expected.

Members don't see this ad.

Did we need to mail in an official transcript, or is it okay if we just sent submitted a pdf of the unofficial transcript on the application?

I only did the PDF of the unofficial. I believe that was all that was needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, to change the topic a bit, what are you guys interested in doing for the summer?

Honestly, until I hear otherwise the plan is to study for the MCAT, volunteer, and shadow. If I get in though, I'm going to try to get back to my lab and do research - love the stuff.

Does anyone know if we're supposed to start hearing back starting next week? Or will interview offers come out later?

I was wondering the same thing. My application status has said "At Screening" for what seems like forever.

I was wondering the same thing. My application status has said "At Screening" for what seems like forever.
Mine still just says "Application complete," so you're at least farther along than me.

How do they notify you about interviews? Just send an email?

Mine says "Screening Complete". I turned my application in on the very last day, can we expect emails on Monday you think?

i mean mine's said that for more than a week now and I still haven't heard anything so I wouldn't count on it. I also submitted at the deadline i believe

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted in mid-December and mine has said "Screening Complete" for well over a week now. I am expecting/hoping to hear back by Friday.

To be honest I'm nervous too, but not expecting much from this program. Stats wise you guys are all probably better off than me: I have a 29 on the ACT from high school, and a 3.76 overall GPA from a top-tier undergrad. Even though my extras are good, I feel like this program is very stats-driven.

My pre-med advisor is so confident that I'll get an interview but looking at the stats of people...my credentials aren't exactly stellar but I really hope my interest in the Media Arts and Sciences as well as other things can help (one of the things I take pride is that I currently volunteer as a medical illustrator for medical e-textbooks). Honestly, I don't even know what to think anymore...I don't want to get my hopes up but I don't exactly want to be defeatist either.

Well it looks like last year they released this coming Tuesday, based on last year's thread...but some people didn't hear back till 3/25 either, so I guess just wait and see. We'll know within a month for sure.

Like everyone else, I've been checking my application status obsessively for the past few days. My app also said "At Screening" on Saturday, but this Sunday morning the status just changed to "Screening Complete." Didn't know they were still evaluating the apps through the weekend. Hmm...

Mine says "Screening Complete". I turned my application in on the very last day, can we expect emails on Monday you think?

If anyone else can confirm that their status has changed as of today, I think emails on Monday could very well be a possibility.

Mine still says "At Screening," but they didn't start looking at mine till this past Thursday

Mine has been "At Screening" for a while. Does anyone know if this means anything?
Is it significant that I submitted my app on the last day too, but many people who submitted that day have "Done Screening" as their app status?

I wouldn't read into that too much. They probably just screen apps based on what major you are. Hopefully we'll start hearing from them soon!

Reactions: 1 users
So according to the admissions lady I spoke to, they're only interviewing one week in March. The rest will be held in April. So I'm assuming that only a small percentage will get an interview invite this week so that they can interview in March. Then the rest of those invited to interview will be told in early to mid March then??

Reactions: 2 users
Ya, it makes sense to offer the interview a month in advance at least right? I'm sure it's difficult for people outside of NY to find plane tickets with less time. The idea still being that we'll be hearing back within the month about interview status at least - Ack the nerves!

Reactions: 1 user
@dimpleslikeWHOA
did the admissions lady you spoke with happen to mention when interview decisions for the first batch of applicants will be released?

@dimpleslikeWHOA
did the admissions lady you spoke with happen to mention when interview decisions for the first batch of applicants will be released?
Sadly, she did not. She just gave a vague response such as soon. If not this week then I'm guessing next week. They should be giving people enough time to make traveling arrangements.

CHill guys it's not like anyones going to know if they're into Sinai until July. I.e. 4+ months from now. so stressing about which week in February you'll hear about an interview is pointless. I'm sure we'll be notified with plenty of time to make the necessary arrangements

WHY HAS MY STATUS SAID "AT SCREENING" FOR LITERALLY THE PAST THREE WEEKS?!?!

People who have on their status "Screening Complete": what are your stats? GPA and SAT/ACT?

I have >3.8, >2350

But I would really stress you not to overthink this whole screening thing. For all we know they do it alphabetically, or based on when you OPEN an application (maybe this is when you are assigned an internal account/applicant number). Or maybe if your screening is complete you're not getting an II-- I feel my application was pretty mediocre beyond my stats. Just don't worry about it.

I feel the opposite. I have a 3.76 and a 29. The rest of my app I'm really proud of.

I'm sure they look beyond stats and also look at stats in the context of location. Or at least I'm telling myself that the big name on my transcript will make my GPA look better, but who really knows haha

Based on the stats of their incoming class, I doubt they look at GPA past a threshold. It's going to be about whether you've sold them that you're not a "typical" premed. Flexmed wants a reputation for being different.

...Meanwhile I ponder whether the adcoms noticed that my photo was a selfie:oops:.

One of the professors at the med school reached out to me recently and said he was VERY impressed with my resume. should I take this as a good sign? no official email yet but I KEEP hitting refresh hoping. Stats :GPA 3.96 with most pre-med requirements done and SAT 2360. Attend an elite LAC and have been pretty active on campus (started a group for LGBTQ Pre-meds) but I'm SO NERVOUS!!!!!!!!!! not confident in my essays, but have been doing research since freshman year. Here's hoping!

One of the professors at the med school reached out to me recently and said he was VERY impressed with my resume. should I take this as a good sign? no official email yet but I KEEP hitting refresh hoping. Stats :GPA 3.96 with most pre-med requirements done and SAT 2360. Attend an elite LAC and have been pretty active on campus (started a group for LGBTQ Pre-meds) but I'm SO NERVOUS!!!!!!!!!! not confident in my essays, but have been doing research since freshman year. Here's hoping!
cool brah

Yes. I would take that as a good sign. Or at least...if people say they like your app, I don't see how that can be a bad thing....

what a troll

Reactions: 1 users
Do they tell you if you're rejected? Or do you just wait...until it's too late and have no choice but to conclude that you were rejected?

Yes, they send you an email telling you that they "are unable to offer you an acceptance at this time." Last year, they sent that letter out near the end of March (3/24).

Ok, thanks. So....has anyone heard anything yet? Mine still says "At Screening".

believe me, when people hear anything, you will hear about it lol

Did you reach out to this professor? Or did he/she randomly reach out to you? Kind of odd if professors do that randomly haha