FlexMed 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@jhill76 yes. i believe it will say that until the summer, because they request spring grades from those students who make it to interview!

Members don't see this ad.

@jhill76 yes. i believe it will say that until the summer, because they request spring grades from those students who make it to interview!

Thanks. Does it show it across the board for everyone? I was just curious, is this any indication they will be inviting if you have that in portal.

Mine also says Transcript with Fall Grades Incomplete...
Mine did at first, I e-mailed them and they changed it. I would advise doing this, you don't want to be considered incomplete. Do you have Spring Incomplete on yours?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really really anxious to hear back..... anyone else check their email 32048320984093 times a day?

When do people generally start hearing back for interviews?
Also- my school is on the quarter system, do you think it would be beneficial (possible) for me to send in my quarterly transcript if it is available in mid-march? Thanks!

I would think yes, but my school offers courses over winter break and I wanted to submit my updated transcript including that newest grade; however when I emailed submissions simply asking if it's suggested to submit my most recent transcript, I did not receive a reply. (ouch)

My GPA only went up by .01 but I think in this application process, every bit helps!

I would think yes, but my school offers courses over winter break and I wanted to submit my updated transcript including that newest grade; however when I emailed submissions simply asking if it's suggested to submit my most recent transcript, I did not receive a reply. (ouch)

My GPA only went up by .01 but I think in this application process, every bit helps!

Early in the process I had someone from the school e-mail me directly (I didn't contact her). Since then, any questions I have had I e-mail her directly. If you have any of those e-mails, try to reply and see if you can get an answer that way.

Early in the process I had someone from the school e-mail me directly (I didn't contact her). Since then, any questions I have had I e-mail her directly. If you have any of those e-mails, try to reply and see if you can get an answer that way.

I had admissions email me too, informing me that my file has been reviewed but she is the person i contacted about my winter-course transcript and i still didnt receive a response..weird!

Just got an interview invite. put my major as computational/engineering or whatever. really surprised i got it! just wanted to let everyone know!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an interview invite. put my major as computational/engineering or whatever. really surprised i got it! just wanted to let everyone know!
I also got an interview invite today... did they send them all out today? or are there more to come? does anyone know what percentage of applicants were invited to interview?

congrats to both of you! anxiously waiting, i know that they send out interviews based on majors so not sure how long until I hear back! (humanities)

I also got an interview invite today... did they send them all out today? or are there more to come? does anyone know what percentage of applicants were invited to interview?

congrats! what's your major?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! my app still just says "Application Complete"... Anybody on the same boat?

mine still says incomplete for spring grades but i think thats normal? complete everywhere else!

Long time lurker, but I also applied to Flexmed this year. I'm a humanities major (religion), and I'm still at "application complete".

I got an interview! My category was also computational science and engineering. I'm excited, hopefully I'll see some of you guys on our interview day!

Does anyone know how many people applied, how many get interviews, and how many get accepted?

My major is the humanities. I'm wondering if they are doing it by majors this time. I have just application complete.

does anyone know what the major "categories" are?
anyone who's friends know? @md-2020 ?

I'm wondering if they schedule interview dates for a particular major, make a decision of each candidate and then invite more people to interview from the remaining majors??

I'm wondering if they schedule interview dates for a particular major, make a decision of each candidate and then invite more people to interview from the remaining majors??

My guess is rather that they invite a small pool of applicants to several interview dates, evaluate the interview dates that those individuals select and subsequently send out another small wave of invites for interview dates that weren't popular in the first wave. If they invite 200 applicants and the majority of those applicants select a single interview date, problems arise. I think that they mitigate that risk by sending invites to individuals who have more time sensitive course loads first (computational science/math majors), giving them date preference. I think that in the following waves, they send invites to individuals for whom time is not as much of an issue. I could totally be blowing smoke here, but that is the rationale that I see. I don't think that it has much to do with the school's preference, biases, and etcetera but with time management. :) I hope that you are all having a wonderful Monday!

Last edited:
My guess is rather that they invite a small pool of applicants to several interview dates, evaluate the interview dates that those individuals select and subsequently send out another small wave of invites for interview dates that weren't popular in the first wave. If they invite 200 applicants and the majority of those applicants select a single interview date, problems would arise. I think that they mitigate that risk by sending invites to individuals who have more time sensitive course loads first (computational science/math majors), giving them date preference. I think that in the following waves, they send invites to individuals for whom time is not as much of an issue. I could totally be blowing smoke here, but that is the rationale that I see. I don't think that it has much to do with the school's preference, biases, and etcetera but with time management. :) I hope that you are all having a wonderful Monday!

My guess is rather that they invite a small pool of applicants to several interview dates, evaluate the interview dates that those individuals select and subsequently send out another small wave of invites for interview dates that weren't popular in the first wave. If they invite 200 applicants and the majority of those applicants select a single interview date, it would be problematic. I think that they mitigate that risk by sending invites to individuals who have more time sensitive course loads first (computational science/math majors), giving them date preference. I think that in the following waves, they send invites to individuals for whom time is not as much of an issue. I could totally be blowing smoke here, but that is the rationale that I see. I don't think that it has much to do with the school's preference, biases, and etcetera but with time management. :) I hope that you are all having a wonderful Monday!
This makes sense and I think you're probably right. Hope you're having an awesome Monday as well!

does anyone know what the major "categories" are?
anyone who's friends know? @md-2020 ?
Based on this thread I'm pretty sure that's just in reference to what field your major is.

From what I know, the school plans to recruit half of each incoming class through the FlexMed program and the school had 467 MD and MD/PhD students accepted for the 2015-2o16 school year. My guess is that there are about 230 flexmed spots.
Mt. Sinai has about 140-150 students per class, not 467 (which I'm going to assume is their total number of enrolled MD and MSTP students).

Based on this thread I'm pretty sure that's just in reference to what field your major is.

Mt. Sinai has about 140-150 students per class, not 467 (which I'm going to assume is their total number of enrolled MD and MSTP students).

Ah, ok. My bad, I misread the information on their quick facts page. Thanks for the correction @md-2020 :)

So if I am majoring in both the humanities and a science what category would I be placed in?

So if I am majoring in both the humanities and a science what category would I be placed in?

When you filled out the application, you selected a category from a dropbox, so that's probably the generalized field you'll be grouped with if they are actually looking at majors. You'll be alright, man. I'm rooting for you!

Reactions: 1 user
anyone else received responses yet? I'm still at "Application Complete"...

I'm still at application complete as well. I'm a religion major.

When you filled out the application, you selected a category from a dropbox, so that's probably the generalized field you'll be grouped with if they are actually looking at majors. You'll be alright, man. I'm rooting for you!
Ah I forgot about that! Thanks so much!!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a humanities major and still anxiously waiting. anyone else hear back yet?

nothing yet... no change of status on my application either.

What is the other option of our application status? would it be marked as "reviewed" if our application got to the next step?

I think it'll say "at screening" when being reviewed, and "screening complete" after they finish looking at your application.

Hey there, @rafanadal7 ! I'm wondering if you noticed any application status changes on your online app prior to your interview invite. Thanks for the info. Also, I really hope that you rock your interview! :)

Last edited:
Hey y'all! My application went in as Biomedical Sciences (I'm double majoring in Neuroscience and Sociology) and I got an interview invite an hour or so ago!

(Status is and was "Application Complete")

Reactions: 3 users
I got an interview today too :D! No change to my application status. Double major in humanities subjects. Good luck everyone else!

It seems like they are sending out invitations in quite large batches; between the time I checked the available interviews and then went back to schedule mine (not very long), some days were already unavailable. Right now they are scheduling for late April and early May. Just fyi for anyone still waiting to hear...

do we think there will be another wave of interview invites?

Last year they were giving out invites until late March.

When do you think is an appropriate time to give up? Not really too optimistic about it haha....

When do you think is an appropriate time to give up? Not really too optimistic about it haha....
Don't give up! It seems like this is just the second round of invitations, and they only offered one week in April and one in May for interviews, so there are sure to be more applicants invited in upcoming weeks.

Last edited: