Navy Flight Surgery Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProspectiveNavyFS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a prospective Navy flight surgeon, I was curious about what people with families have done in the past and had some questions for those who have already completed their flight surgery training in the Navy.

If you are in July class did you leave family at intern location for 6 months prior to PCSing to assigned FS billet location?

Did anyone bring family to Pensacola and then move them to the next location?

If you are in September class or November classes would you do anything differently?

Are you on TAD during your time in training and what kind of pay does that entitle you to in the event that your family remains behind do you get BAH and separated from dependents pays?

Are you entitled to military move funds or if you chose to move family is it on your own dime?

Did you rent a car while in Pensacola or drive your own?

Where do you live for only 6 months that allows short lease terms?

I am sure I have more questions about the logistics and they will come to me but I hope I can get these answered to start out with. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be there for 8 months...so bring your family and your car. You'll be in Pensacola for 6.5 months and Milton for 1.5 months. You are on PCS orders while at flight school...so your move and move allowances are covered. Do a partial dity move to drive your car and luggage down. It may take up to a month to get your household goods.

If you are in one of the later classes I would do something cool like the wilderness course during your gap.

Members don't see this ad :)
It does. Since you are on PCS orders any place will have to let you out of the lease with new orders. However, places may still require 30 days notice.

You'll be there for 8 months...so bring your family and your car. You'll be in Pensacola for 6.5 months and Milton for 1.5 months. You are on PCS orders while at flight school...so your move and move allowances are covered. Do a partial dity move to drive your car and luggage down. It may take up to a month to get your household goods.

If you are in one of the later classes I would do something cool like the wilderness course during your gap.

Thank you for your reply. Please forgive my naivete but could you explain how it becomes 6.5 months instead of 6 and what is Milton and what do you do there for 6 weeks?

Were you expected to report to your FS billet immediately after the completion of the 8 month training period? I am trying to figure out if my child will be able to spend the entirety of Kindergarten in the same school or if that is not going to be possible.

There are many ways to do this and each has its pluses and negatives.

In my mind the question one has to answer is are you okay being away from your family during the training?

If yes, then leave them at your current location if they like it. There is a chance you will end up back there as a flight surgeon. (Unless it's Bethesda then there aren't many billets there these days). Now there is no for sure return to that location, but it's not a negligible chance either. The plus side of this is your family stays in one place and the school issue is taken care of. In this case you would become a geo-bachelor.

If being apart is not a good option then as noted above you can PCS to Pensacola with full entitlements. Making a full school year likely won't happen. The first class graduates in February or so, the second in April and the third a month or two later.

After finishing you will get proceed time to your next duty station of a handful of days and can take some leave; however, how much will be determined by your gaining command. If you are in the first class you may have a little more flexibility on the back end as the person you are replacing may not be leaving for a bit. If you are in the last class you may have less flexibility as the person you are replacing may be headed back to residency.