Floater Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mango

Very Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I figured one of you guys might be able to help me out. I have developed floaters in my R eye. I've been reading up about retinal detachments and posterior vitreous detachments, and all that good stuff. But I was wondering, if I did in fact have a retinal detachment leading to these floaters, wouldn't there be some accompanying signs or visual disturbances? Incidentally, I'm 27, -5D myope, and I haven't noticed any flashing lights or decreased visual acuity. I tried to test my own visual fields (if that's possible), and they seemed fine too.

I will be seeing my OD next week some time, and I expect these are just vitreal condensations (at least I hope). Anybody know the stats on what % of floaters are bad news?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Mango
Alright, I figured one of you guys might be able to help me out. I have developed floaters in my R eye. I've been reading up about retinal detachments and posterior vitreous detachments, and all that good stuff. But I was wondering, if I did in fact have a retinal detachment leading to these floaters, wouldn't there be some accompanying signs or visual disturbances? Incidentally, I'm 27, -5D myope, and I haven't noticed any flashing lights or decreased visual acuity. I tried to test my own visual fields (if that's possible), and they seemed fine too.

I will be seeing my OD next week some time, and I expect these are just vitreal condensations (at least I hope). Anybody know the stats on what % of floaters are bad news?

Thanks for the help!

Most people will see floaters. They are usually thin strands of translucent objects. These are not a big deal.

However, if you start seeing blobs, large floaters, or increased number of floaters, then this may be blood. Usually a tear or RD will be accompanied by photopsias (flashes), metamorphopsias (distortions, e.g. bends in straight lines), or curtains over the vision. Should any of these symptoms develop, call your ophthalmologist/optometrist promptly.

In your situation, being a -5 myope will make you more prone to RDs and tears. You're also prone to a posterior vitreous detachment. If you notice one big blob in your vision, then this may be a Weiss' ring. The vitreous is most adherant to the peripheral retina and at the optic nerve. In a posterior vitreous detachment, the protein attaching the vitreous to the optic usually comes off and floats with the vitreous body; hence, people may notice a large or ring-link floater in their vision.

New posterior vitreous detachments should have a thorough scleral depressed exam.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply. That does help. These floaters are new, and there seems to be at least 2 or 3 of them in my right eye. But I didn't see and flashing lights, or other visual disturbances. And it has been about a month now, and I only notice the floaters when I look at bright or white objects (I first noticed them while copying pt labs off a computer screen). I'll make an appointment with my OD to be safe. Incidentaly, what's a depressed scleral exam?

Thanks again,
Mango

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm....i thought floaters had something to do with bowel movements.

dang...i better read some opthalmology books

j/k

Geddy