Floater quits with style

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmalt82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I was supposed to have the day off today.
Instead, I drove nearly 2 hours this morning to go through hell at a pharmacy at my chain.
Why?
A floater, who just got done taking her vacation benefits decided to quit with style.
She just didn't show up to open a store at 8AM. Instead, when the scheduler and DM called her (AT 10AM!), she apparently had a stash of laughs and expletives to throw at them over the phone.
This is pretty much the worst day of my short career so far that I have ever experienced.
Now, I'm left wishing I had the cojones to do the same.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
That a nasty thing for her to do to her co-workers (you.) The company she works for won't care, and why cuss out the scheduler who has nothing to do with the conditions of the company? Not to mention, I'm old enough to realize burning bridges is always a bad idea (regardless of how good it feels when you are young!)

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, that is just stupid and immature. Quitting is one thing but not showing up to work is another.

You want to get your revenge? Learn as much as you can and make as much money as you can from them, then quit and start a successful business.

Never let your personal feelings get in the way of making money and feeding you and your family.

Reactions: 12 users
Honestly, that is just stupid and immature. Quitting is one thing but not showing up to work is another.

You want to get your revenge? Learn as much as you can and make as much money as you can from them, then quit and start a successful business.

Never let your personal feelings get in the way of making money and feeding you and your family.

Oddly enough. This is the first time I have experienced someone quitting like this. But, I have heard about this happening once before. The pharmacist who came in after me said something along these lines: I'm sorry but its always a woman that does something like this. Last time we at least had 2 DAYS notice. But, I think she found a rich guy....LMAO

What I have learned from this experience is this: I'm no different than these other pharmacists. I'm just as stressed out as they are and I won't last long in this business either and I should quit while I'm young and still have the chance to.

^^ what you are going through is very common. But the question remains, what are you going to do to support yourself? Your only option is to keep on looking for another position but guess what? Everybody is also doing the same thing.

Some people think they can just start a "business" but they don't realize they are going to work twice as hard for half the pay (at best).

Quitting is easy. Supporting yourself is not.

^^ what you are going through is very common. But the question remains, what are you going to do to support yourself? Your only option is to keep on looking for another position but guess what? Everybody is also doing the same thing.

Some people think they can just start a business but they don't realize they are going to have to work twice as hard for half the pay.

Quitting is easy. Supporting yourself is not.

Find myself a sugar mama. Too bad I'm ugly and already feeling old.
Heck, I'll settle for a sugar daddy too. Beggars can't be choosers.

I worked with this old school guy at my first job out of school. He was the nicest guy I ever worked with, but he had a former manager that him and the techs absolutely hated. Him and the three techs at the store all accepted a job with Kmart who was opening across the street. All four of them were going to tell their manager at the end of the day on a Friday that they weren't coming back on Monday. At 1 pm Friday they hear their manager just got fired so they didn't get to do their master plan

I think its ridiculous on her part. Pharmacy is a small world. All she is doing is burning bridges and hurting her co-workers.

Not to mention, it is unprofessional because it also ends up hurting her "patients".

Reactions: 1 users
Back in early 2000s, you can literally quit in the morning and find another position in the afternoon. Not anymore. Now if a new grad quits, they just have to call another new grad. It is that simple.

I worked with this old school guy at my first job out of school. He was the nicest guy I ever worked with, but he had a former manager that him and the techs absolutely hated. Him and the three techs at the store all accepted a job with Kmart who was opening across the street. All four of them were going to tell their manager at the end of the day on a Friday that they weren't coming back on Monday. At 1 pm Friday they hear their manager just got fired so they didn't get to do their master plan

Did you get to tell a DM? The new me just wouldn't show up. Screw it. I'm just like the rest of them.

I think its ridiculous on her part. Pharmacy is a small world. All she is doing is burning bridges and hurting her co-workers.

Not to mention, it is unprofessional because it also ends up hurting her "patients".

Enough with the "patients." No pharmacist has the time, energy, or resources to deal with "patients" anymore. Now, I just call them customers and I don't counsel either. I avoid eye contact. I don't waste time with OTC questions. I override interactions that shouldn't be overridden. I live dangerously. Speed is more important that safety. I have never cared less in my entire life. I was more careful as an intern or as a student in high school than when I became a pharmacist.

For my sake, I hope this profession just burns to the ground. Then, maybe, I won't have to decide on quitting. After today, I just hope I lose my license.

Reactions: 1 user
The pharmacist who came in after me said something along these lines: I'm sorry but its always a woman that does something like this. Last time we at least had 2 DAYS notice. But, I think she found a rich guy....LMAO

The only person I know who did this in real life was a man (as far as I know he hadn't found a rich guy to take care of him.....but he had recently got divorced, so who knows?)

Members don't see this ad :)
The only person I know who did this in real life was a man (as far as I know he hadn't found a rich guy to take care of him.....but he had recently got divorced, so who knows?)

Sorry. I didn't intend to seem sexist with my comment. The next pharmacist who came in was also a woman. She was nice. She clearly saw that I looked like I had just been through a battlefield. The place was a mess. This is something I would expect men to do, not women. We don't give a f*** after a while.

What I really hated though was the fact that the district didn't tell me that there was someone who just didn't come in when they sent me in there. They just said they had last minute schedule changes. They lied to me. I found out the truth when I spoke with the technician who was waiting for me. Everyone else knew what had happened and I got a call from the DM AFTER the shift was over.

I would like to know BEFORE I walk into a warzone.

Enough with the "patients." No pharmacist has the time, energy, or resources to deal with "patients" anymore. Now, I just call them customers and I don't counsel either. I avoid eye contact. I don't waste time with OTC questions. I override interactions that shouldn't be overridden. I live dangerously. Speed is more important that safety. I have never cared less in my entire life. I was more careful as an intern or as a student in high school than when I became a pharmacist.

For my sake, I hope this profession just burns to the ground. Then, maybe, I won't have to decide on quitting. After today, I just hope I lose my license.

You just described the perfect corporate retail pharmacist. I bet if you said that at a CVS interview they'd hire you on the spot to be a DM! Hell you might get offered a Regional VP position!

I wouldn't call this style, I think it's immature and places and unfair burden upon other pharmacists that work for the company. Just outright quitting and not showing up to work after you say you quit forces these pharmacies to adjust the schedules of others to accommodate for an employee that suddenly stops and fails to honor their scheduled time commitments. It's okay to quit and be frustrated, but at least turn in a 2 week and letter of resignation so the pharmacy can prepare and adjust.

Pharmacy is a small world too, I'm not so sure it's a wise move to use profanity and anger in an over the phone "resignation" and to burn bridges and represent yourself like that.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: So true....

You just described the perfect corporate retail pharmacist. I bet if you said that at a CVS interview they'd hire you on the spot to be a DM! Hell you might get offered a Regional VP position!

That's why I quit CVS.

Well, I was supposed to have the day off today.
Instead, I drove nearly 2 hours this morning to go through hell at a pharmacy at my chain.
Why?
A floater, who just got done taking her vacation benefits decided to quit with style.
She just didn't show up to open a store at 8AM. Instead, when the scheduler and DM called her (AT 10AM!), she apparently had a stash of laughs and expletives to throw at them over the phone.
This is pretty much the worst day of my short career so far that I have ever experienced.
Now, I'm left wishing I had the cojones to do the same.

I "liked" your post to give support to you, not because I liked what she did. I quit my last (final?) job without notice too, but I sure didn't curse anyone because I did not want to do that. I HAD to do it, because the job was rapidly killing me. :(

I once had a boss who, I found out too late, had a very lengthy history of walking out on jobs without giving notice. Yep- did it there too. Pretty much everyone to whom I mentioned his name reacted the same way - "So, when's he gonna walk out of there too?"

Did you get to tell a DM? The new me just wouldn't show up. Screw it. I'm just like the rest of them.

wow, this was me during my last few months at a chain.. you nailed it. but i STILL fought so hard to care for the patients, went out of my way, even when i thought i couldnt anymore. but the rest, yeah it was the same.

im still a pharmacist, but im no longer a chain retail rph. these days, i make the same money and am so much happier. quitting that chain was one of the nicest things ive done for myself.

pre pharm students who are reading this, study hard, work hard and take out student loan, please do, so you can be a corporate retail pharmacist (most pharmacists are) and experience the most stress and anxiety you can ever imagine at a work place. you guys enjoy :)

pre pharm students who are reading this, study hard, work hard and take out student loan, please do, so you can be a corporate retail pharmacist (most pharmacists are) and experience the most stress and anxiety you can ever imagine at a work place. you guys enjoy :)

Rofl you guys are just too funny .. why did you even go into pharmacy ? I find retail to be very enjoyable , and very tolerable even in the worst of times ..

Rofl you guys are just too funny .. why did you even go into pharmacy ? I find retail to be very enjoyable , and very tolerable even in the worst of times ..

I guess everyone has a different personality and perspective on retail. Did it as an intern only....thought it sucked (like working there was literally sucking my soul out), promised myself never again. So far, I have been able to keep that promise to myself.

I guess everyone has a different personality and perspective on retail. Did it as an intern only....thought it sucked (like working there was literally sucking my soul out), promised myself never again. So far, I have been able to keep that promise to myself.
I'm like mustang sally, I've been lucky in being able to avoid retail. Here's a question to lighten the mood.... for you guys in retail, are you more likely to go off on your DM or on a patient? haha...

neither DM or patient. I just take the emotional aspect out of it and do my job. I have a great relationship with my DM and she trust me to do my job. if she have a differing view, she will actually listen to my reason and coach me if needed. patients wise, I'll do everything in my power without breaking any laws or major company policies to make them happy. I know the weird quirks of my patients and treat them accordingly. and for the patients who do not agree with me. that's where my DM trusting me to do my job comes into play.

I wouldn't call not showing up for work and then cussing out the scheduler "going out with style". Write a letter about your frustrations and attach it to your letter of resignation if you need the release. Not opening a store didn't hurt anyone at CVS except the person who covered the shift. Revenge accomplished?

Reactions: 3 users
I almost quit my prn job like this - back when we were in huge demand I stayed on at Eckerd prn after I left for my hospital, but they stupid HR department messed up and deducted health insurance out of my paycheck - after two weeks of back and forth I was told by the district DM and regional VP there was "nothing we can do" and that the "error was their fault but sorry, we can't refund you the $300 that was deducted from your paycheck in error". I was parked outside of the busiest store in the district and supposed to start working at 8. I told them either fix it or I am not going in and opening your store. I was parked there for 20 minutes when I got a call back from the lowly scheduler who was able to fix what a VP couldn't, I mean WOULDNT fix.

I did end up quitting 1 year later and gave two angry customers my DM's personal cell phone number and suggested they call and complain at 2 in the morning because he is a night owl and would probably be up still

Reactions: 3 users

This is great advice about removing personal feelings from the work place. I wish I had gotten this down pat before I broke down and cried in front of one of my bosses. Pharmacy is very stressful, especially for the pharmacists graduating recently.

Floaters are treated so poorly that I can see how this happened. If CVS is jerking you around and giving you 15 hours one week and 30 the next while sending you 2 hours away you tend to get pretty upset. They literally don't care about any of the pharmacists other than the managers because it would take a few more hours/days to replace them. If you're going to quit on your own terms why not see the DM face to face and tell them what you really think about them? I'd get a lot more enjoyment out of that.

"I find retail to be very enjoyable"

Why even bother telling such a lie? No one enjoys the actual work of being in a retail pharmacy, NO ONE. You might like your coworkers or your big paycheck, but the actual work?

Why even bother telling such a lie? No one enjoys the actual work of being in a retail pharmacy, NO ONE. You might like your coworkers or your big paycheck, but the actual work?

right? lets be honest. whoever enjoys that kind of work has issues of their own. also if 9/10 people hate it, chances are, it sucks. so again, to all the pharmacy students out there, good luck picking this profession

That's not "style", that's preschooler throwing a tempter tantrum.

The only person who really suffered as a result of her actions is you, and yet you seem to admire her? There truly is a sucker (for punishment) born every minute.

Wouldn't style be, walking out with a full drive through and like 10 waiters after standing on the counter an denouncing the corporate hierarchy to everyone present?

Yep, I actually LOVE it. I also loved working at McDonald's, the butcher shop, grocery store, and as a waiter.. so maybe something ID wrong with me .

Your statement is hilarious though, as though you know the feelings of every single retail pharmacist out there ?

Floaters are treated so poorly that I can see how this happened. If CVS is jerking you around and giving you 15 hours one week and 30 the next while sending you 2 hours away you tend to get pretty upset. They literally don't care about any of the pharmacists other than the managers because it would take a few more hours/days to replace them. If you're going to quit on your own terms why not see the DM face to face and tell them what you really think about them? I'd get a lot more enjoyment out of that.

As a floater, the one thing I hate the most is that every single pharmacy staff demands something different from me.
Every place I go to has the manager breathing down my neck about doing things their way.
Let me get this straight: I'm here for 6 to 14 hours. I may not even see your pharmacy for months or ever again actually. But, you have the nerve to demand the same specific work out of me as the regular staff that I'm only covering for here?
Also, I've either heard of or myself experienced that every chain has staff pharmacists (even the manager) that will lie to your floater face about their scheduled hours and leave early. Either that or they will come in really late because some other staff pharmacist texted them about some naive young capable kid being here. This is common during much-needed overlapping shifts. You come in at say 3PM and the staff pharmacist lies and leaves. They were supposed to be here till FIVE!.
All the chains have scheduling that is tough for the floater to view.
If you report these things, you will be retaliated against for not playing along.

As a floater, the one thing I hate the most is that every single pharmacy staff demands something different from me.
Every place I go to has the manager breathing down my neck about doing things their way.
Let me get this straight: I'm here for 6 to 14 hours. I may not even see your pharmacy for months or ever again actually. But, you have the nerve to demand the same specific work out of me as the regular staff that I'm only covering for here?
Also, I've either heard of or myself experienced that every chain has staff pharmacists (even the manager) that will lie to your floater face about their scheduled hours and leave early. Either that or they will come in really late because some other staff pharmacist texted them about some naive young capable kid being here. This is common during much-needed overlapping shifts. You come in at say 3PM and the staff pharmacist lies and leaves. They were supposed to be here till FIVE!.
All the chains have scheduling that is tough for the floater to view.
If you report these things, you will be retaliated against for not playing along.
If you do two pharmacists' jobs for two hours, you should get paid for four hours. Simple math. Just tell payroll to make the appropriate adjustments.

Wouldn't style be, walking out with a full drive through and like 10 waiters after standing on the counter an denouncing the corporate hierarchy to everyone present?

I think I can pretty much top anyone on how to go out in "style". What the OP mentioned his pharmacist did was not "style". It was a dumbas* girl doing a dumbas* thing. Pharmacy is a very small world. She's a *****.

I don't want to say how I left because it's very specific, but I will say this, what I did was pretty epic, and its exactly how I wanted to finally go. When I tell my story to people, they are like, "WTF is wrong with you, man? I understand your frustration, but you can't do stuff like that in America."

So I will agree, "style" would be literally having a massive line at drop off, an even more massive line at pick up, 6 pharmacy calls going off, being short staffed, getting cursed at for no reason, and me finally saying "F*** this shi*! I'm out you motherfuc**rs!" and closing the gate and saying peace out! What I actually did was way more epic than that, and I'm actually happy nothing happened to me legally, like my company pressing charges on me.

The company is the company of the Devil. The bright red greedy lights which charge $450 for 90 days of generic clopidogrel, $140 for 30 days of generic omperazole 40mg, or $400 for 90 days of atorvastatin 10mg is not where any normal, decent, kind and fair person would work or want to be. That's why I did a big fu*k you. Now come to my pharmacy and pay $20 for 90 days of generic Plavix, $8 for 30 days of generic Prilosec 40mg, $8 for 30 days of generic Lipitor 10mg. Treating people fairly and not cheating them is very important.

The staff pharmacists who work in my ex-store who have been there for almost 25 years are on anxiety medications, antidepressants, and PPI's. Not to mention they are also overweight and have other health issues. I know because I used to fill all their medications on Readyfill. Also, not to mention, every time I talk to the PIC she looks like she is about to cry or is already crying. It's not a healthy place. I'm young, and its a blessing in disguise to leave when you are young.

On an unrelated note, I can't believe I am on "probationary status" on an internet forum and it's been already like 20 days. WTF? It's because I told "Oldschooler" or "Oldtimer"that he sucks CVS dic*? C'mon really? It's a joke, lifetime moderator.

This is a great forum to learn from each other, and I appreciate all the input from it's members.

Last edited:
The best quit I style I've heard is when the DM came in for a visit and micromanaging the prn rph. Everyone was busy at a station but the phone kept ringing, and every station was full. Instead of helping, DM kept micromanaging and nagging hi.. The rph told him if he can do better than me, then just take over. He quit and left the DM at the busiest moment.

Reactions: 2 users
i actually liked being a floater at a chain, i felt free, like i wasnt stuck somewhere. then after like 8 months, they placed me two days a week at one store and one day a week at another, i hated them, and told the DM and the scheduler to put me back to floating. after floating to about 35 stores, i realized every store sucks, it was all coporate understaffed bull****. i wanted out. and also floating didnt place as much responsibility on me.

i actually liked being a floater at a chain, i felt free, like i wasnt stuck somewhere. then after like 8 months, they placed me two days a week at one store and one day a week at another, i hated them, and told the DM and the scheduler to put me back to floating. after floating to about 35 stores, i realized every store sucks, it was all coporate understaffed bull****. i wanted out. and also floating didnt place as much responsibility on me.

You said it best. Every store sucks. It's all corporate understaffed bullshi*. Floating was so easy. No responsibility at any store. Just come in, do the work, and leave. Zero responsibility, but it very quickly became bullshi*. I floated to a store on a Sunday when the entire store decided to have a party. Me, a floater, with 2 brand new register technicians who both it was their first day. Flu shots out the fu**ing ass. It was a 24 hour store. I got licensed in August. It was September that I went to this store. I then realized every store sucks. It was then a 3 year journey of just seeing the dumbest shi* over and over again until I couldn't take it anymore.

you did yourself a favor by quitting chain, so did i
You said it best. Every store sucks. It's all corporate understaffed bullshi*. Floating was so easy. No responsibility at any store. Just come in, do the work, and leave. Zero responsibility, but it very quickly became bullshi*. I floated to a store on a Sunday when the entire store decided to have a party. Me, a floater, with 2 brand new register technicians who both it was their first day. Flu shots out the fu**ing ass. It was a 24 hour store. I got licensed in August. It was September that I went to this store. I then realized every store sucks. It was then a 3 year journey of just seeing the dumbest shi* over and over again until I couldn't take it anymore.

I'm with type b PharmD on this one. I actually enjoy retail. quit CVS (new grad for 6 months and knew I wanted out) to go to mail order. Dream job for most rphs on here right? well I quit that to go to a grocery chain. kicking ass and loving it.

I don't understand why some of you guys don't do something about your situation until it's too late

I believe that some pharmacists enjoy it. At least, I've had enough people tell me that that I feel I have no reason to doubt them. I just know it's not for me, personally.

I think I can pretty much top anyone on how to go out in "style". What the OP mentioned his pharmacist did was not "style". It was a dumbas* girl doing a dumbas* thing. Pharmacy is a very small world. She's a *****.

I don't want to say how I left because it's very specific, but I will say this, what I did was pretty epic, and its exactly how I wanted to finally go. When I tell my story to people, they are like, "WTF is wrong with you, man? I understand your frustration, but you can't do stuff like that in America."

So I will agree, "style" would be literally having a massive line at drop off, an even more massive line at pick up, 6 pharmacy calls going off, being short staffed, getting cursed at for no reason, and me finally saying "F*** this shi*! I'm out you motherfuc**rs!" and closing the gate and saying peace out! What I actually did was way more epic than that, and I'm actually happy nothing happened to me legally, like my company pressing charges on me.

Well, now you're just leaving us hanging! For some reason, I keep imagining you taking (leaving?) a giant dookie in the middle of the drive thru lane or somewhere else equally inappropriate...

I'm with type b PharmD on this one. I actually enjoy retail. quit CVS (new grad for 6 months and knew I wanted out) to go to mail order. Dream job for most rphs on here right? well I quit that to go to a grocery chain. kicking ass and loving it.

I don't understand why some of you guys don't do something about your situation until it's too late

What do you enjoy about retail? I could see a grocery chain being a lot more tolerable than a CVS. But, I still can't think of what would be enjoyable about checking scripts day in and day out.

i would not like mail order..seems way too repetitive.

Retail gets really old really fast. I worked in one for 4 years as an intern and even though I wasn't working full time, I was already so tired of it by my 4th year.

I worked in a training store so I got to meet many of the recently hired pharmacists.....a lot of broken souls I tell you.

Seriously, what do you like about retail? I don't mean the paycheck. I don't mean how your boss is so cool or how your coworkers are so nice. I mean what do you specifically like about the work?

could be good or bad depending on how you look at it but it's all positive for me

meeting all kind of people
never a dull moment
fast paced environment
business aspect

graduated rho chi, never considered residency. hated my hospital and clinic rotations. wanted to open up my own pharmacy but the outlook on a startup is too risky. maybe the people who are doing well in retail has ownership aspirations