Floater quits with style

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^ the sale guy working at JC Penny can say the exact same thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. And some of them like their jobs. We just have a retail niche with a better paycheck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I can pretty much top anyone on how to go out in "style". What the OP mentioned his pharmacist did was not "style". It was a dumbas* girl doing a dumbas* thing. Pharmacy is a very small world. She's a *****.

I don't want to say how I left because it's very specific, but I will say this, what I did was pretty epic, and its exactly how I wanted to finally go. When I tell my story to people, they are like, "WTF is wrong with you, man? I understand your frustration, but you can't do stuff like that in America."

So I will agree, "style" would be literally having a massive line at drop off, an even more massive line at pick up, 6 pharmacy calls going off, being short staffed, getting cursed at for no reason, and me finally saying "F*** this shi*! I'm out you motherfuc**rs!" and closing the gate and saying peace out! What I actually did was way more epic than that, and I'm actually happy nothing happened to me legally, like my company pressing charges on me.

The company is the company of the Devil. The bright red greedy lights which charge $450 for 90 days of generic clopidogrel, $140 for 30 days of generic omperazole 40mg, or $400 for 90 days of atorvastatin 10mg is not where any normal, decent, kind and fair person would work or want to be. That's why I did a big fu*k you. Now come to my pharmacy and pay $20 for 90 days of generic Plavix, $8 for 30 days of generic Prilosec 40mg, $8 for 30 days of generic Lipitor 10mg. Treating people fairly and not cheating them is very important.

The staff pharmacists who work in my ex-store who have been there for almost 25 years are on anxiety medications, antidepressants, and PPI's. Not to mention they are also overweight and have other health issues. I know because I used to fill all their medications on Readyfill. Also, not to mention, every time I talk to the PIC she looks like she is about to cry or is already crying. It's not a healthy place. I'm young, and its a blessing in disguise to leave when you are young.

On an unrelated note, I can't believe I am on "probationary status" on an internet forum and it's been already like 20 days. WTF? It's because I told "Oldschooler" or "Oldtimer"that he sucks CVS dic*? C'mon really? It's a joke, lifetime moderator.

This is a great forum to learn from each other, and I appreciate all the input from it's members.

I guess you just walk out while customers were lining up without saying a word. lol

but the sales guy can't just come and work in the pharmacy. retail is retail almost across the board. looks like people who embrace it like I do will always have a job. my rho chi professor was taken aback when I told him my plans to pursue retail

Seriously, what do you like about retail? I don't mean the paycheck. I don't mean how your boss is so cool or how your coworkers are so nice. I mean what do you specifically like about the work?
I have never really worked retail full-time (a couple short-term spells no longer than three or four months notwithstanding) but the reason I have been doing it part-time for a very long time (more seniority than 2/3 of the district!) is that I like certain aspects of it. The instant gratification of the task accomplished (at my full-time job, a project can take many months to complete). The grateful patients. The interesting questions. The fast pace, which means you hardly notice the 8 hours.

I do agree that if I had to do it full-time, it would grow old really fast. Also, it's a different attitude when you do something just for kicks as opposed to your ability to keep roof over your head and food on your table depending on keeping that job.

Reactions: 1 user
I have never really worked retail full-time (a couple short-term spells no longer than three or four months notwithstanding) but the reason I have been doing it part-time for a very long time (more seniority than 2/3 of the district!) is that I like certain aspects of it. The instant gratification of the task accomplished (at my full-time job, a project can take many months to complete). The grateful patients. The interesting questions. The fast pace, which means you hardly notice the 8 hours.

I do agree that if I had to do it full-time, it would grow old really fast. Also, it's a different attitude when you do something just for kicks as opposed to your ability to keep roof over your head and food on your table depending on keeping that job.
Honestly, when patients are actually grateful the job is fine. One time I traveled about 80 minutes north to cover a shift in a different district and got sincerely thanked for an OTC recommendation. It completely blew me away. I was treated like a human instead of a Vicodin vending machine for 30 seconds. It completely changed the tone of my whole shift. It's too bad that it's such a rarity.

In retail we have a minute by minute opportunity to make someone's day .. And daily/hourly opportunity to significantly help someone's life on an immediate and personal level. Not many other well paying jobs can offer that. Yeah you can help someone have a good day at a minimum wage retail job but it's a little different when they are scared, angry, or confused, and sick...And you are offered an opportunity of trust to help them with something very personal (health). Turning pharmacy and healthcare around into a positive experience is absolutely priceless.

Last edited:
I have patients break down in tears of gratitude on a weekly basis. Our customers bring food for us and receiving hourly compliments don't hurt either.

I had one older gentleman the other day tell me he couldn't believe that anyone would complain to us, saying that the only person he trusts as much as a pharmacist is his md and his pastor, and that nobody in society should ever take them for granted or complain.

Helping to change someone's day or someone's life, or the health of themselves or that of a loved one, on a daily basis, is immensely rewarding. Whether that is helping them get meds, get the right script, or the right meds, get a claim paid , helping save a life or cure an illness by interfacing between doctor and patient, or even just by counseling or disease state teaching. .. I rarely if ever feel like I am actually "working" at my job .. at its worst it is still better than an average amusement park ride , and is at least worth a nice adrenaline rush. And as far as antidepressants and mood stabilizers go .. making $75/hr pretty much takes care of that.

So yeah.. I am a retail pharmacy junkie I guess. Maybe I am sick in the head at least according to you all.... But I think my patients would disagree.

Reactions: 3 users
I have patients break down in tears of gratitude on a weekly basis. Our customers bring food for us and receiving hourly compliments don't hurt either.

I had one older gentleman the other day tell me he couldn't believe that anyone would complain to us, saying that the only person he trusts as much as a pharmacist is his md and his pastor, and that nobody in society should ever take them for granted or complain.

Helping to change someone's day or someone's life, or the health of themselves or that of a loved one, on a daily basis, is immensely rewarding. Whether that is helping them get meds, get the right script, or the right meds, get a claim paid , helping save a life or cure an illness by interfacing between doctor and patient, or even just by counseling or disease state teaching. .. I rarely if ever feel like I am actually "working" at my job .. at its worst it is still better than an average amusement park ride , and is at least worth a nice adrenaline rush. And as far as antidepressants and mood stabilizers go .. making $75/hr pretty much takes care of that.

So yeah.. I am a retail pharmacy junkie I guess. Maybe I am sick in the head at least according to you all.... But I think my patients would disagree.

You haven't worked where I worked.

You haven't worked where I worked.

I haven't. And I know first hand that some retail is suicide level aggravation , but it's a far cry from saying that 0 retail pharmacists enjoy their job

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't. And I know first hand that some retail is suicide level aggravation , but it's a far cry from saying that 0 retail pharmacists enjoy their job

Your completely right. It depends where you work. Right now, I love my retail job working at my independent. It's the best pharmacy I have ever worked at, and I love every minute of being there. Even if I get upset, and I rarely ever do, it doesn't matter, because I love working there. I want my independent to survive for the next 30 years and I want to make it my own.

Most chains, and especially CVS stores, suck balls to the max. I'm sorry if I don't clarify when I write my posts, but most of the time when I say retail is absolute bullsh** I am talking about CVS stores specifically. That's all I know. Finding a well run, well managed CVS store is very hard. There are a few people on this board who swear they work in one or run one. I believe them, but they really are the only ones.

i think ive met many chain pharmacists, from classmates to friends, to the pharmacists ive met when i floated to over 35 stores with my chain, i honestly have only met maybe 3 content pharmacists working for chains. most people are miserable, for obvious reasons.

Seriously, what do you like about retail? I don't mean the paycheck. I don't mean how your boss is so cool or how your coworkers are so nice. I mean what do you specifically like about the work?

I like the continuity of seeing how patients do and recover. With hospital, we send the patients home, and never find out afterwards how they are doing (well, except for the rebound patients that bounce back in.)
I like the fast pace, keeps things interesting.
I like that its impossible to predict how a day will go, its always a surprise on what kind of patients will be in that day.
I like the immediate feedback and gratitude I sometimes get when I help a patient figure out a medication problem or help them with OTC treatments.
I like having windows & being able to see outside (yea, maybe all hospitals don't have pharmacy in the basement or in a windowless cubicle.....but the majority of the ones I've worked in have.)