Floating Pharmacist mileage and overnight pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexington2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that some Costco floating pharmacists get paid their regular wage when driving to their work site. I was also told that if it is more than an 60 miles away that CostCo will pay a flat wage to cover a hotel stay.

IS any of this true? What is there to stop someone from just pocketing the extra flat wage?

Members don't see this ad.

This was used to be the norm for every companies back then. You got your standard hourly rate when you drive far... not in 2016.

What is standard now for CVS/WAGS?

Members don't see this ad :)
CVS policy -
Floaters: (the miles you drove minus 60 base miles)*0.47 = mileage
the miles you drive are round trip miles
ex: (drove 67 miles - 60 miles)*0.47 = $3.29

As best I remember, WAGS rate is $0.54/mile past 60 miles. $25/day for meals (and they will cover one 'adult beverage'). Never had any limit on reimbursement for hotel rooms, but I also never pushed the limits.

So they expect you to travel 30 miles there and 30 miles back on your own time?

Most people commute on their own time. But I could see getting mileage reimbursement being a reasonable perk of floating.

Reactions: 1 user
Cvs is 30 miles base (round trip). That's what I got when I floated till October last year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

At cvs you get paid out in cash by the store manager or shift supervisor. The mileage was done on the honor system. You report it and they log it. No one seems to know how the system worked. Some tell me it was miles minus 60 miles, miles minus 30 miles, some told me miles minus usual distance to home store. I asked other pharmacists and their answers also varied and some said there is no pay out. Even the supervisors made up different stories. I wonder if mileage payout is different for union techs, nonunion techs, or pharmacists. If they ever audit by mileage I'll just play dumb because honestly I don't know.

Reactions: 1 user
At cvs you get paid out in cash by the store manager or shift supervisor. The mileage was done on the honor system. You report it and they log it. No one seems to know how the system worked. Some tell me it was miles minus 60 miles, miles minus 30 miles, some told me miles minus usual distance to home store. I asked other pharmacists and their answers also varied and some said there is no pay out. Even the supervisors made up different stories. I wonder if mileage payout is different for union techs, nonunion techs, or pharmacists. If they ever audit by mileage I'll just play dumb because honestly I don't know.
This perfectly summarizes my experience with the miles system at Cvs. I have even had stories claim that it's the number of miles from your home store to the store you're at regardless of what your actual commute is.

We recently got an email from the pharmacy supervisor clarifying how the miles system is supposed to work so perhaps they're trying to bring everyone in line with a corporate directive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile app

Oh but I disagree with the part about it being on the honor system though I've had stores have me fill out forms ask to see my drivers license and even had stories claim that I was required to print out a MapQuest from my home to the store

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile app