Florida Dental Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umc27

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'd like to take the Florida Boards this June, but I have a couple questions. Your help would we much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Is the Florida Board essentially the same exam as the NERB?

2. Does anyone know the fees associated with the Gordy Course and the Becker Course?

3. Are there any resources (other than to Gordy and Becker courses) to prepare for the clinical exam?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I'd like to take the Florida Boards this June, but I have a couple questions. Your help would we much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Is the Florida Board essentially the same exam as the NERB?

2. Does anyone know the fees associated with the Gordy Course and the Becker Course?

3. Are there any resources (other than to Gordy and Becker courses) to prepare for the clinical exam?

Thanks!

1- exactly the same. However they are supposedly moving to the ADEX in 2 yrs

2- very expensive. Around $8-9K last I heard. Call them for more updated info

3- those are the only two prep courses. Otherwise your on your on trying to find patients. If your coming from out of state it may be difficult to do that

Does anyone have any experience with either the Gordy or Becker courses? Any recommendations?

Does anyone have any experience with either the Gordy or Becker courses? Any recommendations?

i didnt take it; but many of my friends who took the exam with me did. like i said they're expensive; but you dont have to worry about finding patients. they provide patients for you and even have backup patients waiting. the downside is that you dont meet them before the exam (actually 2-3 days before) so you dont have any repor with them. for the most part they're fine; there were a few people who's patients had high BP or lesions were too big; but for the most part they're good patients. you do get to see the xrays a few days before so if it looks too big or something you can ask for a new patient. however they have been doing this for many years so they know how to pick out good patients for the most part. in terms of which one is better; they're both the same if your just looking for patients; go with the cheaper one. good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed that the computer portion of the Florida Board is administered by Prometric. Does this exam have to be taken in Florida? Does anyone have experience taking it at a Prometric center out of state?

Two questions about the Florida Board...

1) Are cavitrons allowed on the perio section?
2) Are assistants allowed (like the WREB)?

Just passed Florida boards without the course. I think course is only good if you don't have patients. If you are in dental school and follow the manual you can pass this without a course.

Congrats Ething!!!
How did you prepare for the written (prometric) portion of the exam? Is it the same as the National Dental Board Part II? Does the exam focus on all subjects in the dental decks or does focus on specific areas like pros: fiixed, removable, perio and radiographs... Any input is appreciated.

Another question: If you fail one part of the clinical exam (the Class II amalgam, for example)... do you have to retake the whole patient portion? Or just that lesion?

the clinical portion is two parts; perio (SRP) and restorative (class II and III). if you fail the srp you only re-do perio. if you fail either the class II or III you fail the entire restorative section and have to re do the restorative part (class II and III). ie; if you pass your class II but fail class III you still have to redo both

Thanks for that info!

Two more questions:

1. Are there any patient finding services (in either Gainesville or Fort Lauderdale) other than the Gordy or Becker courses?

2. Are both the Gordy and Becker courses available in both Gainesville and Fort Lauderdale?

Thanks for that info!

Two more questions:

1. Are there any patient finding services (in either Gainesville or Fort Lauderdale) other than the Gordy or Becker courses?
those are the only two i've heard of; i doubt there are others, as i'm sure people would be using them

2. Are both the Gordy and Becker courses available in both Gainesville and Fort Lauderdale?

usually yes; but it's usually based on how many people are using their services; but for the last many years they're at both

Does anyone know the difference in fees between the Gordy and the Becker courses? (Please send me a private message if that would be more comfortable)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am out of state and will be taking Florida boards in June. Would anyone of you know where could I lease or buy instruments/equipment for the exam at a low/reduced price?
Thank you

Hi everyone... I'm finished dental school recently in New York, but I'm from Florida and would like to take Florida boards next year. Florida likes to complicate things huh?

Could someone help clarify what the ADLEX is? I hear after Oct 1st I can take ADLEX in any state and it will be valid for Florida. Is the ADLEX like NERB with both question and clinical portions? Sucks to have to do it again, but it would be easier to get patients if I can do ADLEX on my home turf.

The diagnostic skill exam, is that question or clinical?

This is what I have so far:
1) Dental school + NBDE
2) ADLEX
3) Florida Laws and Rules
4) Diagnostic skills exam
5) Malpractice insurance

Thanks!

hello everyone. i passed without the course but i still have not taken the law portion yet. if you have any questions just pm me. i still have the instruments needed if anyone would like them. does anyone have any advice on how to study the law portion (i'm dreading reading that big booklet they mailed me). thanks and good luck.

hello everyone. i passed without the course but i still have not taken the law portion yet. if you have any questions just pm me. i still have the instruments needed if anyone would like them. does anyone have any advice on how to study the law portion (i'm dreading reading that big booklet they mailed me). thanks and good luck.
I will take the Oct Dental Board and I am looking for any study guides to prepare for the diagnostic skills exam. Any suggestion???

Hello, I am out of state and will be taking Florida boards in June. Would anyone of you know where could I lease or buy instruments/equipment for the exam at a low/reduced price?
Thank you
I will take the Oct Dental Board and I am looking for any study guides to prepare for the diagnostic skills exam. Any suggestion???

Just passed Florida boards without the course. I think course is only good if you don't have patients. If you are in dental school and follow the manual you can pass this without a course.
My Email: [email protected]

Hi I'm taking the florida boards on October 28-30 I needed an dental assistant for the exam if anyone knows any UF dental students of people in the area please let me know. Will pay $100 per day. contact me at [email protected]

I'm taking the Florida ADEX exam on October 28 and 29. If anyone knows of a good assistant, please send me a personal message. I will compensate well.

Hello everyone. i'm planning to move to soon next year and i need to take the Florida in order to work there. I heard Florida now will accept the NERB as well. not sure if this is correct. anyway, would some one please tell me when is the next registration for the exam and where would i get the study material for the diagnostic portion? Thanks for the help!!!

Does anyone have any tips on how to study for the Dental Rules and Law exam. What did you do to prepare? How are the questions?

I am looking to buy/rent Florida board materials for May 11th Gainesville board exam. Specifically I need: turbine hand piece, cavitron, omron blood pressure and whatever else you suggest. I also am looking to message someone who has taken this. I am from out-of-state and have questions. Thank you so much!

I am taking the May board exam but I am not sure the best place to buy or lease instruments. If anyone knows where to get instruments at a decent price or if you have instruments please email me. My email is [email protected]. Thank you!

Cavitron - Yes
Assistants - Yes ( certain guidelines though - ex. no hygienists, EFDA's, lab techs, 3rd/4th yr. dental
students, dentists, etc. )

Florida Nerbs

Last edited:
Does anyone know which model Columbia typodont is being used for Florida Nerbs?

Is it Model # : M-PVR-860 FSB-09 or M-PVR-860 ????

I know FSB stands for Florida State Board, but not sure if it's the same since Nerb took over & administers the exam now.

Nerb uses the M-PVR -860 for the NorthEast Board exams, (NJ, NY, PA, Ct.,etc.)

Called Columbia Dentoform Co. & they said they are almost the same but there are slight differences. Also called Nerb in MD but couldn't get straight answer. They said would get back to me but haven't heard anything.

Taking Florida Nerb May/2012 U of FLA. - Gainsville.

Much appreciated if anyone could help me out with answer to this question. Thanks

I am taking NERBS in Gainesville may 12-13 ,

I was wondering myself what kind of den tech do they use ?
Is anyone taking Becker's course ?
Anyone taken the written DSE exam and the laws exam ?
Does anyone have the study material for both of those tests ?
Anyone given the exam yet and can share the experience , both written and patient/manniquin exam?

I will be taking Dr. Beckers class for May exam. I haven't taken the dse part yet (I don't have authorization since I just registered and paid) do we have to take dse before the clinical?

Does anyone know how and where to apply for the May 2012 exam? The info used to be on the Florida Boards website but the May exam info is still not available.

hey! i am new to this thread.
I am a foreign trained dentist and had been planning to take a 2yr MS course and apply for a license in Florida. But according to what i found recently, Florida dental board no longer holds us eligible for a license if we do not hold a DDS/ DMD (i.e. if i have dental degree from home country and MS from accredited school in USA)....please correct me if i am interpreting it wrong.

this is the link i found it on....
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/dentistry/dn_lic_req.html#
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/dentistry/info_DN_Lic_req.pdf

please help. thank u...

Hi, Does anyone know how far out timewise the GOrdy course is from the actual exam?
Are these both held at Nova? Do you need to fly back and forth for the course and then for the exam?
If you use their "patient screening services" do you still need to pay your patient or are the compensating them for you? Are they going to ensure you show up?
Im not from florida, but need to take the Adex to move to hawaii.
How do they accept payment for this course?

Does anyone have any tips on how to study for the Dental Rules and Law exam. What did you do to prepare? How are the questions?

Check out WWW.FloridaDentalLaw.com

It has a great course for the FL. Law exam. Easy to read manual and over 500 sample questions. Updated regularly

This is the same law course used for years & currently still used by the Becker course; with excellent results.

Last edited:
If I had the opportunity to take the boards for a Fl license, by taking the ADEX in another state, I would. The exams may be the same, but Fl exam in FL is noted for rejecting patients at a very high rate. Take the exam outside of FL. use FloridaDentalLaw.com to take law exam.