Florida dental hygiene written exam requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anooogy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read that they have changed their requirements and no longer accept international dentists without 2 academic years of studying in the United States, Can anybody confirm this?
I only want to take the test to improve my application package when applying for the Advanced Placement programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I read that they have changed their requirements and no longer accept international dentists without 2 academic years of studying in the United States, Can anybody confirm this?
I only want to take the test to improve my application package when applying for the Advanced Placement programs.

Florida State Dental Board website doesn't seem to be up to date...
"This page was last modified on: 10/6/2012 08:51:01"

But anyway, the info provided there confirms that graduates from non accredited dental schools (read - foreign trained dentists) only need to pass the dental hygiene board (or the NBDE, at least that's what I could get from what I've read) to apply for the license... After evaluating your credentials, according to the website, they might ask you to complete any extra requirements that they judge necessary.

Florida State Dental Board website - font: ADA

Dental Hygiene - Licensure Requirements (03/30/2012)

Quick question where did you read that they've changed the requirements?

Members don't see this ad :)

Can you share the source where you read it?

So sorry for taking forever but I actually checked this post accidentally while searching again for the requirements , Have never received any kind of replies to my email.. (very weird)... my apologies.

Anyway the website is http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/dentistry/dn_lic_req.html

it says "IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR GRADUATES OF NON-ACCREDITED
DENTAL SCHOOLS SEEKING DENTAL LICENSURE IN FLORIDA
On March 23, 2012, Governor Rick Scott signed legislation effective immediately that
requires applicants to complete at least 2 consecutive academic years at a full-time
supplemental general dentistry program accredited by the American Dental Association
Commission on Dental Accreditation. This program must provide didactic and clinical
education at the level of a D.D.S. or D.M.D. program accredited by the American Dental
Association Commission on Dental Accreditation"

As you see I was reading all the time about the Dental Licensure not the Dental Hygiene requirements,

This is what happened when you decide to search for something online at 3:00 AM!!

promise to read things twice in THE MORNING next time :D

Hello I am an dentist from India .Would like to go for the NBHE exam,and need some information :
1.Do you have to give the NBDHE exam to practise as a DH in USA or the do they consider your dental degree for apponinting you as a DH
2.As stated on the NBDHE website the requirment for giving the NBDHE is same as NBDE exam i.e you have to get your credentials evaluated.Just wanted to confirm.........:)
3.Being a dentist, my basic aim is to get licensed as a dentist in USA ,either through the advanced dental programmes or though DDS.I know the pathway is very difficult, wanted to ask wether the earnings from practising as a DH would be enough to cope with the examination as well as the living expenses in US.
4. What would be the other patway the one would recommend to cope with all the requirments?
would really appreciate if someone could reply......................:)

dental hygienist requirements vary from state to state. However there are obviously a few requirements that are similar acroos the board. This URL should help provide the required information http://dentalhygienisttraininghq.org/how-to-become-a-dental-hygienist/