Florida Gulf Coast University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DptFLA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied here and have you received any word from them. I applied and I received a letter with my University Identification Number but that letter states I cannot check updates on my application status until they send my PIN which was supposed to be mailed 3 weeks after my application was sent. Now it has been nearly 2 months and still no word...any ideas as to why????

Members don't see this ad.

I applied here as well. On February 5th I received an email which said that they had just completed entering everyones information into their database, and on Feb. 8th the admissions committee would begin looking at everyone's individual scores & information.

I would imagine that we should all start hearing back in the next couple of weeks about our status'. They are pretty helpful if you email them, so if you send them a message they might be able to give a more accurate timeline.

Hope that helped!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I didn't do the PT program at FGCU (I'm leaving for an OT program in CA), but I did a year and a half of undergrad at FGCU and DID NOT LIKE IT, so I thought I'd warn you guys of my experience.

I lived in the "wellness" dorms that promote a healthy lifestyle and still had roommates who came home drunk, and had their boyfriends literally living with us. It even went so far as to one of my roommates letting guys she had never met in to our apartment (the dorms are apt. style) and ended in her being raped. I did NOT feel safe living there. I know people who loved it, but I hated it. The facilities are great - pretty nice gym, you can take the boat out on the lake and do water sports with it, there's a shuttle that goes from the dorms to the main campus.... but.... professors expect you to party, the students are sub par. I did not appreciate being in a place where so little was expected of me - it was degrading. Honestly, only go here if you don't have the GPA for a better school, or if you already live in Fort Myers.

I cannot express to you how grateful I am to be leaving and going to a private university --after FGCU I went to Edison State College, which is MUCH cheaper and actually liked it better than FGCU. I don't mean to sound like a prude - I'm not some little rich girl who thinks private university is better than public - I just want to make sure you are warned. I flat out tell people that my year at FGCU was the worst in my life.

Good luck to all of you -- if you choose FGCU I hope you have a better experience than I did!

FLsurfer, I'm glad FGCU will work for you -- I just wanted to make sure people had a fair warning. I wish I had.

There's no dispute that the facilities are great - I was part of sailing club for a while, the lake is fantastic - there are kayaks and paddle-boats other than the boat you can reserve for activities. Though good luck finding a good place to surf in this area. If you do, then let me know! I miss surfing SO MUCH and still have 4 months before I start my masters program and get back to the CA beaches.

Again, good luck everyone with whatever you choose!

I went to FGCU for all 4 years of undergrad and loved it! I really felt like the school cared about the students. The school is only 10 years old so everything is new, and therefore so is the PT program, which is why I didn't apply there for PT school, as much as I loved the school itself. If I would have applied when I graduated in 2008, I would have been part of the first DPT class there, which, I might be wrong, cannot be accredited until a full class has gone through.
Regardless, I think FGCU is a great school. Yeah people can be crazy, but from what I've heard it is definitely not as bad as other public FL schools. I lived off campus all 4 years, the old dorms were really nice, apartment style. I know bad things can happen anywhere, but I felt so much safer there than at Emory where I am now. So many people I know have been the victims of crime here (including me, I had my new shipment of $200 worth of textbooks stolen from a locked mailbox). At FGCU you were hear about occasional things happening, but its not the norm. I would leave my car doors unlocked and feel fine about it.

Got the acceptance letter yesterday. It seems FGCU is a very young school, as well as its DPT program. Does anyone have some idea about the reputation of the progam, the size of the class, etc? From the website of APTA, the ratio of teacher vs. stduent is great.

Yun, FGCU has had their DPT program ever since the school opened in 1997. The size of the PT class is small, usually 22-25 students a year. The program is accredited and has been since they have offered the program. I know that the program has a lot of ties so getting out of state clinicals are even possible.

FLSurferDPT, you've decided on FGCU? I received an offer of admission too but I'm having a hard time deciding between it and UCF. The advantage for FGCU is cost but I've lived in Fort Myers and found it real boring. UCF is in Orlando, which seems like it would be much more fund and I really liked the campus there, but the tuition is $21,000 more over the three years. Besides the beaches, what made you choose FGCU?

FLsurferDPT, is there a reason that you made that group private? I think it would be helpful to have it public so that people considering FGCU could see their potential future classmates.

Gator and FL surfer, I was wondering if you could give me some info on UF and the gainesville area. I am thinking of doing the DPT program there because of the in state tuition. Any Info would be appreciated especially on where to live. Thanks

I went to UF from 2004-2008 for undergrad. I thought it was amazing and have thought hard about returning for DPT school. There are some shady parts but for the most part, if you stay near the campus, it's nice. I really miss the restaurants there and all of the sports you can watch (free for the most part). I'm not sure if I'll return because I'm older and feel like I might have outgrown the part of Gainesville that made it exciting to me when I was in undergrad. There are really cheap places to live near the school. I've lived on 16th Ave (GREAT bus route) and the apartments there were where a lot of grad students lived. No parties really but most of the places were unfurnished there. I also lived in the Estates(very expensive, and sometimes noisy, but good bus route) and Gateway (good bus route, very cheap, and furnished). Hope this helps!