Florida International University vs Florida Gulf Coast University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rawlinsb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having the hardest time deciding between these two schools.

FGCU - http://www.fgcu.edu/chp/pt/ptdpt/
FIU - http://cnhs.fiu.edu/pt/future.html

FGCU is located in Fort Myers while FIU is near Miami. I think I would like Fort Myers better because it is not as busy there. I know that FGCU has offered a MPT and this fall is the first time they will be offering DPT. They are accredited though. FGCU costs about $30k for the 115 credits while FIU costs $42k for 113 credits. Does anyone know anything about these programs to maybe help me make my decision?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

To go beyond your question and (possibly) talk out of a hypothetical, I would say, based on the timing of your post and the start dates of each of the schools (both begin in the fall), that you have yet to apply to a school.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem likely you have been offered admission to each school and are just now getting around to deciding which one you will choose to attend.

If that is the case, my advice would be to apply to both schools, and possibly a few more. It is always good to keep in mind that while you want to go to a school that is your first choice, you may not fall within said school's top applicants--leaving you with a rejection letter, and a year to wait.

If that is not the case, and you really are choosing a school for this fall,there are several routes you can take to help you decide. You can look at the pass rate of each school's students on the National Boards (all of the schools I researched had this disclosed within their info...but yours in particular may not have it published, although, you could ask for it directly), the labs/equipment available to the program, the 'prestige of the professors,' or you can go with the cheaper one...not necessarily one that is cheaper in overall tuition, but look at housing and cost of living in each area too.

That said, my best advice would be to go with the one that just feels right. If you visit both schools and take the time to research each program thoroughly , you will have an idea where you are most likely to excel.

Hope this helps.

To go beyond your question and (possibly) talk out of a hypothetical, I would say, based on the timing of your post and the start dates of each of the schools (both begin in the fall), that you have yet to apply to a school.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem likely you have been offered admission to each school and are just now getting around to deciding which one you will choose to attend.

If that is the case, my advice would be to apply to both schools, and possibly a few more. It is always good to keep in mind that while you want to go to a school that is your first choice, you may not fall within said school's top applicants--leaving you with a rejection letter, and a year to wait.

If that is not the case, and you really are choosing a school for this fall,there are several routes you can take to help you decide. You can look at the pass rate of each school's students on the National Boards (all of the schools I researched had this disclosed within their info...but yours in particular may not have it published, although, you could ask for it directly), the labs/equipment available to the program, the 'prestige of the professors,' or you can go with the cheaper one...not necessarily one that is cheaper in overall tuition, but look at housing and cost of living in each area too.

That said, my best advice would be to go with the one that just feels right. If you visit both schools and take the time to research each program thoroughly , you will have an idea where you are most likely to excel.

Hope this helps.

I actually did get accepted and waited until the very last minute to decide which school to go to. I was accepted into FGCU, FIU, UNF and NOVA. I decided to go to FGCU because the program has had a lot of success and the overall costs were much less than FIU and NOVA. Thanks for the help! I didn't decide on a school until 2 weeks before the first day or school. I'm so indecisive sometimes, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anybody know about either school's curriculum? Comparing both, i see that fgcu has a lot more online classes and research than fiu. Any current students or future students of either school know which curriculum would be better? I'm having a hard time deciding between both schools. Fgcu is in a lot nicer area but fiu just opened up in a new building and i was really impressed by both schools. Fiu is about 10,000 more for tuition but i would much rather live where fgcu is location.

Also has anyone been in a program that used online courses for the dpt? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.
where did you go?

Well.. I was accepted into the program at FIU.. checked out the school and area.. and decided against it. The Surrounding area is pretty seedy... Now on the other hand, if it were UM...in Coral Gables that's another story. UM's campus and surrounding areas are ridiculously nice..

Although FGCU is kinda out in the everglades, its in a new area.. with a lot of potential growth with tons of new amenities(malls, restaurants, etc). Both FGCU and FIU have almost identical Board Pass Rates( 97.37 FGCU/97.47 FIU), which are both great rates.

Then cost, FGCU's tuition is cheaper... and the cost of living is cheaper as well in Fort Meyers.

FIU is in Miami which does offer a ton of night life shopping.. etc. But the majority of all that is pretty good drive from the Doral area(FIU).

Based on all of these points...Cost..Immediate Surrounding area....Board pass rates, I would go with FGCU.

Here is the link to board pass rates by school.

https://www.fsbpt.org/ForCandidates...x.asp?ExamLevel=PT&PublishYear=2009&label=658