Florida MPJE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaucon1973

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I took the Florida MPJE 4 week ago, and I didn't make it. I only study from the material from the board and the book guide to federal pharmacy law. Most of the questions are kind of related to real practice, and I even don't know where to look for the answers :(( I heard this book http://www.helppasspharmacylaw.com/ is a good for MPJE preparing, but it is too expensive. I just wonder if anyone has this book for sell or any idea about preparing for the MPJE in Florida. I am thinking to retake the exam within one month. I do appreciate your help.

Gaucon

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
I took the Florida MPJE 4 week ago, and I didn't make it. I only study from the material from the board and the book guide to federal pharmacy law. Most of the questions are kind of related to real practice, and I even don't know where to look for the answers :(( I heard this book http://www.helppasspharmacylaw.com/ is a good for MPJE preparing, but it is too expensive. I just wonder if anyone has this book for sell or any idea about preparing for the MPJE in Florida. I am thinking to retake the exam within one month. I do appreciate your help.

Gaucon

i ordered the prontopass cards, and i have the rxlaw.org review notes, is that enough to study for the exam? ill be taking it in a month or 2

The law part on ProntoPass had a low mark. At least thats what I saw in my notes from NOVA. A really good book is the one thats mentioned in my previous post.

I'm giving myself 6 days to study for law. Is this a bad move? All I have to study are the Florida BOP site, Guide to Federal Pharmacy Law, and my lecture notes from school.

I have the Naplex scheduled soon after that, so I can't really afford to spend a ton of time on it.

Good luck to everyone!

I am taking the law at the end of the month. If anyone has the UF law, I would appreciate it if you can share it with me.

Thank you

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey i have the Florid MPJE and i have a job pending the results waiting can somebody, send me materials to use to study for the exam ASAP. My email is [email protected]. please put flroida MPJE int he subject line

Can anyone explain to me how the Florida Prescription Control Drug Monitoring works? Too much detail in the rxlaw notes...

So what is the difference between misbranding and adulteration?

Here is the question from the link:
A medication is produces in an unclean environment. This would be considerd:
A)Adulteration
B)Misbranding
C) Misrepresentation
D)Misguidance

The example you gave would be adulteration.

Adulteration refers to the composition of the product (how it was made, if it is under GMP standards, unapproved additives, expired drug, etc.), while misbranding refers to how it is labeled (unauthorized refills, incorrect quantity, incorrect drug name, etc).

However, the tricky part that I've seen on practice questions is when a drug is listed for the wrong strength. Say a product label states that it is a 5% cream, when in reality it is a 2% cream. This is NOT misbranding. I guess this would be adulteration (kind of like a decomposition since it is a lesser strength), though I have not seen it stated as such in any of my references.

Another question for you regarding the same sort of thing.

If an expired drug is on the shelf of a pharmacy, it is considered:

• adulterated
  • misbranded
  • adulterated and misbranded
  • none of the above

I'll hold off on the answer for an hour or so, just to see if we get any other replies.

One other thing. I bought a package of tests from the prempje.com site, and I would definitely recommend others to do the same. I have only taken one test so far (got a 78% on it, yikes), but it asks you all kinds of different questions that I didn't even think about. And according to what these threads and my friends have said about the test, it seems to be right on par with it. It also gives detailed explanations about the answers, and has an option to submit your own questions for further clarification (I submitted a few already, still waiting on the response). Check it out.

I'd say misbranding, too. Can anyone tell me where to find info on e-kits and the pharmacist's responsibility regarding them? I can't seem to find this info on the Florida board site. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I'm all over this thread recently. Can you tell I have the MPJE in 2 days?

However, the tricky part that I've seen on practice questions is when a drug is listed for the wrong strength. Say a product label states that it is a 5% cream, when in reality it is a 2% cream. This is NOT misbranding. I guess this would be adulteration (kind of like a decomposition since it is a lesser strength), though I have not seen it stated as such in any of my references.

I just got my answer. This is ADULTERATION since it contains a drug who's "strength, quality, or purity is lower than that listed on the label" as stated in Reiss and Hall (page 55). I could see an argument that if it is sold to the patient it is both adulteration AND misbranding (as in the question I posted earlier), but i guess strictly speaking it is just adulteration.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
mindovermatter, i also heard that some of the answers in prempje website is wrong, but i will be purchasing them and doing it tonight. Also do you mind sending your thing to me in email too? i sent you a pm

Last edited:
Another question for you regarding the same sort of thing.

If an expired drug is on the shelf of a pharmacy, it is considered:

• adulterated
  • misbranded
  • adulterated and misbranded
  • none of the above

So the answer is adulterated and misbranded. It is adulterated because it is expired, and since it is still on the shelf it is misbranded. At least that's what the preMPJE said.

Last edited:
Here is another question for you:

Rph recieves an order for LOVAZA(tm). Instead of filling LOVAZA, the rph fills Omega 3 fish oil capsules, with LOVAZA label. This scenerio can be best described as which of the following:

A) Adulterated
B) Minsbranded
C)Adulterated and misbranded
D) None of the above

Here is another question for you:

Rph recieves an order for LOVAZA(tm). Instead of filling LOVAZA, the rph fills Omega 3 fish oil capsules, with LOVAZA label. This scenerio can be best described as which of the following:

A) Adulterated
B) Minsbranded
C)Adulterated and misbranded
D) None of the above

Misbranding? I don't think it would be adulteration, even though the rph made an incorrect substitution.

So the answer is adulterated and misbranded. It is adulterated because it is expired, and since it is still on the shelf it is misbranded. At least that's what the preMPJE said.

nothing happen to the drug so its misbranding all the way..you dispense it claiming its unexpired when really it is..

I'm voting for misbranding - the content of the bottle is intact so it's not adulterated but the label is wrong - misbranding.

Alright, you guys made me hunt down the answer. See number (9) below.

[SIZE=-1]499.006 Adulterated drug or device.

A drug or device is adulterated:
(1) If it consists in whole or in part of any filthy, putrid, or decomposed substance;
(2) If it has been produced, prepared, packed, or held under conditions whereby it could have been contaminated with filth or rendered injurious to health;
(3) If it is a drug and the methods used in, or the facilities or controls used for, its manufacture, processing, packing, or holding do not conform to, or are not operated or administered in conformity with, current good manufacturing practices to assure that the drug meets the requirements of this part and that the drug has the identity and strength, and meets the standard of quality and purity, which it purports or is represented to possess;
(4) If it is a drug and its container is composed, in whole or in part, of any poisonous or deleterious substance which could render the contents injurious to health;
(5) If it is a drug and it bears or contains, for the purpose of coloring only, a color additive that is unsafe within the meaning of the federal act; or, if it is a color additive, the intended use of which in or on drugs is for the purpose of coloring only, and it is unsafe within the meaning of the federal act;
(6) If it purports to be, or is represented as, a drug the name of which is recognized in the official compendium, and its strength differs from, or its quality or purity falls below, the standard set forth in such compendium. The determination as to strength, quality, or purity must be made in accordance with the tests or methods of assay set forth in such compendium, or, when such tests or methods of assay are absent or inadequate, in accordance with those tests or methods of assay prescribed under authority of the federal act. A drug defined in the official compendium is not adulterated under this subsection merely because it differs from the standard of strength, quality, or purity set forth for that drug in such compendium if its difference in strength, quality, or purity from such standard is plainly stated on its label;
(7) If it is not subject to subsection (6) and its strength differs from, or its purity or quality falls below the standard of, that which it purports or is represented to possess;
(8) If it is a drug:(a) With which any substance has been mixed or packed so as to reduce the quality or strength of the drug; or
(b) For which any substance has been substituted wholly or in part;
(9) If it is a drug or device for which the expiration date has passed;
(10) If it is a prescription drug for which the required pedigree paper is nonexistent, fraudulent, or incomplete under the requirements of this part or applicable rules, or that has been purchased, held, sold, or distributed at any time by a person not authorized under federal or state law to do so; or
(11) If it is a prescription drug subject to, defined by, or described by s. 503(b) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act which has been returned by a veterinarian to a limited prescription drug veterinary wholesale distributor.
History.—s. 34, ch. 82-225; s. 1, ch. 83-265; ss. 10, 52, ch. 92-69; s. 9, ch. 2003-155; s. 1, ch. 2006-92; s. 6, ch. 2008-207.[/SIZE]

Source

And just for the sake of completion, here is the definition of misbranding

Where are the specific details about emergency kits in FL?

That's a very good question. I've been looking for the answer but I can't find it. I might just call up one of the hospital pharmacies where I did rotations and see if one of the clinical pharmacists knows.

This will be the fourth time I have taken the MPJE, and I always have a question regarding e-kits for nursing homes. I thought about calling the Florida Board today and asking them where this info is found!

In Reiss and Hall there is a question regarding a pharmacist dispensing a refill for a prescription that originally was written for Adalat but labels the refill as Procardia. R&H say this is misbranding. I suppose if the refill label just said 'nifedipine' it would be fine.

enterprise this will be the fourth time taking the Florida MPJE? what the hell?!! is it really that hard?

This will be the fourth time I have taken the MPJE, and I always have a question regarding e-kits for nursing homes. I thought about calling the Florida Board today and asking them where this info is found!
This is from 65B-38.0 for Long Term Care Facilities:
(9) Emergency Medication Kit – When choosing to use an emergency medication kit, the facility must adhere to the following:
(a) The physician consultant, pharmacist consultant, and registered nurse shall select drugs and ancillary equipment to be included in the emergency medication kit.
(b) The kit shall be maintained and safeguarded in accordance with federal and state laws and regulations pertaining to the specific drug items included.
(c) The consultant pharmacist shall be responsible to assure that all drug items are in date, properly labeled, controlled, and stored in a sealed container.
(d) When the seal is broken for any reason, the pharmacist shall be notified immediately not later than the beginning of the next business day and shall provide the facility with the necessary medications to replenish the kit.
(e) The pharmacist or the registered nurse may then check the contents, replace necessary items and reseal the kit.
(f) Controlled drugs may be placed in the Emergency Medical Kit. Up to five controlled drugs may be placed in the Emergency Medical Kit with up to three doses of each controlled drug for up to 60 licensed beds and an additional three doses for each 60 beds or major portion thereof.

Only thing I could find, tell us what the board told you

Oops...no, I've taken the MPJE in 3 states (NC, SC and KY) and have passed each time. Still, it is always scary each time I take it because I remember how difficult it is!

Thanks for finding the info on e-kits. I think that is the best that I have seen so far!

Florida Board of Pharmacy referred me to the Florida Nursing Home Administration web site, and all I could find was this:

[SIZE=-1]400.142 Emergency medication kits; orders not to resuscitate.—(1) Other provisions of this chapter or of chapter 465, chapter 499, or chapter 893 to the contrary notwithstanding, each nursing home operating pursuant to a license issued by the agency may maintain an emergency medication kit for the purpose of storing medicinal drugs to be administered under emergency conditions to residents residing in such facility.
(2) The agency shall adopt such rules as it may deem appropriate to the effective implementation of this act, including, but not limited to, rules which:(a) Define the term “emergency medication kit.”
(b) Describe the medicinal drugs eligible to be placed in emergency medication kits.
(c) Establish requirements for the storing of medicinal drugs in emergency medication kits and the maintenance of records with respect thereto.
(d) Establish requirements for the administration of medicinal drugs to residents under emergency conditions from emergency medication kits.

(3) Facility staff may withhold or withdraw cardiopulmonary resuscitation if presented with an order not to resuscitate executed pursuant to s. 401.45. The agency shall adopt rules providing for the implementation of such orders. Facility staff and facilities shall not be subject to criminal prosecution or civil liability, nor be considered to have engaged in negligent or unprofessional conduct, for withholding or withdrawing cardiopulmonary resuscitation pursuant to such an order and rules adopted by the agency. The absence of an order not to resuscitate executed pursuant to s. 401.45 does not preclude a physician from withholding or withdrawing cardiopulmonary resuscitation as otherwise permitted by law.
History.—ss. 40, 83, ch. 83-181; s. 30, ch. 93-177; ss. 32, 49, ch. 93-217; s. 3, ch. 99-331; s. 2, ch. 2000-295.
Note.—Former s. 400.3221.

[/SIZE]

Oxycontin....marijuana and heroin are both in schedule 1 which has no accepted medical use in the US

Very good. A couple more:

1. A hospital is registered for the drug addiction treatment plan. There are four physicians practicing in a group in the hospital.
How many patients can be treated in this hospital in the opioid treatment plan?
I. .30 patients in a group practice
II. 30 patients in a solo practice
.III. .120 patients

I only
III only
I and II
II and III
I, II, and III

2. Pharmacist · X opened a pharmacy on July 2005. He received his permit and DEA registration after 6 months. When should Pharmacist X apply to renew the pharmacy DEA registration?

May 2008
July 2008
Nov 2008
Jan 2009
Feb 2009

Last edited:
#1 is all of them; with 120 being the maximum that they can have in the practice
#2 is Nov 2008: pharmacy DEA permit expired 3 years after first registration and you can start renewing it within 60 days of it expiring so this permit would expire in Jan 2009 which means u can start renewing it starting NOV 2008

Hope this helps

Very good. A couple more:

1. A hospital is registered for the drug addiction treatment plan. There are four physicians practicing in a group in the hospital.
How many patients can be treated in this hospital in the opioid treatment plan?
I. .30 patients in a group practice
II. 30 patients in a solo practice
.III. .120 patients

I only
III only
I and II
II and III
I, II, and III

2. Pharmacist · X opened a pharmacy on July 2005. He received his permit and DEA registration after 6 months. When should Pharmacist X apply to renew the pharmacy DEA registration?

May 2008
July 2008
Nov 2008
Jan 2009
Feb 2009

#1 is all of them; with 120 being the maximum that they can have in the practice
#2 is Nov 2008: pharmacy DEA permit expired 3 years after first registration and you can start renewing it within 60 days of it expiring so this permit would expire in Jan 2009 which means u can start renewing it starting NOV 2008

Hope this helps

Correct on both accounts. Bravo! :)

Well today is the day. Just going to go over my notes one more time, skim over the test at the end of Reiss/Hall, and take this beast down!

I'll come back after it's over and let you guys know if it was easier/harder than imagined, and hopefully give you guys some pointers.

Good luck to all of us!

good luck

Well today is the day. Just going to go over my notes one more time, skim over the test at the end of Reiss/Hall, and take this beast down!

I'll come back after it's over and let you guys know if it was easier/harder than imagined, and hopefully give you guys some pointers.

Good luck to all of us!

Can anyone explain to me how the Florida Prescription Control Drug Monitoring works? Too much detail in the rxlaw notes...
Kazekage, I don't think the Florida Prescription Control Drug Monitoring program is in existence yet, although according to the Florida statutes that I printed out, it was supposed to take effect Dec. 1, 2010. Therefore, it shouldn't be on the FL MPJE, hopefully!

I'm just trying to go over FL-specific laws today. Good luck tomorrow!

For those who have taken the Florida MPJE (or any other state MPJE) recently, are there a lot of Federal Law Questions?

Well that was something.

I'd say probably about 30 questions from the exam were totally out of left field. But for the most part I felt pretty confident in my answers. It's funny how something so easy as brand/generic substitution can become the most complicated thing in the world with 4 poorly worded options to choose from.

I didn't have any questions on the Drug Monitoring Program.

Make sure you guys know adulteration/mislabeling, and of course just general knowledge about the laws. Without actually stating questions, it's really hard to give pointers. A lot of it is just weird situational stuff that you will have to dissect on the spot.

All in all I felt pretty prepared by reading the Federal Pharmacy Law book, the laws on the BOP site, and taking those preMPJE tests.

I hope I passed. I can't imagine having to go through that again. Good luck to the rest of you.

That's exactly what I have experienced in the past with the MPJE. By the time you get out of there, you can barely remember any specific questions. Many of the questions are situational and very poorly and ambiguously worded, which is the biggest problem with the test!

No, I don't think there is anything you can do to prepare for the weird stuff. I have heard that questions are submitted by actual practitioners for this exam; that would explain the off-the-wall nature of the questions. Questions on the practice tests are way easier than actual MPJE questions, as they are mostly written with wording straight from the actual laws. I personally feel that a pharmacist with retail experience will fare better on the MPJE, as a lot of the questions deal with a person bringing a prescription into a community pharmacy.

By the way, I had a horrible experience today, as usual, with the MPJE! I didn't think there were too many FL-specific questions, but the material I had did not prepare me for the questions asked regarding FL law. Well, I definitely know what to study for next time....

Please, can anyone licensed, trained or schooled in FL tell me where to find information on what exactly a immunization-certified RPh in FL can do if an allergic reaction occurs? All I can find, after an exhaustive search, is:

"Each protocol shall contain specific procedures for
addressing any unforeseen allergic reaction to influenza
virus immunizations"

This implies that each protocol is different. Please help!