Florida Pharmacists - job opportunities...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RutgersEMSOP10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! The Naval Hospital in Jacksonville, FL is looking for a Contract Pharmacist and will be advertising for a General Schedule (GS) Pharmacist SHORTLY! The contract position is linked below, the GS position will be advertised on USAjobs.gov to ALL citizens.

The contract position is mostly outpatient (community) pharmacy based with plenty of opportunity to train as an inpatient (hospital) pharmacist. Motivated individuals may also have the opportunity to become credentialed in our pharmacist run ambulatory clinics (even without residency) - Anticoagulation, Diabetes, Lipid, Polypharmacy, and more. The facility processes over 750,000 prescriptions annually and has significant pharmacy automation and LOTS OF TECHNICIAN HELP (approximately 3-4:1 tech to RPh ratio). No insurance or money handled! No milk, no tampons, no eggs through the drive thru window. No metrics set by corporate - just take care of patients!

https://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH02/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=PPDG&cws=1&rid=563

The inpatient position is a government job! With benefits, paid vacations, and pension. This position is for a 1030-1900 M-F mid-shift with approximately every 4th weekend coverage (sometimes less frequently, very rarely every 3 weeks). We have a 60 bed hospital with an average daily census considerably less than that and a pretty active 6-OR suite. Look for a posting on USAjobs.gov within the next few weeks.

Both of these positions are at an active Military Treatment Facility and you will be working under a military chain of command. It may go without saying that a love/respect of the military is not a necessity but certainly a plus.

I am not a headhunter or a recruiter. It just seems that these awesome positions frequently go with very little advertisement and we get so few responses and I know there are great pharmacists out there looking to get into hospital or just get away from the big chains. These are great opportunities and we want to put together an awesome team. Just trying to widen dissemination! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like they are just collecting your emails and personal information.

If you are interested in this "position", dont apply thru them but instead apply directly to the hospital. Good luck.

The hospital does not accept direct applications but the contracting office definitely talks to potential future employees. The hospital's Quarterdeck (Information Desk) phone number is 904-542-7300 (press 3 for a person) and they can point you to the right place to speak with contracting. I would post that number here but probably not the best idea...I will respond to PMs though with the phone number if people are interested.

Believe it or not collecting an email address IS how PPDG hires. I could comment on their hiring procedures more but I probably shouldn't...

Members don't see this ad :)
The hospital does not accept direct applications but the contracting office definitely talks to potential future employees. The hospital's Quarterdeck (Information Desk) phone number is 904-542-7300 (press 3 for a person) and they can point you to the right place to speak with contracting. I would post that number here but probably not the best idea...I will respond to PMs though with the phone number if people are interested.

Believe it or not collecting an email address IS how PPDG hires. I could comment on their hiring procedures more but I probably shouldn't...

I am trying to PM but I am thrown off by the new forum. o_OIs Conversation the equivalent of PM? Afraid I will broadcast to some unknown location? :oops:Hoping to get your feedback on my experience with applying.

Federal, so FL license not required, right?

I am trying to PM but I am thrown off by the new forum. o_OIs Conversation the equivalent of PM? Afraid I will broadcast to some unknown location? :oops:Hoping to get your feedback on my experience with applying.

Looks like "Conversation" is the new PM.

Federal, so FL license not required, right?

For the upcoming GS position, any state license. For the contract position, the listing says any state but *I think* PPDG still encourages a FL license. As far as I know all of our current contractors have FL licenses, but that may be because they all started in FL elsewhere and just had them. I can try to get more info at work today.

RutgersEMSOP10- Can you elaborate on your last post regarding a preference for a FL license, even though any state license will work. I have always wondered about this question, would a FL license get my application to the top of the pile? Do you think that this is the case for all military or govt RPh positions?

RutgersEMSOP10- Can you elaborate on your last post regarding a preference for a FL license, even though any state license will work. I have always wondered about this question, would a FL license get my application to the top of the pile? Do you think that this is the case for all military or govt RPh positions?

Sorry for the late reply.

No. A FL license does not even work into the equation if the position is advertised as an 'any state license accepted' position. I checked with our current staff and we do have some contract RPhs without FL license.

You guys probably don't have any idea how great this opportunity is.. Go for GS!! I've seen too many GS's around myself...the best job available in the United States for sure.. (except Google or Apple..probably)

Why is the open period for only 3 days?