Florida PsyD!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laradust

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here so let me start with a little introduction. I have a BA in Psychology and a masters in psychoanalysis, both from Mexico. I just moved to the US and I'm looking into a few PsyD programs, I just discovered Nova Southeastern and really liked the program (I wouldn't mind living in Florida :)) Anyway, I just wanted some opinions on current students, faculty. Obviously I'm into psychoanalysis and I am not into brief therapies. I don't really enjoy research, that's why I'm choosing a Psyd instead of a PHD. I'm looking into Nova but I am open to other schools, Florida Institute of Technology? Carlos Albizu University? Basically what I want to know is how research focused they are? What kind of therapies do they teach? How's the faculty? Anything you think is helpful in making a decision I would appreciate! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. IMO, if you don't like research you should reconsider pursuing a doctorate.
2. Even PsyD programs will have research requirements.
3. I think that practicum opportunities are more important re: training than therapy courses.

1. IMO, if you don't like research you should reconsider pursuing a doctorate.
2. Even PsyD programs will have research requirements.
3. I think that practicum opportunities are more important re: training than therapy courses.

I second this. I'd look at MSW programs. A lot cheaper; less competitive; not as lengthy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second this. I'd look at MSW programs. A lot cheaper; less competitive; not as lengthy.

+ 1. Not a good fit based on your lack of interest in research. As an international student, how would you even afford the outrageous tuition? I believe you cannot take out loans without at least being a permanent resident?

Thanks for all your advice! I know there's research involved in everything and don't mind a little bit. I want to be able to practice but I can't do that without a license and if I understand correctly, I can't get a license without a doctorate?
I do love to study anyway and I have a scholarship from Mexico that will take care of every payment so money is not an issue

Thanks for all your advice! I know there's research involved in everything and don't mind a little bit. I want to be able to practice but I can't do that without a license and if I understand correctly, I can't get a license without a doctorate?
I do love to study anyway and I have a scholarship from Mexico that will take care of every payment so money is not an issue

You can get licensed on the MA level with an MSW and MA degree. Post questions on the master's level forum for more specifics.

Really the government in Mexico provides full tuition funding for a 5 year PsyD Program in US? What is the incentive?

I'm not buying the notion that a country where 44% of the population lives below the poverty line is going to happily pick up a 150,000 tuition tab for a student to get a doctorate and practice in another country. :rolleyes:

It´s nice to see all of your support! And thank you for your worries in the money issues, and I don´t want to be rude but if you are not from Mexico or have never lived there, you don´t know what you´re talking about. Anyway, my question is school related, not money related. I just wanted to know more about the school, the type of students, the classes, etc...

It´s nice to see all of your support! And thank you for your worries in the money issues, and I don´t want to be rude but if you are not from Mexico or have never lived there, you don´t know what you´re talking about. Anyway, my question is school related, not money related. I just wanted to know more about the school, the type of students, the classes, etc...

You are not into evidence-based therapies (which are time limited) and you dont like research. No one is going to advise that you get a doctorate degree in clinical psychology. None of these schools/programs would fit your interests.

Get licensed with your masters degree in your home country and have fun getting people to pay you for years of psychoanalysis...

OP, there have been some threads about that program in recent months. If you do a search I think you will find a good deal of information about it.

I will avoid giving unsolicited advice about your career path, but do share some concerns that have been mentioned.

Side note...I have a colleague that got extensive training in psychology in a South American country. I know for them it seemed redundant to get their PhD here, although ultimately it was necessary since the education systems are structured so differently.

You are not into evidence-based therapies (which are time limited) and you dont like research. No one is going to advise that you get a doctorate degree in clinical psychology. None of these schools/programs would fit your interests.

Get licensed with your masters degree in your home country and have fun getting people to pay you for years of psychoanalysis...

Can I start by proclaiming my undying love for this post?

I just wanted to add that while your cynical nature about a country funding a Psy.D. is lovely, perhaps providing that funding is one of the reasons why so many people fall below the poverty line.

I know there's research involved in everything and don't mind a little bit. I want to be able to practice but I can't do that without a license and if I understand correctly, I can't get a license without a doctorate?

Doctoral training is not for you then. Research training is one of the major cornerstones of doctoral education...whether you get a Ph.D., Psy.D., or Ed.D. If you do not want to consume, analysis, and produce research on a regular basis than the training will be a grind. Much of doctoral training is learning about how to critically evaluate information, not just be a technician doing Intervention A, B, or C. Research allows students to learn how to do this scientifically, and then apply what they learn in practice. The vast majority of students who complete doctoral training do some form of clinical practice, though there are large differences in those who practice based on EBTs...and those who do not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I'm new here so let me start with a little introduction. I have a BA in Psychology and a masters in psychoanalysis, both from Mexico. I just moved to the US and I'm looking into a few PsyD programs, I just discovered Nova Southeastern and really liked the program (I wouldn't mind living in Florida :)) Anyway, I just wanted some opinions on current students, faculty. Obviously I'm into psychoanalysis and I am not into brief therapies. I don't really enjoy research, that's why I'm choosing a Psyd instead of a PHD. I'm looking into Nova but I am open to other schools, Florida Institute of Technology? Carlos Albizu University? Basically what I want to know is how research focused they are? What kind of therapies do they teach? How's the faculty? Anything you think is helpful in making a decision I would appreciate! Thanks!

Since you are interested in and have some training in psychoanalysis, I would suggest that you find a group of local psychoanalysts and network with them and discuss your best course of action. Psychoanalysis tends to only be popular in some parts of the country, such as the northeast. (I don't know about Florida). In this country, I don't know that there is such a thing as a masters in psychoanalysis. What is done is that there are psychoanalytic institutes that accept already licensed psychologists, psychiatrists and social workers for intensive (and lengthy) analytic training. As mentioned above, you absolutely do not need a doctorate to be a licensed mental health professional. In fact, especially if you want to pursue later analytic training, I would really suggest you look into an MSW to save you a number of years and hassle.

If you could talk to local analysts, they might be able to direct you to good options for continuing your training.

Best,
Dr. E

Not for nothing but there are time-limited psychoanalytically oriented models of therapy. (Some would say even Freud practiced a form of brief therapy). I'd be surprised if the schools on your list, if they favor psychoanalytic orientations, didn't introduce students to such developments. Might be worth looking into, folding into interviews...

Someone above professed their undying love for this post... let me confess the opposite... "Get licensed with your masters degree in your home country and have fun getting people to pay you for years of psychoanalysis" is at best smug and unhelpful and at worst smacks of xenophobia... if you can't be decent why do you feel the need to post anything at all? You may not like or agree with what the OP stated... Can't you articulate that in a way that isn't plainly nasty? With your training I'm sure you don't have to be so disrespectful in your communications, that would imply your choosing to be, and frankly, I don't understand the need.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I will reinforce the importance of research in doctoral work. I think, depending on the program, research can be flexible in its scope and approach (e.g. qualitative, quantitative), which can appeal to a range of student interests. Please consider that the research component is a very important marker that separates doctoral and masters level work. When this topic is considered, I would then suggest to reviewing more dynamically oriented programs. Most Psy.D. and Ph.D. programs in clinical psychology offer a general approach to therapeutic paradigms, with theoretical focuses coming over time in the program and through practicum/internship experiences. It is great to hear that you already have an interest and background in analysis, but this should not overshadow other opportunities for theoretical exploration and research.

Someone above professed their undying love for this post... let me confess the opposite... "Get licensed with your masters degree in your home country and have fun getting people to pay you for years of psychoanalysis" is at best smug and unhelpful and at worst smacks of xenophobia... if you can't be decent why do you feel the need to post anything at all? You may not like or agree with what the OP stated... Can't you articulate that in a way that isn't plainly nasty? With your training I'm sure you don't have to be so disrespectful in your communications, that would imply your choosing to be, and frankly, I don't understand the need.

Yes. I was making fun of psychoanalysis. Yes, I think it is exploitative of the consumer. Get over it. It was also helpful (will save the OP lost of money, agony, and disappointment).

Yes. I was making fun of psychoanalysis. Yes, I think it is exploitative of the consumer. Get over it. It was also helpful (will save the OP lost of money, agony, and disappointment).

It wasn't constructive. You can articulate your disapproval of psychoanalysis without attacking the OP and requesting they return to Mexico. I don't think I'm the one that needs to get over something (and dismissively telling me to "get over it" reinforces my issue with some of your posts), the point of SDN isn't to mock and attempt to humiliate others... I'll say it again, you can give constructive criticism without being bitter and nasty, if you can't do that maybe you shouldn't post on a given topic.

It wasn't constructive. You can articulate your disapproval of psychoanalysis without attacking the OP and requesting they return to Mexico. I don't think I'm the one that needs to get over something (and dismissively telling me to "get over it" reinforces my issue with some of your posts), the point of SDN isn't to mock and attempt to humiliate others... I'll say it again, you can give constructive criticism without being bitter and nasty, if you can't do that maybe you shouldn't post on a given topic.

Thanks, Mother...

Seriously though, some subjects will result in strong opinions. I have little constructive advice on the subject other than to encourage the OP to do their non-research, non EBT, psychoanalysis thang somewhere else. Back where they came from seemed like the most convenient location. Read into if you wish, I don't care. But please spare me the etiquette lectures. K? I would say the same thing to any of my supervisees who came to me with the same silly attitude.

Thanks, Mother...

Seriously though, some subjects will result in strong opinions. I have little constructive advice on the subject other than to encourage the OP to do their non-research, non EBT, psychoanalysis thang somewhere else. Back where they came from seemed like the most convenient location. Read into if you wish, I don't care. But please spare me the etiquette lectures. K? I would say the same thing to any of my supervisees who came to me with the same silly attitude.

For what it's worth, I was supportive of the mocking of psychoanalysis. When I read the post that was all that I saw in it. I suppose that if someone would really be interested in analysis they could draw inferences about those who immediately pick up on the hints of possible "xenophobic" interpretations.

This topic reminded me of when a psychology professor at one of my previous institutions brought me their newly published article on handling countertransference in student (providing psychoanalysis) who are ending services with patient because practicum is ending. My response was something along the lines of, "it's well written, but what it doesn't talk about is that what those students were doing is completely a violation of the ethical principles of service provision. Whether they wanted the training or not, using a dated and time intensive model in a time limited situation was a vile thing to do and for the patients to get any benefit. There are some limited session psychodynamic models that have shown promise, perhaps you should focus on those and how to time service provision with end of service dates rather than looking at something completely irrelevant to current practice standards."

Needless to say, he wasn't amused.

Of note, there have been a few metaanalyses in recent year suggesting use of psychoanalysis is effective for Axis II disorders. I have always had a personal bias against psychoanalysis as well, but the literature at least is trying to study things more objectively.

Thanks, Mother...

You're welcome, son...

Can I start by proclaiming my undying love for this post?

I just wanted to add that while your cynical nature about a country funding a Psy.D. is lovely, perhaps providing that funding is one of the reasons why so many people fall below the poverty line.

My boyfriend lives in Juarez, Mexico . And although we are the same age (32), I am putting him through Preparatoria, the Mexican version of our high school, because in Mexico only the well-to-do and rich can go to preparatoria/high school (It is a whopping $70/month). Thus, I highly doubt that the Mexican government will pay for a US doctoral program

For what it's worth, I was supportive of the mocking of psychoanalysis. When I read the post that was all that I saw in it. I suppose that if someone would really be interested in analysis they could draw inferences about those who immediately pick up on the hints of possible "xenophobic" interpretations.

Personally I am no fan of psychoanalysis, although as others have pointed out it is beginning to show promise in the treatment of certain disorders like BPD. I said at worst his comment could be construed as xenophobic... I think it would be hard not to see shades of that when someone asking for advice on schools in Florida is directed to return to Mexico. Neither was the major concern to me ... it was the general and continuing condescending behavior... I just don't think we need it here, we have enough issues to discuss.

We have enough issues to discuss.

I think that this pretty much sums things up.

But for future reference, "I hate the word 'homophobia'. It's not a phobia. You're not scared. You're just an ***hole," seems like a relevant thing to add if people are going to insist on using the Xphobia terms.

But for future reference, "I hate the word 'homophobia'. It's not a phobia. You're not scared. You're just an ***hole," seems like a relevant thing to add if people are going to insist on using the Xphobia terms.

Hahaha :laugh: well, I was trying to be polite, but yes, I suppose that is more than likely the real case. I'm with you though, let's move on to the issue, like the OP's questions lol

You think? I have this feeling (based on not much really) that some anti-gay types really actually have some sort of fear that homosexuality is contagious.

Thank you all for your posts, even the aggressive ones, it gives me an idea of the kind of psychologists that practice in the US. I know it's not all of you, but it is sad when someone asks a psychologist for help, and their answer is aggressive. I could argue for psychoanalysis for ages because I'm very passionate about it, but I am eager to learn new things as well. All I want to say is that it in my experience that when someone just attacks psychoanalysis without any academic background they are just plain scared of what it means to go through a complete and thorough analysis of their psyche. That said, thanks again.

Well let's be clear - you were approaching folks here as potential colleagues, not as a potential therapy patients. Its not normal or healthy for psychologists to treat everyone like a patient at all times. That said, I do agree that some people are ruder than necessary.

That said, I do just have to jump in to note that the people attacking psychoanalysis DO (at least in some cases, can't vouch for everyone) have the appropriate academic background to do so. I don't think I'm alone in that I'd love to see debates on this board about things like the current status of the literature of various topics. Most of the time when it comes up people aren't able to go much beyond "Leichsenring's paper means it works" because (in many cases) they lack sufficient training to offer anything beyond that. My take is that existing literature is generally very weak or flawed, has only been supported for in pretty limited circumstances, and generally has a long ways to go before it will be viewed as a mainstream and legitimate. Perhaps this isn't the appropriate thread to start the debate, but I couldn't let the comment about "scared of what it means" slide given there are plenty of other very legitimate criticisms of analysis.

Thank you all for your posts, even the aggressive ones, it gives me an idea of the kind of psychologists that practice in the US. I know it's not all of you, but it is sad when someone asks a psychologist for help, and their answer is aggressive. I could argue for psychoanalysis for ages because I'm very passionate about it, but I am eager to learn new things as well. All I want to say is that it in my experience that when someone just attacks psychoanalysis without any academic background they are just plain scared of what it means to go through a complete and thorough analysis of their psyche. That said, thanks again.

I suppose its a good thing I don't see patients in my current academic position then, huh? Moreover, I dont know why I would be obligated to treat you the way I would treat a patient? That's the only explanation I think of for your assertion that a response on a message board speaks to how a practice. Come on...

As I said before, I would argue that doctoral study is not appropriate for you given your interest, or rather, lack of interest in the two elements that form the cornerstone of modern clinical practice (EBT and research). Yes, I would prefer you practice psychoanalsysis somewhere else, so that we can continue to move towards another paradigm of mental health treatment in this country. I guess this makes me "racist" against analysts or something...

Thanks, Mother...

Last edited:
Im wondering if when you are attacking psychoanalysis you are talking about all psychotherapist with psychoanalytic orientations (short term dynamic psychotherapist, TFP, integrative psychodynamic psychotherapist etc), or just the long term classical psychoanalyst?

I'm talking about imploring the fundamental rule and a Victorian couch for many months or years without an empirically based/validated explanatory model and with no attempt at measuring outcome/progress other than how big the therapist bank account grows...

Last edited:

This. Sometimes people on this board ask questions that may not seem well informed or useful to the majority of the board. But (as a newcomer) I've recently seen a number of questions, that were written in a very innocent tone, torn to shreds. I was just accepted to a doctoral program and am worried if more than a very few of my colleagues will be this harsh. You don't need to provide members of this board with the therapy you would provide to your patients, but why not the respect?

I'm talking about imploring the fundamental rule and a Victorian couch for many months or years without an empirically based/validated explanatory model and with no attempt at measuring outcome/progress other than how big the therapist bank account grows...

Soooo....you'd consider analysis of the transference and/or a more modern couch design acceptable. How progressive!

Soooo....you'd consider analysis of the transference and/or a more modern couch design acceptable. How progressive!

I don't believe in the classical analystical definition of "transference." Its a useless construct.

I like Victorian couches.

Hey

I am a current 5th Year student at Nova Southeastern University. We have a current psychodynamic track lead by Quintar. I like him and i like his psychodynamic courses and i love psychodynamic therapy. You would be paired with him so look him up, I think the program is cool. The only con is that its expensive but if money isnt a problem then go for it.

The fact that you speak spanish will do well for you in South florida and will open you up to more practicum opportunities. And when you go for internship select programs that have a psychodynamic focus. I plan on being a psychodyamic therapists and will go on after i graduate to get more training in it. The field is moving more toward evidence-based but psychodymaic therapy has a strong hold that will never fade away. You create your success!:cool::cool::cool:

The field is moving more toward evidence-based but psychodymaic therapy has a strong hold that will never fade away. You create your success!:cool::cool::cool:

The field will move in what ever direction insurance companies want. Psychodynamic psychotherapy is a like a bad penny that always shows up. We as a field are horribly portrayed in the media, which often portrays psychoanalysis. Even on a recent episode of Mad men, there was the character on a couch talking to the therapist. If this portrayal could show what we really do, imagine how it could influence perception of mental health stigma and people who will seek treatment.

The field will move in what ever direction insurance companies want. Psychodynamic psychotherapy is a like a bad penny that always shows up. We as a field are horribly portrayed in the media, which often portrays psychoanalysis. Even on a recent episode of Mad men, there was the character on a couch talking to the therapist. If this portrayal could show what we really do, imagine how it could influence perception of mental health stigma and people who will seek treatment.

Could you remind me again what the time frame Mad Men is set in?

Could you remind me again what the time frame Mad Men is set in?

This week it was January 30th-31st, 1968.

Betty was being analyzed in season one, 1960-1961 and this season Roger was seeing an analyst, 1967-1968.

Last edited:
Hey

The field is moving more toward evidence-based but psychodymaic therapy has a strong hold that will never fade away. You create your success!:cool::cool::cool:

That is an unfortunate attitude. Both for the field and for your patients.

"Hey, this is really fun and cool and hip...and even though the field is moving toward intervention with evidence that they work (and work faster), I am just gonna keep doing this... cause it fun, cool, and hip."

Programs that reinforce this attitude are like a disease...

This week it was January 30th-31st, 1968.

Betty was being analyzed in season one, 1960-1961 and this season Roger was seeing an analyst, 1967-1968.

The question was rhetorical, to get the person who made the comment about not having modern practices in a time where it may or may not be period.

I was going to later quip about them using Cognitive Rehabilitation on TBI patients in Vikings, but you have now ruined that. Thank you Erg.

That is an unfortunate attitude. Both for the field and for your patients.

"Hey, this is really fun and cool and hip...and even though the field is moving toward intervention with evidence that they work (and work faster), I am just gonna keep doing this... cause it fun, cool, and hip."

Programs that reinforce this attitude are like a disease...

But I can forgive you because this sums up what I had to add in a nicer, but not by much, sort of way.

Yes it was in the 60s and they are being accurate to the times. They also smoke cigs in the office back then, but does that still happen today? All fields progress with time, and I continue to hope that our methods continue to get better so the patients benefit the most, which is why objective and tested methods are needed. I made the Mad men result as to voice my frustration regarding what is seen by society and one example of how our services are portrayed. Just think of all the different times you see a psychologist sleeping with a patient. Our field should not be the source of entertainment.

Our field should not be the source of entertainment.

It happens with doctors and nurses too. Even dentists.

I agree though, they don't accurately show what therapy or (god forbid) assessment is like. I don't know if anyone would really even want to see that or have it seen to any large degree. Though it may reduce the number of calls that psychologists and counselors get asking if we can fill their meds or if we're going to prescribe something.

Sorry if my botched attempt at a humorous critique of the example given came off as offensive. I rarely ever mean it that way, and this was not one of those cases.