Florida Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1.

Parts of inner city Miami, maybe. I mean, years ago the state government had to do away with rental car license plates because of all the tourists getting carjacked down there. Miami was also the only med school interview I went on where I felt afraid for my safety. But Tampa's pretty tame in comparison to Miami or Detroit....

Members don't see this ad.

Tampa isn't bad. I still miss my west coast, but this place has its merits. It's really growing on me.

Hope everyone got through the hurricane ok. I lost power for 10 hours, but otherwise no major mishaps. We really got lucky overall; the eye never made landfall, and the storm weakened quite a bit before it reached us. Lots to be grateful for as I sit here enjoying my AC and looking at pics of Haiti and Cuba....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hope everyone got through the hurricane ok. I lost power for 10 hours, but otherwise no major mishaps. We really got lucky overall; the eye never made landfall, and the storm weakened quite a bit before it reached us. Lots to be grateful for as I sit here enjoying my AC and looking at pics of Haiti and Cuba....

My dad shuttered up his house, drove three hours away, and spent $1500 on hotels for his family, and all they got was some rain.

Two of our ships and a Marine MEU are deploying to Haiti to assist in relief efforts.

@QofQuimica I would love to shawdow you and learn more about the field. Does your offer still stand and where in Florida are you? I'm in S.FLA.
Sorry, DSF, but I'll be leaving the Sunshine State in a few months to start fellowship OOS this summer. Those posts are all pretty old.

My dad shuttered up his house, drove three hours away, and spent $1500 on hotels for his family, and all they got was some rain.
Good. I'm one of the last people to ever want to waste money, because I fully subscribe to the idea that you earn it in exchange for giving up some of your "life energy" (as postulated in the classic book "Your Money or Your Life"). But if I'm going to err, I'd rather err on the side of being alive and "wasting" some money, than not being alive because I refused to evacuate from an evac zone.

Reactions: 1 user

We're okay here on the west coast. We sheltered family members who had to evacuate. I'm with you, though. I've definitely got some serious Thanksgiving fodder right now. Glad you're okay, Q.

Sorry, DSF, but I'll be leaving the Sunshine State in a few months to start fellowship OOS this summer. Those posts are all pretty old.

Good. I'm one of the last people to ever want to waste money, because I fully subscribe to the idea that you earn it in exchange for giving up some of your "life energy" (as postulated in the classic book "Your Money or Your Life"). But if I'm going to err, I'd rather err on the side of being alive and "wasting" some money, than not being alive because I refused to evacuate from an evac zone.

Exactly. He wasn't upset. Better safe and alive.

I hope you all stayed safe from Hurricane Matthew. Sorry to bring up a two year old topic but I saw that Q mentioned Florida state schools give preference to residents. Does that mean that if I live there a year and get residency I'm considered a resident and thus given preference or do they prefer if I've lived there for many years? I ask because I have tons of family in FL and I was planning to move there after I'm done with my bachelor's in Puerto Rico and get residency status. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I hope you all stayed safe from Hurricane Matthew. Sorry to bring up a two year old topical but I saw that Q mentioned Florida state schools give preference to residents. Does that mean that if I live there a year and get residency I'm considered a resident and thus given preference or do they prefer if I've lived there for many years? I ask because I have tons of family in FL and I was planning to move there after I'm done with my bachelor's in Puerto Rico and get residency status. Thoughts?
You'll need to check with the individual med schools regarding how they determine state residency status. Are you planning to take a gap year and work here for a year or two before applying? If so, you can probably establish state residency for med school. I seem to recall that they also looked at things like where I went to high school and where my parents were residents.

You'll need to check with the individual med schools regarding how they determine state residency status. Are you planning to take a gap year and work here for a year or two before applying? If so, you can probably establish state residency for med school. I seem to recall that they also looked at things like where I went to high school and where my parents were residents.

Thank you. Yes, I'm taking a gap year. I'm hoping I can find a research position somewhere. I very much want research experience before I apply. I've checked the university websites but they list the things you need to have to get "residency for tuition purposes" which I can get in about a year of living there. However, since they give preference to Floridians I'm guessing simply living there a year, even if I'm legally a resident, isn't enough. The fact that they asked you about high school and parents residence seems to confirm it. This is sad :( I really wanted to study in Florida. Guess I always have Puerto Rico to fall back on.