Flu shot goals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maria1oh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what is your flu shot goal for 2016-17 season? Stores in my district vary between 200-1200. No correlation to volume but based off last year numbers. No one got a decreased goal only increased or stayed the same.

Members don't see this ad.

Paging Unchained.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
According to what my manager told me, weekly rx script count = flu shot goal for the season. The store I work at does ~2200/week so therefore 2200 flu shots needed for the season. As much as I enjoy helping hit metrics, there's a snowball's chance in hell of hitting 2200 unless if we jab every single person who picks up scripts.

Your flu shot goal is indirectly related to the intelligence of Americans that given year.

I am sad to report that I couldn't talk one poor soul out of getting a flu shot yesterday. Thankfully I only gave one shot all day.

According to what my manager told me, weekly rx script count = flu shot goal for the season. The store I work at does ~2200/week so therefore 2200 flu shots needed for the season. As much as I enjoy helping hit metrics, there's a snowball's chance in hell of hitting 2200 unless if we jab every single person who picks up scripts.

Even if you jabbed every single person who picks up a prescription, many people are picked up multiple prescriptions......so it makes zero sense to have a goal based on the number of prescriptions sold. The logical thing would be to base it on average number of patients served by the pharmacist in a week.....and maybe increase that is a bit since there will a certain amount of healthy walk-ins for the flu sh ot.

I am sad to report that I couldn't talk one poor soul out of getting a flu shot yesterday. Thankfully I only gave one shot all day.

What a sad day for you. Take heart in knowing that statistically, like 99% of people who get flu shots, your poor patient will suffer no lasting adverse effects.

Reactions: 1 users
Reading this thread makes me glad I left full time retail

At Walmart the goal is the same absolute number regardless of your script volume. The only differentiating factor is the square footage of the store (small vs large format) to the tune of a 25 shot difference. This is either being done for benchmarking purposes or as a result of incompetence. There is data available on historical performance from which a meaningful forecast can be generated, but apparently this is an inconvenience truth. I personally find this ironic for a company that encourages the use of S.M.A.R.T. goals in action plans...

What a sad day for you. Take heart in knowing that statistically, like 99% of people who get flu shots, your poor patient will suffer no lasting adverse effects.

That is true, though I do wonder about the "Serial flu shot problem" Google it if not familiar with it. Where basically the more flu shots you get the less effective it becomes. "Hoskins effect". If you get the shots all the time, you are more susceptible to a flu pandemic when one comes.

I have no idea what my goal is. I just know whatever I do wont be good enough so don't care.

That is true, though I do wonder about the "Serial flu shot problem" Google it if not familiar with it. Where basically the more flu shots you get the less effective it becomes. "Hoskins effect". If you get the shots all the time, you are more susceptible to a flu pandemic when one comes.
Your conclusion is incorrect.

I'm honestly kinda curious how you even arrived at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
u have to look at the big picture. with 1,200 shots in 1 week, the most they give u is 3 points. are u really gonna stress over 3 points?

Did unchained forget her log-on and have to get a new account?

Your conclusion is incorrect.

I'm honestly kinda curious how you even arrived at it.

How did I arrive at this? There are dozens of studies on it. Did you google "Serial flu shot Problem" like I suggested?
I can't put links here, against the rule I guess.
Doctors are not told about this, because they don't learn anything negative about vaccines in school.

How did I arrive at this? There are dozens of studies on it. Did you google "Serial flu shot Problem" like I suggested?
I can't put links here, against the rule I guess.
Doctors are not told about this, because they don't learn anything negative about vaccines in school.
No, I didn't Google it, since I learned about it in an actual class in an actual school.

You are incorrect because you've misinterpreted it.

You're saying
Shot 1.) 100% effect
Shot 2.) 80%
Shot 3.) 60% and so on, approaching 0%

That is not what the evidence shows.

Not sure why your links aren't posting.
The forum may have a filter for DavidWolfe.com

Last edited:
No, I didn't Google it, since I learned about it in an actual class in an actual school.

You are incorrect because you've misinterpreted it.

You're saying
Shot 1.) 100% effect
Shot 2.) 80%
Shot 3.) 60% and so on, approaching 0%

That is not what the evidence shows.

Not sure why your links aren't posting.

Not sure what you are referring to shot 1 and 3, and I have not misrepresented anything. The Serial Flu shot problem, since you refuse to google it. Is where if you get a flu shot more than one year in a row, in becomes less effective. The CDC says over the last 12 years the flu shot has been on average 41% effective.
If you get a flu shot several years in a row, studies have showed effectiveness drop to 28% to below 0 and can even make you more likely to get the flu. It all depends on what strains are out that year. in 2011 they saw no effect, but all other years since 2009, repeat or serial flu shots lowered protection, each year was by a different amount. Even by individuals it can vary as it depends if that person has had the flu before and built some natural immunity and other factors. They are still studying it. Anybody interested, try this.
-If you type in Google "Michigan study serial flu shot problem" some studies come up.

"Below zero"

Literally LMAO.

Does it spontaneously generate "live" viruses?
Does it magnetically attract wild virus to the injection site?

That would be some Nobel prize work.

You are either incredibly ignorant of what results mean or intentionally misrepresenting the data.

If flu shots make the flu worse, why do unvaccinated populations like India have incredibly high mortality and morbidity rates from the flu?

Last edited:
"Below zero"

Literally LMAO.

Does it spontaneously generate "live" viruses?
Does it magnetically attract wild virus to the injection site?

That would be some Nobel prize work.

You are either incredibly ignorant of what results mean or intentionally misrepresenting the data.

If flu shots make the flu worse, why do unvaccinated populations like India have incredibly high mortality and morbidity rates from the flu?
-India? Most of the population has no access to health care and pourly nourished. Lets try Europe. Most of Europe does not mandate the flu shot for everyone like the US and Canada. They only recommend the shot for elderly and HCW's. They have less than a 23% uptake of the flu shot, they are not all dying of the flu. Per Wikipidia The US with the highest uptake of the flu shot in the World, is ranked 31st in life expectancy, lower than any modern country, many reasons for that obviously, but the flu shot ain't helping.
As far as flu shot minus effectiveness, sorry its true. It happened in 2009/10 season and in the 2014/15 seasons. There is a slew of newspaper articles about it here in Canada, I am sure you could find them. I wish I could send links it would be so easy to prove. I believe they called it "negative interference" from the flu shot. This only happened to people who had the flu shot the previous years.

Some threads make me regret going online that day.

My satisfaction with this thread is below 0%
You must be suffering from negative inference for serial flu shot threads. It's real, I saw it on a website so shady you can't link to it from sdn.

At least the solution is easy. Just make sure not to get your annual flu shot thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Just say that you offer flu shots every time that you answer the phone. Middle management will be pleased to hear it when they call and think that you are really pushing their numbers.

Some people are pre-processing flu shots for people to get prices and crap like that before even talking to the patient. They're just wasting time and pushing their targets higher for the next year. Pointless.

Just say that you offer flu shots every time that you answer the phone. Middle management will be pleased to hear it when they call and think that you are really pushing their numbers.
Some people are pre-processing flu shots for people to get prices and crap like that before even talking to the patient. They're just wasting time and pushing their targets higher for the next year. Pointless.
I had a new grad PIC at Target once.
Nice guy but spineless in the face of management.

Instead of keeping the goal more or less the same he blew it out of the water, and was shocked the next year when the goal was even higher than his record year

I had a new grad PIC at Target once.
Nice guy but spineless in the face of management.

Instead of keeping the goal more or less the same he blew it out of the water, and was shocked the next year when the goal was even higher than his record year

I have a friend in retail who went through something like this. He decided to be the number one flu shot giver in the state and every year would just go higher and higher. Eventually it was used against him when his partner's failed leadership brought down the morale of the pharmacy. Hard lesson to learn: you gotta defend yourself in the face of everyone and anyone. For awhile I had a target on my back by hospital leadership but that ended once the bull****ters in my department gave up.

So THAT is what is causing the higher than normal teenage pregnancy rate in my area. Here I was thinking it was because of board teenagers in BFE.....I'm glad to have learned the real reason why.

not sure why ppl keep saying they cannot post links, here's one for last year's flu season. the vaccine was a complete failure. 48% effective. this is worst than flipping a coin! and if u had made 48% on your exams, from elementary to college to grad school, name 1 single occasion where they would let u pass. yet each flu season comes with mass marketing and each year is a failure.

CDC: 2016-2017 Flu Vaccine Nearly 50 Percent Effective

not sure why ppl keep saying they cannot post links, here's one for last year's flu season. the vaccine was a complete failure. 48% effective. this is worst than flipping a coin! and if u had made 48% on your exams, from elementary to college to grad school, name 1 single occasion where they would let u pass. yet each flu season comes with mass marketing and each year is a failure.

CDC: 2016-2017 Flu Vaccine Nearly 50 Percent Effective

Dang I already got my flu shot I should have just flipped the coin instead!
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Wow, and here I was this whole time thinking that 45% effective is higher than 0% effective.

I feel like such a *****!

Reactions: 2 users
Perhaps 52% of the flu shots administered were expired???

i won't go as far as to say the vaccines expired. however i do notice temperature logs for the fridge were not recorded properly. theres a lot of empty spaces and ppl traveling back in time to refill the temp logs. and in some instances the temperature recorded were outside the recommended range. and so while the vaccines were definitely not expired, its hard to definitively say they were kept within the recommended temperature where the vaccines would be effective.

I had a look at the numbers in the CDC MMWR Table 2: Interim Estimates of 2016–17 Seasonal Influenza Vaccine ...

Honestly they weren't very impressive. For example:
- Out of the 744 people who were positive for Influenza A or B, 333 or 45% of them were vaccinated yet they got the flu anyway.
- For those 65 or older, 128 were influenza positive, and 78% of them were vaccinated yet they got the flu anyway.
- The CI for unadjusted vaccine effectiveness for the 9-17, 18-49 and >65 age groups includes 0, which means the vaccine was not statistically effective at reducing the flu.

23231466_10215370308637926_3882183648006475178_n.jpg

I had a look at the numbers in the CDC MMWR Table 2: Interim Estimates of 2016–17 Seasonal Influenza Vaccine ...

Honestly they weren't very impressive. For example:
- Out of the 744 people who were positive for Influenza A or B, 333 or 45% of them were vaccinated yet they got the flu anyway.
- For those 65 or older, 128 were influenza positive, and 78% of them were vaccinated yet they got the flu anyway.
- The CI for unadjusted vaccine effectiveness for the 9-17, 18-49 and >65 age groups includes 0, which means the vaccine was not statistically effective at reducing the flu.
Yup. The flu shot is not very effective. People need to educate themselves. This is not some random crunchy person’s blog. This comes from a reputable and respected source. It sucks that hospitals force their employees to get it.

Yup. The flu shot is not very effective. People need to educate themselves. This is not some random crunchy person’s blog. This comes from a reputable and respected source. It sucks that hospitals force their employees to get it.

"While those estimates are not yet available for the current season, the CDC estimated that during 2012-2013, an H3N2-predominant season with overall VE of 49 percent, flu vaccine prevented 5.6 million flu illnesses, 2.7 million flu-related medical visits and about 61,500 flu hospitalizations," said the news report.

This is good enough for me.