FM & IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aero047

Another among the masses
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the differences between FM and IM? I heard that IM is just one more year residency but what sets it apart from FM?

Members don't see this ad.

IM & FM are BOTH (3) years.

FM deals also with KIDS (ouch) and pregnants (ouchhhh)

IM has 10+ fellowships :)

Aero047 said:
What are the differences between FM and IM? I heard that IM is just one more year residency but what sets it apart from FM?

They are both 3 years long. The difference is one of breadth vs. depth of training. An FM doc has broader training, and spends a few months training in several areas of medicine (IM, Peds, OB, Surg, Derm, Psych). An IM doc spends 3 years studying only adult medicine, and ends up with a deeper understanding of this area of medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it also depends on where you practice. In more suburban areas where there is a glut of physicians (peds/OBgyn) an FP is more likely to do strictly adult medicine. Most people would rather see a pediatrician or an OB for those needs if available, though an FP may be equally capable. Where you want to live could dictate the need for a true Family Practice or an adult medicine practice, where an internist would be best suited.

The one notable specialty for FP is sports medicine. Compared to a wide variety for IM. Also, hospitalists can be either FP or IM certified as far as I know.

Anyone got any other major differences?

lar

i have one more major difference....the people! family practice residents and attending are way more approachable, understanding and nicer than their counterparts in IM. they also have a very good holistic approach to things due to their broad training.

dr.smurf said:
i have one more major difference....the people! family practice residents and attending are way more approachable, understanding and nicer than their counterparts in IM. they also have a very good holistic approach to things due to their broad training.

Terms like "holistic" and "more approachable" sound nice. Of course, some FPs are like this. But to suggest that these qualities are unique to FP, or most prevalent among FPs is probably not true.