FM physicians/residents who left Gen Surg?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reverence

reverence
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising 4th year on the fence between Gen Surg and FM. I realize the two are extremely different, no need to remind me of that ;)

Are there any FM residents or physicians who left a Gen Surg residency (or career) to do FM?
I would love to hear why, and if you are happier/more fulfilled with FM.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just a wild guess, but probably the hours/malignant personalities. Also, I have yet to meet an FM doc who wasn't nice.

I know 3 that did this, for pretty much the reasons ewax said. Hours seemed biggest deterrent, especially when it came to those with a family/young child. Intern year wasn't great for them, and they switched.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I transferred from gen surg to FM. Best decision I ever made.

I was turning into an angry person in surgery and had no time for my family or self. The personalities of my co residents and some attendings were extremely rude. Not to mention I was working constantly...

Switching was the right decision for me, but I think I would have regretted it if I didn't at least try surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
I did one week of general surgery in NYC. For me it was the location and how mean everyone was. I cried for 6 days straight and left. Had I been in a different location I likely would have done it.

Reactions: 5 users
I know a fifth year neurosurgery resident that switched to FM. His PD was furious.

Reactions: 5 users
Had one make the switch when I was a PGY2 -- basically said he didn't like who he was becoming; Also had one guy who was graduating when I was coming in as an intern who had finished a General Surgery residency and practiced for a brief period (I think the practice part is correct, not completely sure) and was finishing an FM residency and actually, no joke, went and opened an indigent care clinic to follow his passion -- helping the poor; According to the juniors in the residency, this guy was unflappable -- nothing fazed him --- very ballsy on wards/ICU ---- but that's to be expected -- if you've opened someone up, you tend to have a plethora of confidence -- or at least you hide it well.

Had one make the switch when I was a PGY2 -- basically said he didn't like who he was becoming; Also had one guy who was graduating when I was coming in as an intern who had finished a General Surgery residency and practiced for a brief period (I think the practice part is correct, not completely sure) and was finishing an FM residency and actually, no joke, went and opened an indigent care clinic to follow his passion -- helping the poor; According to the juniors in the residency, this guy was unflappable -- nothing fazed him --- very ballsy on wards/ICU ---- but that's to be expected -- if you've opened someone up, you tend to have a plethora of confidence -- or at least you hide it well.
Dang. I hope his FM program gave him some credit for previous GME, especially with his surgery rotations.

Reactions: 1 user