FM residency in New England

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janderson1323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Family medicine obviously isn't emphasized as much in new england as in some other areas of the country, but for family reasons, I may end up there for residency. Does anybody have any experience/opinion on the following places? :

Maine Medical Center (Portland, ME)
University of Vermont (Burlington, VT)
BU
Tufts
Dartmouth-NH (Concord, NH)

I ultimately want to practice in a rural area, and would love to get some experience with some procedures. Only Dartmouth-NH is unopposed of those listed, so might be the best fit for that, but doesn't seem to be a highly regarded program. I'm also interested in public health, which both BU and Tufts emphasize.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any particular reason you're choosing those particular ones?

There's several unopposed ones in Maine (Eastern Maine Medical Center, Maine Dartmouth), and there's Lawrence FM in Lawrence Ma which is highly regarded (very OB heavy). But it might be harder to get the public health experience in a non-University affiliated one, idk.

Part of it is exactly what you said: the University affiliated programs tend to have a greater emphasis/more opportunities with public health. There are exceptions (MAHEC seems like a good balance being mostly unopposed but with public health/global health opportunities ) Part of it is just location and the cities the programs are in, particularly the Maine ones.

I'll look into Lawrence, thanks for the response!

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked at maine medical center. Not as a doctor but as security. Feel free to pm with any questions. I knew many of the doctors etc there.

Family medicine obviously isn't emphasized as much in new england as in some other areas of the country

I've heard other people say this before (as well as the opposite that FM is MORE emphasized on the west coast). What does that mean in practical terms?

Doesn't Dartmouth have a combined FP/preventive med public health thing? It's the leadership track or something like that.

Doesn't Dartmouth have a combined FP/preventive med public health thing? It's the leadership track or something like that.

Yeah, probably not the Maine Dartmouth program, but there's also a NH Dartmouth FM residency.

I've heard other people say this before (as well as the opposite that FM is MORE emphasized on the west coast). What does that mean in practical terms?

I think if you wanted to do more OB or hospitalist type work you'd probably have to move.

I think the UMass program is actually done at a community hospital away from Worcester so it is pretty much unopposed.

I'm bumping this since I would like to hear more about the Maine Medical program. Anyone have any info besides it being in Portland? Looks they have a number of other residencies in house (IM, Peds, OB) so I'm wondering if this would leave one with more to desire in terms of training.

Reactions: 1 user