fm to ob/gyn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fmdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

My dream as FMG is to apply for ob/gyn residency after I finish my fm residency! I would love to see someone sharing a similar experience and maybe giving me some good tips on how to increase my chances for ob/gyn!
Thanks to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

My dream as FMG is to apply for ob/gyn residency after I finish my fm residency! I would love to see someone sharing a similar experience and maybe giving me some good tips on how to increase my chances for ob/gyn!
Thanks to you all!

Are you allowed to go for another residency? Isnt there a limit or so?

As the previous poster stated it probably is unlikely that you will be able to complete another complete residency b/c residency is subsidized by Medicare. Medicare gives the hospital $100,000/resident/year for education, we get pennies for 80 hour work weeks. The length of time is dependent on what you match in first, Surgery would be 5 years and yours is 3 years. Any time over that would have to be paid by your institution.

Have you thought about the OB Fellowship? It's only 1 year (I think) and you will learn how to manage and deliver babies. Only caveat is that you are not allowed to perform gyn surgery and I am not sure about C-sections. It would be a great addition to your family medicine background.:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, my program is proof that it can be done. We currently have a first year who was an FP attending prior to starting with us, and we just matched another person who will be completing her FP residency this year.

If it is a funding issue, somehow our hospital finds a way to compensate. Others might as well.

I think the biggest hurdle you will face is proving your committment to the field. OB/GYN residency is grueling. If you have already completed a residency, your potential committment to another residency would be in question. As a resident meeting this type of candidate, I wanted to know that this was their passion, and they weren't going to bug out when the fatigue of residency took over. They already have a career to fall back on. Does that make sense?

In the end, it can be done, and I wish you the best of luck. Obviously, I think OBGYN is the best residency :)

I am in the same boat as pgy-2 in a good FP rural track program. I didn't do all that much in the OR as a student and didn't really pick up on procedural skills. That has all changed as I have rotated with the surgeons and obs at my rural site. Now it's not so darn intimidating. I love being in the OR now and am wishing I could be in a more procedural specialty like OB. It's more than just doing c-sections; I'd like to do the GYN stuff too (hysters, laparoscopic stuff, etc). I've given FP a chance, but it can't satisfy my desire to be in the OR--sorry. Am I a traitor? Nah, just discovering what I enjoy later than most. In some ways I wish we had system more like the UK where we weren't committed to a specialty right away; although it takes longer to train, I think you'd be better served in the long run. Anyway, I digress. I will think more on this subject, but think having an FP background would be helpful because I see the private practice ob-gyns asking me questions about htn or other common conditions.

As the previous poster stated it probably is unlikely that you will be able to complete another complete residency b/c residency is subsidized by Medicare. Medicare gives the hospital $100,000/resident/year for education, we get pennies for 80 hour work weeks. The length of time is dependent on what you match in first, Surgery would be 5 years and yours is 3 years. Any time over that would have to be paid by your institution.

Have you thought about the OB Fellowship? It's only 1 year (I think) and you will learn how to manage and deliver babies. Only caveat is that you are not allowed to perform gyn surgery and I am not sure about C-sections. It would be a great addition to your family medicine background.:luck:

This sounds like a dream for me. I have two years training as a midwife, and I want to do family medicine and non-complicated births. Would I have trouble getting admitting rights?