fm to ob/gyn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fmdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

My dream as FMG is to apply for ob/gyn residency after I finish my fm residency! I would love to see someone sharing a similar experience and maybe giving me some good tips on how to increase my chances for ob/gyn!
Thanks to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

fmdoc said:
Hi

My dream as FMG is to apply for ob/gyn residency after I finish my fm residency! I would love to see someone sharing a similar experience and maybe giving me some good tips on how to increase my chances for ob/gyn!
Thanks to you all!

How about doing a one year obstetrics fellowship after your FM residency? That would certainly increase your chances for an ObGyn residency.

honestly, it's going to be even MORE difficult because you will have used up all your resident-funding. so i say go for obgyn now. if that's not an option, "jsut" do an ob fellowship and call it a day, unless you don't mind being in a very undesirable obgyn program in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
ramonaquimby said:
honestly, it's going to be even MORE difficult because you will have used up all your resident-funding. so i say go for obgyn now. if that's not an option, "jsut" do an ob fellowship and call it a day, unless you don't mind being in a very undesirable obgyn program in the future.

i hear alot about the resident funding issues, yet i have met alot of people who have repeated years and did different residencies with no problems. actually the only people i heard of with resident funded issues is on websites. lol.
anyways i know its outt here, but i am just saying if a program wants you and you want in bad enough, i think its possible, its just you have to repeat years in ob/gyn as a resident again, and i dont know how much training you get credit for as ob/?? anyone? but i think a fellowship like one or two years in ob/gyn and high risk will be good too.
good luck to you..

Thank you all for giving me input. I really appreciate it. I am not too familiar with the resident funding issue...could you please elaborate a bit more upon this theme? Thanks a lot.

fmdoc said:
i hear alot about the resident funding issues, yet i have met alot of people who have repeated years and did different residencies with no problems.

i never said it wasn't possible, i'm just saying that you won't get your top pick. you'll have to look for programs that have holes in them - since when is that attractive?! lol...but if you have good luck, you may find an AWESOME program that happens to have a spot. if THEY're desperate enough, then they will fund you out of their personal money, and yes, you can go there.

My life's mission is to dispell the "you'll get no funding" hype.

Please see:

https://services.aamc.org/Publicati...=version19.pdf&prd_id=88&prv_id=110&pdf_id=19

Take some time and read the pdf.

In summary, there are 2 types of funding, Direct and Indirect. These amounts vary based on several factors such as the number of Medicare patients, the average stay of these patients, a "hospital specific amount", the position of the sun, and the temperature in Toledo, Ohio (ok, I made the last 2 up). When you match into a field, you are 'locked' into how many years of full Direct funding the government will give your program. For example, if you match into IM you have 3 years of full Direct funding (they count you 1.0 when they do the math). Once you use up those 3 years, since you are obviously completely useless, you count as half a resident. I'm not kidding, when they do the math you are counted as 0.5.

This maddness is only true for the Direct funding; for the Indirect funding you count as a whole person for as many years as it takes.

The brochure above shows some nice examples of the math. It also mentions that for most hospitals, the Indirect funding "far exceeds" the Direct. It goes on to say, “So as a percentage of the hospital’s total Medicare medical education payment, the financial impact of a resident beyond the initial residency period may be small.”

Hope this helps.

MM9 said:
the Indirect funding you count as a whole person for as many years as it takes.

what you've stated sounds great!!! :D you're right - this news should really be spread around much more so people don't get so stressed out about matching! lol...

all i did want to say is that i was told by a program director that the indirect funding is only high if you go to a program that has a lot of money / a relatively "rich" program (he happened to be a PD at one of these "rich" programs")...these are usually hte more desirable programs. the "poorer" prgarms have less money in this 'indirect' fund, and therefore less desirable, and yes, sure, you can end up there. of course, if a program loses a resident unexpectedly, you will DEFINITELY be able to pick up the spot no matter what cuz they'll be desperate enough.

so i guess the conclusino is you can go for it! :thumbup: ...it's just a shame that you have to do FM if what you really want is OBG. good luck! ;)