FMG chances of matching for 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamaicacarioca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, can you give me your opinions on whether or not I will match for anesthesiology in 2013, even at the lowest rated program, anywhere is fine.I also will apply broadly for IM, family medicine and psychiatry as back ups.

Jamaican national 26 years old
Graduated from a Brazilian medical school
step 1 206/86
step 2 208/87
step 2 clinical skills pass
all exams passed on the first attempt. ECFMG certified.

3 months US clinical experience.
4 US letters of recommendation.
I speak fluent English(1st language), fluent Spanish and Portuguese.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, can you give me your opinions on whether or not I will match for anesthesiology in 2013, even at the lowest rated program, anywhere is fine.I also will apply broadly for IM, family medicine and psychiatry as back ups.

step 1 206/86
step 2 208/87

sorry to say, but <1 percent

Matching first time almost zero
Best idea, match into an IM program in a hospital with a anesthesia program, let you interest known and kill your step 3. If a spot opens, they might thin of you

step 1 206/86
step 2 208/87

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't some programs stress "Ethnic Diversity" when selecting Residents?
I'm not so certain the OP won't match somewhere. I recommend he/she apply broadly and seek those Directors with a liberal bias of "ethnic diversity" as a reason of choosing Candidate A over Candidate B.

step 1 206/86
step 2 208/87

To be honest, I think you would be hard pressed to match into anesthesia as a US MD grad with those scores, let alone as an FMG. I agree with the above poster. Try to match to IM and then skirt your way over to an anesthesia program.

Don't some programs stress "Ethnic Diversity" when selecting Residents?
I'm not so certain the OP won't match somewhere. I recommend he/she apply broadly and seek those Directors with a liberal bias of "ethnic diversity" as a reason of choosing Candidate A over Candidate B.

There are plenty of "ethnically diverse" US graduates with better numbers.