FMG - is CS necessary to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockdubz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i am an FMG (caribbean), US citizen. just found out i failed CS. pretty devastated. planning on taking CK early sept. Do i need to re-take CS in order to apply? i'm applying for family medicine. even if i do, there is no way i can get my score back before apps go out - how bad will this hurt my application? my step1 is below average. should i delay applying til next year? let me know what you think. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

from what i understand, CS is not absolutely necessary. but it does help. however having a failed CS on your record will make for a difficult road ahead. you automatically get filtered out. focus on getting it done first though. forget everything else and put your energy into passing CS & CK. I'm a fm resident now and i failed cs first attempt as well. PM me when you get a chance and we can chat.

You can apply without a CS but being an FMG with a failure will be a huge red flag. You may not get any interviews without a passing CS. You need to get that passed and well as CK.

I agree with the above posts. Not required but it might as well be. We definitely didn't rank FMGs who had not yet passed CS but I cannot remember even interviewing any FMG who hadn't already passed their CS.