FMG - Step 2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpfulstranger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just read a very nice analysis of whether or not to take Step 2 before applying for residency written by eyesteve. (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=978287) The decision really depends on how well you did on Step 1 and how well you are projected to do on Step 2. Since I did fine on Step 1, the advice for me then would be to delay Step 2.

But I am an FMG and in my case I wonder if my Step 2 score holds more weight than it does for the American med student. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

HS

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think that your step 1 vs. step 2 scores are considered differently as compared to those of an American medical graduate. That being said, foreign medical graduates as a whole are held to higher admissions standards than the rest of the applicant pool. If you think that you can do well enough on step 2 to turn it into something in your asset column, then by all means take it sooner rather than later. If you don't have the time to focus and make sure that you really rock it, perhaps wait if you're happy with step 1. I don't know what others think, but my personal feeling was that the curve for step 2 was easier. Everyone knows that step 1 scores can be a rate limiting factor in residency application and generally go a bit crazy studying. Some people do depend on a good step 2 to compensate for an average to poor step 1, but a significant percentage merely see it as an obligation...