FNP or PMHNP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ginaw623

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I decide to get my Master's in NP...I am having difficulty deciding between Family NP and Psych/Mental Health NP. Are there more jobs available for FNPs...it seems like I never find postings seeking Psych NPs? Also, is there a salary difference?

Members don't see this ad.

If I decide to get my Master's in NP...I am having difficulty deciding between Family NP and Psych/Mental Health NP. Are there more jobs available for FNPs...it seems like I never find postings seeking Psych NPs? Also, is there a salary difference?

there is a HUGE need for psych NPs. Psychiatrists in general are always in short supply. They're in such a short supply that I've even seen a psych NP supervising a 1st year psychiatry resident (in a major allopathic medical school in one of the 5 largest cities in the US!) because there werent enough faculty to go around. There are too many FNPs.

Reactions: 1 user
grayscaleart: that is great to know because I am sooo interested in Psych NP!! It will be a long road for me, but hopefully I'll get there in a few years :).

Members don't see this ad :)

If you can't find postings for PMHNPs...well you just aren't looking....

Reactions: 1 user
there is a HUGE need for psych NPs. Psychiatrists in general are always in short supply. They're in such a short supply that I've even seen a psych NP supervising a 1st year psychiatry resident (in a major allopathic medical school in one of the 5 largest cities in the US!) because there werent enough faculty to go around. There are too many FNPs.

Dude, that's just wrong. A mid-level should NEVER be supervising a resident.

Dude, that's just wrong. A mid-level should NEVER be supervising a resident.
in a perfect world I would agree with you but it is more common than you think. I supervise fp residents in the e.d. on a regular basis and have for > 10 years at several different jobs. the procedural skills they need to learn are most frequently done in areas in which only the pa's work. most of our docs never suture, do I+D's, fracture reduction, remove fb's, do eye exams with slit lamps, etc. so if the pa's don't teach them no one will.
they do get a rotation with the docs as third years in the main e.d. but the first 2 years they spend with us in fast track and intermediate acuity areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
in a perfect world I would agree with you but it is more common than you think. I supervise fp residents in the e.d. on a regular basis and have for > 10 years at several different jobs. the procedural skills they need to learn are most frequently done in areas in which only the pa's work. most of our docs never suture, do I+D's, fracture reduction, remove fb's, do eye exams with slit lamps, etc. so if the pa's don't teach them no one will.
they do get a rotation with the docs as third years in the main e.d. but the first 2 years they spend with us in fast track and intermediate acuity areas.

It is a fool who does not learn from anyone around him enjoying an advantage in specific knowledge; this would include medical students, residents, and even attendings. If the PA has particular knowledge that you do not, do not hesitate to learn from them.

That said, your "perfect world" has included some pretty imperfect ideas over time...

Reactions: 1 users
The jobs for PMHNPs abound, and the salaries are quite high. You should expect between 90 and 180, as a starting salary, depending on your area of the country. I wish all NP programs were sort of generalist/FNP in nature with other specialization in a given specialty, i.e. psych, peds, gyn, etc. Unfortunately, NPs are required to be certified in their area of specialty and to pick up another specialty they must take the extra courses and testing for an added certification. The PA curriculum is a much better midlevel/extender curriculum. The FNP is often the choice for many because the student thinks they'll be able to anything, and they won't. This is especially true of psych. In my region, there are some FNPs who jumped into psychiatry early on and still earn less because they are not paneled to see all levels of mental health. They can, however, refill a patient's cyclobenzaprine without question, lol. None of the FNPs I know, in outpatient psych, are allowed to see those suspicioned as being psychotic, bipolar, or ADHD to name a few.

ETA: I'm not sure how I stumbled upon this thread as it's rather old. Forgive me.

Reactions: 2 users
Psych is better. Higher pay, more need IMO in better venues. Look at the VAs website.