Follow-Up LOR (i.e letter writer submitting a second LOR)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maroonspinstress

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my letter writers (and my current supervisor) offered to write me a follow-up LOR to highlight some of my recent accomplishments (that were not addressed in the letter from months ago).

I've never heard of anyone submitting second LORs from the same writer, and am not sure if that's even possible/viewed favorably. Many schools require all letters to be sent through AMCAS, and even for those that have a file-upload update system on their application portal, it seems wrong to upload the letter there (even if it's signed and on letterhead) since that would render the letter not-confidential.

I'm not sure how to proceed. It seems like a really nice opportunity for my "updates" to be accompanied by a supporting LOR, but I also don't want to do anything that's not kosher.

Has anyone done this before?

Members don't see this ad.

You can send an update letter yourself if you think it's necessary. Getting a LOR writer to do it for you doesn't seem like it would serve much of a purpose. He or she has already vouched for your academic ability. Their sending in an update won't add any more weight to it versus your doing it.

You can send an update letter yourself if you think it's necessary. Getting a LOR writer to do it for you doesn't seem like it would serve much of a purpose. He or she has already vouched for your academic ability. Their sending in an update won't add any more weight to it versus your doing it.

Thanks for your response!

I will definitely send in an update letter myself. My supervisor is offering to provide updates from their point of view, by way of insights about me gained in recent months--having me as a full-time researcher, vs. just a summer intern. So, the follow-up LOR in question wouldn't simply provide facts that I could just provide myself.

I have the sense that there isn't really room for this sort of thing in the application process. You are correct in that it might seem redundant given that the supervisor has already written a letter, though if it were at all possible to include this follow-up letter, I think it might be helpful. Just wondering how other people have dealt with similar situations :)

Thanks for your response!

I will definitely send in an update letter myself. My supervisor is offering to provide updates from their point of view, by way of insights about me gained in recent months--having me as a full-time researcher, vs. just a summer intern. So, the follow-up LOR in question wouldn't simply provide facts that I could just provide myself.

I have the sense that there isn't really room for this sort of thing in the application process. You are correct in that it might seem redundant given that the supervisor has already written a letter, though if it were at all possible to include this follow-up letter, I think it might be helpful. Just wondering how other people have dealt with similar situations :)

I'm sure it's been done, I just haven't heard of it. In my mind it takes away from the initial LOR. Basically saying "I told you this applicant was great before, but I was just saying that. Now I really know it's true!!" But I doubt any adcom would give it that much thought because they probably wouldn't read it.

This is a tough process. You're told you have to stand out but then you're told not to do anything that differs too much from the norm. In my opinion a second LOR crosses that line, but maybe someone with more experience will have more insight.

Reactions: 2 users