Food Stamps and Medicaid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcfreakdavid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently completing some post bach work for medical school(almost done!). Consequently, I am not working nearly as much and my employeer doesn't offer health insurance. My daughter has medicaid and we recently found out that we are expecting our second child. At first, I was oppose to using food assistance programs (pride), but my wife conviced me and we applied and qualified for both WIC and the food stamp program. Believe me, I still feel a bit ackward at the check out line, but It has made my goal of medical school that much eaiser. The question I have is can I still keep the food stamp benefit during medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, as long as I meet the income & asset tests you can still receive benefits.

WIC will last until the baby is 1 normally but the others are income based.

Congrats on the little one.

My understanding is that while childless students can have a hard time qualifying for SNAP (food stamps), you pretty much automatically qualify when you have dependent children under 6 years old, as long as you don't go above the income/asset limits. Here are two links that might be helpful:

http://www.masslegalhelp.org/income-benefits/food-stamps/advocacy-guide/part2/q34-college-student

http://oregonhunger.org/snap-for-students

I think it can vary a little bit state to state, so I would check with your local benefits office. And I don't think there's any reason to be embarrassed. You will pay it back ten times over once you start making money (and getting taxed) as an attending.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get WIC until the children are 5. Also find about day cay expenses. You can qualify for full or partial payments. Once you are considered low income their are alot of programs available. Do not be ashamed because when you become a Dr. and your income changes so does the amount of taxes you pay

Just an aside, WIC varies by state. It was mentioned in my volunteer training at the hospital earlier today that its ages 0-3 here in Illinois.

I don't think you should be embarrased by this. At least you are trying. I check pt's in all the time that are on medicaid and wicc and they have their hair done, prada bag, abecrombe clothes. That **** pisses me off.

If you worked, then you paid into the system, and this is what it was really meant for. When I first started medical school my wife had to buy her own health insurance for her and our daughters and it cost us $1000 per month. And this was not even good insurance. Since public assistance like medicaid and food stamps and WIC are based on your reported income from your federal taxes, whether or not your go to school is irrelevant.

However, you will have to produce a letter from your school stating that you are a student, because they ask you about it on the application.

WIC is for children who are <5 years old and the mother. During the first year, WIC is used for formula, milk, cereal, eggs, peanut butter, and eggs. It was great for us because we saved a lot of money on the formula for the baby and always had mild in the house. I know that it feels awkward but this is temporary. In the end, we wound up saving >$20,000 because of this help. Remember, you will pay it back and in spades when you are working again. So do not be embarrassed.

I don't think you should be embarrased by this. At least you are trying. I check pt's in all the time that are on medicaid and wicc and they have their hair done, prada bag, abecrombe clothes. That **** pisses me off.
And they're the ones who will remain on it indefinitely while people who have had a bad year and actually want to use the assistance to keep their head above water like it was intended will get rejected because they don't know how to game the system like the designer wearing slackers. THAT is the **** that pisses me off more than anything.

Yeah, just like the people who come in with their iphones, gold teeth, driving fancy cars and come into the food shelf because they have "no income".... **** YOU!!! But, we have created a system that is easily broken...

It depends on your state, and it's rules. However, like everyone has said, you most likely will still qualify.

I was actually discussing this with my Psych professor. How while I was waiting for an appointment there were 2 ghetto trash women talking about how with their daughter's welfare check they can get their second flat screen TV. His response was, "well, if that is their goal in life why would it bother you?" While you will be on assistance temporarily, they will NEVER get out of it. They will always be losers and be nothing and stay there. Slowly but surely, you will see that these people will have nothing since states are drying up when it comes to money and they will be forced to but the roles and where will these losers be? Meanwhile, you will be in your cushy job and nice house.

Thank you all for the encouragement.I must admit, taking orgo I and physics II over the summer while studying for the MCAT has been very tough. Not to mention the added stress of a pregnant wife and a 19 month old. The relief these programs that I thought I'd never use, has made it easier to take a month and a half off work to focus on school and MCAT. God seems to always take care of use when we need it most.

I was actually discussing this with my Psych professor. How while I was waiting for an appointment there were 2 ghetto trash women talking about how with their daughter's welfare check they can get their second flat screen TV. His response was, "well, if that is their goal in life why would it bother you?" While you will be on assistance temporarily, they will NEVER get out of it. They will always be losers and be nothing and stay there. Slowly but surely, you will see that these people will have nothing since states are drying up when it comes to money and they will be forced to but the roles and where will these losers be? Meanwhile, you will be in your cushy job and nice house.
My issue is that, if it wasn't for the system abusers, the states wouldn't be drying up as quickly. Gotta love paying higher taxes so someone can abuse a system that was originally intended to help people in need get through a hard time.

I am currently completing some post bach work for medical school(almost done!). Consequently, I am not working nearly as much and my employeer doesn't offer health insurance. My daughter has medicaid and we recently found out that we are expecting our second child. At first, I was oppose to using food assistance programs (pride), but my wife conviced me and we applied and qualified for both WIC and the food stamp program. Believe me, I still feel a bit ackward at the check out line, but It has made my goal of medical school that much eaiser. The question I have is can I still keep the food stamp benefit during medical school?
It will most likely depend on where you're getting food stamps. In my state and county, you cannot receive any if you're in college. That includes any level. It would be best if you contact your social worker.

My issue is that, if it wasn't for the system abusers, the states wouldn't be drying up as quickly. Gotta love paying higher taxes so someone can abuse a system that was originally intended to help people in need get through a hard time.

The system doesn't offer any incentives to individuals to get off the system hence why it is inherently broken. Let's pop out a few more kids... :(

Sighs* The people that are hurt aren't those that do above but those that really do need it because they are going through hard straights.

The system doesn't offer any incentives to individuals to get off the system hence why it is inherently broken. Let's pop out a few more kids... :(

And the reason they have so many kids with so many different fathers is so they CAN get more welfare. Those are kids are NOT kids, to them they are free money. And in the end, we treat them all in the clinic and their life of poverty leads to crime and eventually incarceration. So no matter what, the hard working people who do the right thing support this trash.

The government should step in and tell them that the piggy bank is empty and they have to get off the roles in the next 3 years after going to school. If they do not, then they owe the tax payers back for the loans they are receiving WITH interest. At the same time, audit the bastards and replace their expensive hoopties with a car good enough to get around in to and from work/school.

And the reason they have so many kids with so many different fathers is so they CAN get more welfare. Those are kids are NOT kids, to them they are free money. And in the end, we treat them all in the clinic and their life of poverty leads to crime and eventually incarceration. So no matter what, the hard working people who do the right thing support this trash.

The government should step in and tell them that the piggy bank is empty and they have to get off the roles in the next 3 years after going to school. If they do not, then they owe the tax payers back for the loans they are receiving WITH interest. At the same time, audit the bastards and replace their expensive hoopties with a car good enough to get around in to and from work/school.

Couldn't agree more.