Food stamps/WIC?Medicaid Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syap

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. I am moving from Arizona to Indiana for dental school and have a 7 week old daughter and wife that won't be working while I am in school. I assume that the living expenses that I am allowed to take out from loans won't be sufficient for a family of three. Questions for those that have gone before:
Is it difficult to gain residency in a different state, specifically for me Indiana (about long does it take)?
Is the process long/hard for applying to these programs and is there a high chance of being approved?
Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Residency for instate tuition can be tricky- most states want you to live there for a year without going to school before they charge you as a resident.

As far as the safety net programs, as long as you have an address in the state and are low income, you will qualify. WIC is great- they will help you with formula if you use it, and nutritious food for your wife if she breast feeds. They are also a good place to find other resources for your family while you are in school. When you set up the appointment, ask them what documents you need to bring, and have them ready- a social worker's life can be very frustrating!

I have a large family, and I was able to ask for more loans to cover the extra expenses that come with kids. At my school we have a "dental mom", someone who knows everyone in the school and is an inexhaustible source of ideas. If you have someone like that at your school, get on his or her good side right away!

Congratulations on the new little one!

Residency for instate tuition can be tricky- most states want you to live there for a year without going to school before they charge you as a resident.

As far as the safety net programs, as long as you have an address in the state and are low income, you will qualify. WIC is great- they will help you with formula if you use it, and nutritious food for your wife if she breast feeds. They are also a good place to find other resources for your family while you are in school. When you set up the appointment, ask them what documents you need to bring, and have them ready- a social worker's life can be very frustrating!

I have a large family, and I was able to ask for more loans to cover the extra expenses that come with kids. At my school we have a "dental mom", someone who knows everyone in the school and is an inexhaustible source of ideas. If you have someone like that at your school, get on his or her good side right away!

Congratulations on the new little one!
Thanks! Indiana will not give in state tuition at all, unfortunately, but thank you for the tips!