For 2014 mid-august applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pvalente

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster. I want to start a thread with some pre-dents who are in a similar position. Took DAT July 8th. ADEA AADSAS application verified and completed as of today! (aug 15th). Tad bit on the late side, but didn't have a choice. I have a degree in marketing from Ithaca College and spent the last two years gaining all of the pre-reqs for dental school. It has been a major life change! Can't believe it is all complete!:naughty:

Schools applied to: UB, SB, Marquette, Rutgers, UT San Antonio, Pitt, WV, Louisville.

New York State resident. 27 years old. Non traditional applicant. Guitar teacher and a philiac of science, philosophy, and football. Go pack go.

Stats:
Science GPA: 3.89
oGPA: 3.77
AA 21 TS 21 PAT 18 (RC 24 QR 19 OC 22 GC 21 BIO 21)

Don't have a fancy resume of volunteering or research because I have been working for the past five years. Did accumulate about 150 hours of shadowing in prostho and gen. dent.

Not a gunner. Very laid back guy- will talk DAT, or anything regarding dental school. Used DAT Bootcamp, KBB, Cliff's Bio, and Crack DAT PAT/ Math. Studied five days a week for 5-6 weeks. Test day- nervous! Was crushing PAT, thought it was easy on DAT- shocked at the 18. Other than that- happy with scores. Happy its over! Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Howdy! We're pretty similar...in that we're older and watch football? Anyways, welcome to the forum. My stuff was completed August 5th, mailed out the 9th. Haven't heard from any schools, but I don't expect to either. Exciting times indeed...

You have great stats and dental schools love the arts majors- you are going to tear it up. On top of that you live in TX - Lucky! Great tuition and great schools.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The 3 Texas schools (Houston, SA and Baylor), Uni of Oklahoma (my alma mater) and Creighton (closest private school to my home). Playing the waiting game...

Yeah and we may have to play the waiting game for quite some time according to some of the other forums. I applied to San Antonio because of the great reputation and the low cost. I heard it is quite hard for an out of state applicant to get in but hey it's worth a shot. You and I are unique applicants. We both are musicians which will contribute to our manual dexterity :)

Hey everyone, Texas native and chemist here! I submitted my application this passed Monday and all in missing is my committee letter which should be coming this upcoming week.
I took my DAT on July 9 and hoping for the best. I am kind of nervous because we might be late :(

Good luck everyone!

Yeah and we may have to play the waiting game for quite some time according to some of the other forums. I applied to San Antonio because of the great reputation and the low cost. I heard it is quite hard for an out of state applicant to get in but hey it's worth a shot. You and I are unique applicants. We both are musicians which will contribute to our manual dexterity :)

Awesome, what's your poison? Well, we become less unique with each new musician applying :p SA is hard to come by OOS, but there's no harm in trying. It's a great school.

Hey everyone, Texas native and chemist here! I submitted my application this passed Monday and all in missing is my committee letter which should be coming this upcoming week.
I took my DAT on July 9 and hoping for the best. I am kind of nervous because we might be late :(

Good luck everyone!

Nonsense. You app will get processed in the next 3 weeks and you'll be fine.

Awesome, what's your poison? Well, we become less unique with each new musician applying :p SA is hard to come by OOS, but there's no harm in trying. It's a great school.

Sure is. According to 2013 ADEA Dental School book 21/489 OOS got interviews. That's a whopping 4.3%

This thread is interesting! I am 26 and a non-trad student too... Very similar stats as the original post. I majored in Econ but took my premed course in undergrad. I have received a few generic emails and doing my supplemental applications. Good Luck Non- trads!

Last edited:
Based on the Packers support, I doubt anyone will love you but you may have a shot at dental school. Good luck!

Anyone got any interviews or rejections yet?

Long time reader, first time poster. I want to start a thread with some pre-dents who are in a similar position. Took DAT July 8th. ADEA AADSAS application verified and completed as of today! (aug 15th). Tad bit on the late side, but didn't have a choice. I have a degree in marketing from Ithaca College and spent the last two years gaining all of the pre-reqs for dental school. It has been a major life change! Can't believe it is all complete!:naughty:

Schools applied to: UB, SB, Marquette, Rutgers, UT San Antonio, Pitt, WV, Louisville.

New York State resident. 27 years old. Non traditional applicant. Guitar teacher and a philiac of science, philosophy, and football. Go pack go.

Stats:
Science GPA: 3.89
oGPA: 3.77
AA 21 TS 21 PAT 18 (RC 24 QR 19 OC 22 GC 21 BIO 21)

Don't have a fancy resume of volunteering or research because I have been working for the past five years. Did accumulate about 150 hours of shadowing in prostho and gen. dent.

Not a gunner. Very laid back guy- will talk DAT, or anything regarding dental school. Used DAT Bootcamp, KBB, Cliff's Bio, and Crack DAT PAT/ Math. Studied five days a week for 5-6 weeks. Test day- nervous! Was crushing PAT, thought it was easy on DAT- shocked at the 18. Other than that- happy with scores. Happy its over! Cheers.
:love:

I really hope you get in.:thumbup:

Hey guys! Similar situation, took my DAT around july 30th (much later then you guys) But my application was complete around august 11th.

Just received 3 interviews!

(and your stats are much higher then mine so I'm sure you'll be fine!)

Interview at Pitt and UB. So yes, I think applying late in the cycle hurt my chances slightly but I will take 3/8 is not too bad.