For all other space nerds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He barely edged out a couple of Kenyan marathon runners for the "Fastest Man Alive" title.

Nice Frank Costello quote btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seeing the curvature of the Earth like that would freak me out.

tumblr_mc38988egT1rudrhto1_400.jpg

Seeing the curvature of the Earth like that would freak me out.

tumblr_mc38988egT1rudrhto1_400.jpg

This is exactly what I thought when I was first watching it. I thought the guy was a trained astronaut and it was some kind of test video for something, idk. I didn't expect it to be the Red Bull jump.

The crazy thing is though, he was only in the stratosphere!!

This is exactly what I thought when I was first watching it. I thought the guy was a trained astronaut and it was some kind of test video for something, idk. I didn't expect it to be the Red Bull jump.

The crazy thing is though, he was only in the stratosphere!!

Yeah that's pretty nuts. Either way, I'm impressed, and I'm gonna go to 7/11 and buy a Red Bull to fund our newest space program: RBASA.

When he was flipping around for a little after the jump, I was nervous that he was just gonna spin to his doom, it was a little scary. But very cool. haha

This guy was nowhere near 'space'. Obviously what constitutes 'space' is not an exact definition - it's merely an ever decreasing amount of density, but the two standard measurements are 80km or 100km...this guy was not even 40km.

It was an awesome feat, and it's amazing, but this doesn't have anything to do with the space program.

Hint: It's not a space program if your vehicle is a hot air balloon.

This guy was nowhere near 'space'. Obviously what constitutes 'space' is not an exact definition - it's merely an ever decreasing amount of density, but the two standard measurements are 80km or 100km...this guy was not even 40km.

It was an awesome feat, and it's amazing, but this doesn't have anything to do with the space program.

Hint: It's not a space program if your vehicle is a hot air balloon.

We know, the video is called "red bull strato jump"

It was just pretty cool because the guy has a real pressurized suit like the astronauts, and he achieved mach 1+,

thanks though for the space information

I know, they said it was a strato jump but here and other places, people have been calling it a space jump or jump from 'the edge of space', which isn't accurate. It's not like the guy jumped from the ISS. It takes a lot more than a balloon to get out into 'space'. Hell, even something as powerful as the Space Shuttle can't really get out of low earth orbit - its way too weak. We needed the unbelievable power of the Saturn V rockets (the most powerful rockets ever designed - nothing like them even on the drawing boards) to get to the moon.

Anyway, this isn't to diminish what they were able to do here. It was a great achievement.