For all us non PharmCas Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julierx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been reading and checking the threads about every day, and it seems like a lot of the issues are for those students done applying, or using PharmCas. I am applying only in Texas, and feel slightly apprehensive about the whole process. I was wondering if there are any other SDN readers applying in Texas, and what issues are they running into.

Currently, I am finding that the Tech application is way to long, and asks for more than one personal statement in a discrete way. One about a day in the pharmacy, and one for life experiences that made us choose pharmacy as a career. Both of mine revolve around my pharm tech job and it is hard to avoid sounding the same. Anyone else having a problem with this? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I feel your pain, julie. I'm applying to UTexas, UHouston, and TTU and all three have caused me major and minor headaches.

First, about TTU. Long is not the word for that application. I was worn out after the first thirty or so pages, so I kept that sneaky "personal experience" essay short and sweet. If they ask why it was so short, I'll just tell them I didn't know how long it was supposed to be--they don't have a page limit posted for that one. As for the longer essay, I ran into the same problem as you. How do you avoid sounding repetitive? In your case, maybe you can talk about your first day as a tech. Just brainstorming here.

But the fun doesn't stop at TTU. I don't know your personal situation, but if you're applying to UT, and if you're not currently a UT student, then get ready to write three more essays for them. To make matters worse, the UT COP won't even consider you until you've completed a seperate application process to the UT office of admissions. And for a little added torture, the UT office of admissions won't consider you until they've received your most recent transcript, which means that if you're an active student, you can probably forget about early admission consideration. Talk about frustrating.

As for UH, compared to the others their application was relatively painless, although it was also too long. At least they didn't require an essay.

Hope this helps. I don't know about you, but a centralized application system (PCAS) is sounding pretty good to me about now. If you or anyone else knows how I can speed up the application process to UT, please let me know.

Good luck.

that1guy said:
I feel your pain, julie. I'm applying to UTexas, UHouston, and TTU and all three have caused me major and minor headaches.

First, about TTU. Long is not the word for that application. I was worn out after the first thirty or so pages, so I kept that sneaky "personal experience" essay short and sweet. If they ask why it was so short, I'll just tell them I didn't know how long it was supposed to be--they don't have a page limit posted for that one. As for the longer essay, I ran into the same problem as you. How do you avoid sounding repetitive? In your case, maybe you can talk about your first day as a tech. Just brainstorming here.

But the fun doesn't stop at TTU. I don't know your personal situation, but if you're applying to UT, and if you're not currently a UT student, then get ready to write three more essays for them. To make matters worse, the UT COP won't even consider you until you've completed a seperate application process to the UT office of admissions. And for a little added torture, the UT office of admissions won't consider you until they've received your most recent transcript, which means that if you're an active student, you can probably forget about early admission consideration. Talk about frustrating.

As for UH, compared to the others their application was relatively painless, although it was also too long. At least they didn't require an essay.

Hope this helps. I don't know about you, but a centralized application system (PCAS) is sounding pretty good to me about now. If you or anyone else knows how I can speed up the application process to UT, please let me know.

Good luck.

I had no idea UT makes you go through so much!! I'm so sorry to hear they make you do all that uneccessary paperwork. I am currently attending UT-Austin so I won't have to go through all that you are going through.

And, I do not know for sure, but are you applying to undergraduate admissions as a transfer student, and then to the COP? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about those two admissions essays, it is probably just a formality. I am sure that the personal statement is what they are going to focus on.

I am applying to the same schools as you, and keep getting stuck with the personal statement. As for tech, I think your right about the length of the personal experiences, there is no limit, so mine will be pretty short. And I was thinking about just talking about my first day as a tech for the longer actual personal statement too.

Overall, I just feel like we won't get a decision for a while, and can't wait to get though this process!!

Good luck with everything. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i am glad to here that i am not the only texan with a pharm app headache! i think that texas needs a common pharm school application.

I'm from texas and I'm applying to 3 texas schools (UT, TT, and UH) as well as one out of state school which means Pharmcas AND a supplemental application, and you know what, ITS TAKING WAY TOO LONG!

Pharmcas-come on, why do we need to input our ENTIRE coursework when we're already giving them our transcripts for them to do, just pointless.

TT-It's a long app process but at the same time, it's nice that we don't have to print out stuff and send it in, it's all web based, minus the LOR's and transcripts. I also felt that I was repeating myself on the essays as well so I'm glad to hear others are feeling the same.

UH-Has no essays which is really nice but as someone in the forum mentioned, it just shows that they're all about the numbers.

UT-I'm a UT alumn which means I have to do the COP app AND the grad student-readmission app which they said was one page but it turned out to be 9 pages.

Well, good luck to you guys, just keep on trucking!

PharmEm said:
I'm from texas and I'm applying to 3 texas schools (UT, TT, and UH) as well as one out of state school which means Pharmcas AND a supplemental application, and you know what, ITS TAKING WAY TOO LONG!

Pharmcas-come on, why do we need to input our ENTIRE coursework when we're already giving them our transcripts for them to do, just pointless.

TT-It's a long app process but at the same time, it's nice that we don't have to print out stuff and send it in, it's all web based, minus the LOR's and transcripts. I also felt that I was repeating myself on the essays as well so I'm glad to hear others are feeling the same.

UH-Has no essays which is really nice but as someone in the forum mentioned, it just shows that they're all about the numbers.

UT-I'm a UT alumn which means I have to do the COP app AND the grad student-readmission app which they said was one page but it turned out to be 9 pages.

Well, good luck to you guys, just keep on trucking!

I'm with 'yall. I'm a UT alum, so the re-application for regular admission was rather painless(except for the additional cost ;) ). One plus for the Texas apps(especially Tech) is that they keep all of your info for years. I applied to Tech out of high school and went to UT insted. When I finished my pharmacy school application this year, the confirmation page showed that they already had many of my transcripts and kept my file up to date. This saved me money in not having to re-submit a lot of info. Hang in there. There must be a reason that all of the Texas schools don't use PharmCAS. It could be some sort of Texas rebellion thing that we learned about in the required Texas government course :laugh: .

wheelsonfire said:
I'm with 'yall. I'm a UT alum, so the re-application for regular admission was rather painless(except for the additional cost ;) ). One plus for the Texas apps(especially Tech) is that they keep all of your info for years. I applied to Tech out of high school and went to UT insted. When I finished my pharmacy school application this year, the confirmation page showed that they already had many of my transcripts and kept my file up to date. This saved me money in not having to re-submit a lot of info. Hang in there. There must be a reason that all of the Texas schools don't use PharmCAS. It could be some sort of Texas rebellion thing that we learned about in the required Texas government course :laugh: .
C'mon.........there's got to be more Texas peeps out there. Post your info. We're all in this together!

wheelsonfire said:
C'mon.........there's got to be more Texas peeps out there. Post your info. We're all in this together!

u dont know how glad i am to hear all of u guys are going through the same things i am. thats why i posted the thread, it seemed like no one on SDN was applying to texas schools.

...I know it will most likely be a fruitless attempt, but I am applying to TX schools from out-of-state. Already have everything in to UT (yes, both applications and all of the essays! :D ), but it seems worth it to me to at least try...

Good luck, Rxbound. Let me know if you get accepted and I'll send you a bumper sticker that I see all the time. It says, "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could." ;)

I'm from Georgia, applying to UT. I wonder if I'm wasting my time, but we'll see! I used to live in Texas.

Anyone know about the genetics requirement? Does it absolutely have to be finished before summer? Reason I ask is I JUST found out that the genetics class here places priority on undergrads who are bio majors and the class is currently full for next semester, and it's the only time they offer it. :( So if I can't take it, I guess there is no point in applying to UT! :(

starsweet said:
I'm from Georgia, applying to UT. I wonder if I'm wasting my time, but we'll see! I used to live in Texas.

Anyone know about the genetics requirement? Does it absolutely have to be finished before summer? Reason I ask is I JUST found out that the genetics class here places priority on undergrads who are bio majors and the class is currently full for next semester, and it's the only time they offer it. :( So if I can't take it, I guess there is no point in applying to UT! :(

Unfortunately, UT requires all science courses (if not all courses) to be completed next spring if you wish to enter the fall 06 class. I think it's unfair for you to not to be able to apply because of one class. Try talking to a department head or something of the bio dept, and explaining your situation. I think it is a reasonable request. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
julierx said:
Unfortunately, UT requires all science courses (if not all courses) to be completed next spring if you wish to enter the fall 06 class. I think it's unfair for you to not to be able to apply because of one class. Try talking to a department head or something of the bio dept, and explaining your situation. I think it is a reasonable request. Good luck.

Thanks for your advice. I already tried talking to them, they said the only way I could take it is if someone drops the class during the final registration period in January. The only reason it's like this is because they offer the class once, so it fills up really quickly. And since I'm technically not an "undergrad" I have no priority. :( I guess I'll have to wait and see.

lol, yeah, i was hoping to fall back on a Texas school, but the apps are such a headache that i'm readying myself to head northeast. the UT app is still staring me in the face.

Well, I talked to them again and they said I could still apply without Genetics but that if I got in and decided to go, I would have to move to Austin the summer before school starts and take the class then at UT, and start P1 in the fall. Damn genetics requirement! :(

Hi guys,

Here's one of UT Austin's required essays that we must complete:

Many students expand their view of the world during their time in college. Such growth often results from encounters between students who have lived different cultural, economic, or academic experiences. With your future growth in mind, describe a potential classmate that you believe you could learn from either within or outside a formal classroom environment.

That's clearly directed at a freshman with interests into the university. Since I've received my BS and am applying to their pharmacy school, anybody has any idea what "potential" classmate I can talk about? Can I talk about a classmate that I had met while in college? I asked both the university and the COP but no one seemed to know what I'm talking about.

Thanks so much if anyone can help.

starsweet said:
Well, I talked to them again and they said I could still apply without Genetics but that if I got in and decided to go, I would have to move to Austin the summer before school starts and take the class then at UT, and start P1 in the fall. Damn genetics requirement! :(

Look on the brightside, you'll get to be in Austin for the summer! :)

i am actually sitting here trying to write my tech essay about my impressions of the pharmacy. completely stuck. the deadline is looming in my face. and i'm waiting for my fall transcript to come out.

how long is the processing time for these schools? i work in the grad admissions office and i know this is our busiest time and it takes 2-3 weeks to input things into the computer. i'm worried it's the same with the pharm schools. i want to make sure my rec letters are getting there. one of them is coming from poland! and i don't really want to pester my rec letter people about it. like have you sent it? are you SURe you know the deadline!!

i'm a current ut student and applying to ut, houston, and tech. honestly, i don't think i could move away from austin. soooo if i don't get into ut, i might be switching my major. maybe...

julierx said:
Look on the brightside, you'll get to be in Austin for the summer! :)

I decided to go ahead and apply to see what happens. I figured I can also take genetics online in the summer if I need to. I just don't want to take a class that none of my other schools require for a school that may not admit me as an out of state student. So I'll wait till they make a decision on me.

I also have to do the potential student essay. I am approaching it as if the student is in pharmacy school. I don't see any other way to do it since we are not freshmen.

wheelsonfire said:

I'm applying in TX, but only at UIW. I love my school! :D

julierx said:
Hey guys,

I have been reading and checking the threads about every day, and it seems like a lot of the issues are for those students done applying, or using PharmCas. I am applying only in Texas, and feel slightly apprehensive about the whole process. I was wondering if there are any other SDN readers applying in Texas, and what issues are they running into.

Currently, I am finding that the Tech application is way to long, and asks for more than one personal statement in a discrete way. One about a day in the pharmacy, and one for life experiences that made us choose pharmacy as a career. Both of mine revolve around my pharm tech job and it is hard to avoid sounding the same. Anyone else having a problem with this? :oops:

Am I missing something? I believe there is just one essay required for the Texas Tech ( the one for experience of 1 day at the pharmacy)

the other one is like hidden. it was the question like if you had anything diverse to offer to tech. ie like special circumstances/background. if you put yes, then there is a space to input an essay. or at least a paragraph.

Hey guys! I am a current UT-Austin student and just I submitted my application to UT on Friday and mailed off all the required documents to UH on Monday.

Does anyone know how the tracking documents work for either UT or UH, and when can I start seeing if they have all of my stuff?

For UT, go back to the application page and choose "Login to existing application."

For UH go to the application page and login. Both will show you a list of required documents and will say if they have received those documents or not.

When I filled out my apps, I could check the status right away. Of course, nothing was there...but you can do it.

UH usually updates your info the same day they receive documents. UT takes longer...a week to two weeks.

Good luck.

Thanks, both of the tracking documents got updated today.

Now comes the waiting...