For anyone on SDN that wants insight on the MCAT grind

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RiPSTONE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just finished my first official FL (AAMC 3) besides my diagnostic test (AAMC) from January. I got a 23 on the diagnostic and hit a 33, which is nice for me on AAMC 3. I hope I can get at least that on the real thing on August 15. It seems like SN2ed's schedule paid off, and I'll keep updating this thread with future practice test scores. After my test date I'll also update this post with everything I did, my thoughts throughout the grind, what I would've done differently, and answer anything that you guys ask of me because I want to give back to SDN what its members gave me in the form of question help and general guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I got destroyed by TPR #1 today. I got a 27 (10/7/10), skipped an entire passage of verbal and just thought the verbal was overwhelming compared to AAMC #3. I feel like the sciences were fair, but a tad bit harder than that presented by AAMC. I'm not sure what to think of this, but it definitely shows me that I still have to improve.

Reactions: 1 user
What were your averages throughout TBR passages for physics and chem? Is O-chem mucho important?

I guess I missed a lot at the beginning of the schedule, but it eventually came down to 1-3 mistakes per passage. If I didn't understand the passage then I'd get destroyed. I think doing well in your ochem class really helps as it has helped me a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you struggle with TBR physics passages? Any tips for improvement? This is definitely my weakest area

Yes. Keep at it in TBR physics. I definitely felt like physics was my worst as well and after finishing the schedule I have a solid 10 in PS. I'm definitely trying to improve within the month in order to get an 11-12.

Cool thanks. Did you ever fall behind on Sn2ed's schedule? Sometimes I have to finish the chapter the next day because I just cant study anymore or just lose concentration...Then this reciprocates to the next day. I am on Day6 and taking the MCAT on Nov 7th.

Absolutely. It takes time to get used to the schedule. I feel like the first two weeks were the hardest. Then I was able to do two days worth of work in one day. Of course, everyone is different and will adapt the schedule as they see fit. Good luck!

Yeah man, TBR physics passages killed me. I'd get virtually every problem wrong...

Did you manage to improve on that? they kill me too :(
I gave up on TBR. I felt like I was mostly getting what I read leading up to the practice problems but then the practice problems killed me. After reading the answer, I'd understand the rationale (usually) but I'd be like how the eff was I supposed to see that?! If I were to go back and redo the same problems now, I'm confident I'd still get them wrong.

@csx have you taken your MCAT yet and if so what did u receive? You can PM me if you like. I am having trouble with TBR passages but the content, I understand.

When I first started TBR, I think I was getting around 3 on average wrong. Now, I am around 1-2 wrong per passage (of course I have those days where I get multiple questions wrong). When you start out, you will not have enough of a balanced approach to tackling the questions (how much is memory and how much is understanding the passage). As you keep doing them, you find that balance. Just yesterday I remember doing a couple passages where I did not even remember the content very well on some questions. However, I was able to get them right. The reason was that I tried to understand the passage the best I could (I even referred back to the passage at times for the answer). Another part of it was deduction and visualization of answer choices.

Remember this though, make sure you look at all the answers you got right. Sometimes there are concepts in the answer choices or pieces of knowledge that could help you in future problems (even if you deduction process was the same as what the answer is showing).

Thanks for your insights. I'm about a month into the schedule and although I've been following it pretty well, I'm still worried that I won't do well on my practice tests and have enough time to improve before the real thing. Gotta trust myself and the process though!

Members don't see this ad :)
@csx have you taken your MCAT yet and if so what did u receive? You can PM me if you like. I am having trouble with TBR passages but the content, I understand.
I have not taken the MCAT yet. Sounds like we are in the same boat. No idea how this is gonna translate to the real thing ughh...most likely not well

Hey so when we take verbal practice passages say in EK 101 or TPR-HLVW... are we supposed to look at the explanations for the answers? Or just used them as practice and score them as right or wrong because AAMC reasoning behind verbal is different from EK or TPR or TBR

-JK

Hey so when we take verbal practice passages say in EK 101 or TPR-HLVW... are we supposed to look at the explanations for the answers? Or just used them as practice and score them as right or wrong because AAMC reasoning behind verbal is different from EK or TPR or TBR

-JK

I have actually looked over my AAMC passages and found out that there are similarities and differences in the way the answers are derived. I felt like the way EK and TPR presents the passages and questions do not quite hit the mark exactly. EK's passages are not as convoluted as the AAMC practice passages, but found that when I understood the passage I actually did not need to look back very much (I still say you need to look back every so often). I just take a longer time to read the passage and understand what I am reading (it works for me). TPR passages resemble the AAMC practice exams more, but they can get a little too convoluted. The passages emphasize looking back a little too much in all honesty.

From what I gathered from the AAMC passages, they seem to ask questions with a lot of inferences. These inferences can be in the passages, questions, or even answer choices. EK and TPR make it seem like the answer was right in the passage in one spot, which is not true on the AAMC material. Sometimes AAMC tests would ask a questions that was derived in 2 parts of the passage which are paragraphs apart! So it seems much easier to get an understanding of what is being read (getting an idea of each paragraph) versus going back chronically to check and confirm an answer choice.

I would suggest you find a method and practice religiously. Use the answers on the back of EK and TPR to guide your method (don't use their answers as a be all end all).

I'm very confused at this point because I just took TPR #2 and got another 27, but this time the split was (10/6/11). I went down in verbal by 1 and up in BS by 1. I don't know what it is, but I just get destroyed by TPR Verbal. I use the EK method of reading then answering the questions, but when I do the TPR verbal, I feel like I don't understand passages, spend too much time looking back, and barely finish on time. I'm currently starting the EK 101 Verbal Questions in hopes that it gives me more practice and can help improve my score.

TPR #3: 29 (10/9/10). I definitely felt more sharp on verbal today. Sciences definitely felt a little harder than previous 2.

Averages so far:
AAMC: 33 (1 Test)
TPR: 27.66 (3 Tests)

Last edited:
Just took TPR MCAT Review Online Practice Test #1 and got absolutely destroyed 19 (6/6/7).
I didn't think verbal was hard, but I still did very poorly in it...

Just took TPR MCAT Review Online Practice Test #1 and got absolutely destroyed 19 (6/6/7).
What do you think went wrong??

Did you finish content review before taking the TPR practice tests?

@csx, The test was much harder than AAMC 3 and the other TPR tests that I have taken. I'm concerned about verbal though haha.

@jrhuynh94, Yes
What are some tips you would give on these tests?I too have a major set back with the VR section. Do the TPR tests differ from the review tests and the cracking tests that TPR offers? I would like to know which order I should take them in before diving into the AAMC's.

@jrhuynh94, I'm just taking all the TPR tests that I have scheduled before I do all the AAMCs leading up to my test date. As for tips, just know your stuff. I can't really help you in the verbal department because I suck at it.

Cool thanks. Did you ever fall behind on Sn2ed's schedule? Sometimes I have to finish the chapter the next day because I just cant study anymore or just lose concentration...Then this reciprocates to the next day. I am on Day6 and taking the MCAT on Nov 7th.

I also am taking the MCAT November 7th. I just wanted to study for as long as I could before taking the test again.
I took it in 1997.....so the last few months have been heck.

I also am taking the MCAT November 7th. I just wanted to study for as long as I could before taking the test again.
I took it in 1997.....so the last few months have been heck.
Oh man I can't imagine how much its changed since then! We still have plenty of time until November, just gotta stay on top of our schedule :)

Question for any of you that have been studying for awhile now...when you started, did you take a practice test just to see where you were at? Did you study before it if you did?

I did some half assed studying for 3 months and then took AAMC 3. Then started doing something similar to the SN2ed 3 month schedule.

I did some half assed studying for 3 months and then took AAMC 3. Then started doing something similar to the SN2ed 3 month schedule.
What do you consider half ass studying? Howd u do on AAMC 3??

What do you consider half ass studying? Howd u do on AAMC 3??
I didn't really have a plan, so I just did a few passages from Princeton Review's Hyperlearning Science WB a day without thoroughly reviewing my mistakes. I scored a 31 PS 10, V 10, BS 11.

Just took the Review Online Practice 2 and got a 22: 6/9/7

After taking this test, I feel like you can readily predict your verbal score after you take a test and there is no secret to verbal. You either understand the passage or you don't and will or will not be able to answer the questions based on your comprehension.

Just took TPR #4 and got a 27: (10/7/10)

I completely blew a passage on verbal and that killed my score.

Just took TPR #5 and thought it was the easiest thing ever but only got a 28 (10/8/10)

I don't know what went wrong, but I'm excited that I only need to take one more TPR test before going back to AAMC

Taking a break today and I will be finishing AAMC 4-11 up until my test date in August. So far I've gotten a 33 on AAMC 3 and an average of 25.75 on my TPR practice tests (This average is every single TPR test offered besides Cracking 2 and 3). I'll be updating this with AAMC scores as I take them.

Question for any of you that have been studying for awhile now...when you started, did you take a practice test just to see where you were at? Did you study before it if you did?

Yea Princeton Review suggested that we take AAMC 10 around the beginning of the course, so I took it with basically no studying and just whatever I remembered from the classes I took before

Just took the Review Online Practice 2 and got a 22: 6/9/7

After taking this test, I feel like you can readily predict your verbal score after you take a test and there is no secret to verbal. You either understand the passage or you don't and will or will not be able to answer the questions based on your comprehension.

What did you think of the difficulty of Review Online Practice 2? I remember taking the first one and thinking it was considerably harder than TPR tests, which are already tougher than AAMC tests.

@iforget2, I don't want to think about the Review Online Practices haha..I got a 19 and 22 on 1 and 2 respectively. It wasn't fun.
have you done anymore AAMC's?

just as an aside, Im studying using TPR physics and I'm getting wrecked by anything that involves a calculation :(

31 on AAMC #4 (13/9/9)

My thoughts.... The AAMC tests are different than TPR tests. TPR prepares you well for the verbal, but AAMC sciences are more analysis of passages rather than straight memorization of facts. Take your TPR test scores with a grain of salt. Hopefully I can consistently hit 30+ on all of my AAMCs.

31 on AAMC #4 (13/9/9)

My thoughts.... The AAMC tests are different than TPR tests. TPR prepares you well for the verbal, but AAMC sciences are more analysis of passages rather than straight memorization of facts. Take your TPR test scores with a grain of salt. Hopefully I can consistently hit 30+ on all of my AAMCs.
I've heard this about the BS...do you feel this applies to the PS section/organic as well? Now when you say analysis of passage, do you mean, the answer is pretty much in the passage and you got to infer the answer?

I feel like PS section is just practice, practice, practice. Yes, inference based on what they give you.

I feel like PS section is just practice, practice, practice. Yes, inference based on what they give you.
My friend took AAMC #4 just today and she said she scored a 27 because she felt she was lacking in content review. What say you to that??

People say that if you get under a 10 in the sciences that it's due to content deficiency. I do believe that because I got a 9 on the BS section because I totally screwed up the organic chemistry part of AAMC #4. It's okay though to mess up on practice tests though as long as it teaches you that you're weak in an area and can fix it before the real test. I'm about to take AAMC #5, and I'll post my score on here soon after I take it.

I only got a 28 on AAMC #5 (11/8/9). I thought it was harder than AAMC #4 for sure. I feel like I haven't really even improved verbal since the beginning. I got an 8 on my diagnostic, 10 on #3, 9 on #4, and 8 on #5. I'm not sure what to do. My test is in 2 weeks.

Last edited:
I only got a 28 on AAMC #5 (11/8/9). I thought it was harder than AAMC #4 for sure. I feel like I haven't really even improved verbal since the beginning. I got an 8 on my diagnostic, 10 on #3, 9 on #4, and 8 on #5. I'm not sure what to do. My test is in 2 weeks.
What do you mean by more difficult? longer passages? more difficult concepts? More convoluted passages? Calculation heavy? unfamiliarity with a topic? etc

What score are you trying to get on the real thing??

Hmm, I only went over the BS section today and out of the 14 that I missed, I didn't know facts for 5 of them, a couple of stupid mistakes, and just plain mistakes. I'm trying to get a 30+ at this point, but verbal is holding me back right now.

What do you mean by more difficult? longer passages? more difficult concepts? More convoluted passages? Calculation heavy? unfamiliarity with a topic? etc

What score are you trying to get on the real thing??

These two on PS(well the last passage was especially convoluted, and I got all of question right, I don't know how that happened). Plus more calculations than AAMC 7 and AAMC 8.