For anyone who went to Boston U, Tufts, GWU, Georgetown, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MysteryF

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I know schools mentioned above are great schools but they also happen to be really expensive. For people who go to those schools over cheaper ones, how do they convince themselves to do so? Do the parents just have the money for it or do you just not consider cost to be that much of a factor? I am looking at such a high priced school that I love but I am not sure if loving a school is enough for such cost? Any tips/advices from those people?

Members don't see this ad.

You're very wise to be asking, and to be asking now, before (presumably) you have an acceptance to one of these very expensive schools and nowhere else. The answers you get will be as varied as the posters here.
  • Some have only one acceptance, and the choice is there or nowhere; and for them, the question comes down to mountains of debt but reasonable assurance of a high-paying job to pay it off, or giving up on their dreams. There are several agonizing posts to that effect, with students eventually landing in both directions.
  • There are others with rich parents or scholarships. Lucky them.
  • There are others who prioritize location, reputation and 'fit ' above debt, and take the leap.
  • And still others who compare these most-expensive schools with others that, while 'average' in cost, are still in total very expensive, and look at the cost difference more than the total.
Bottom line -- Make the "pay big bucks or find another career" decision before you get that one acceptance to avoid putting yourself in the unenviable position described in the first bullet point.