For applying is there a difference between a 3.7 sci gpa and a 3.8 sci gpa.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopfeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Considering applying this cycle. Are are my GPA stats,

3.7 sGPA, 3.77 cGPA.
Should I take post-grad classes? or is this high enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, do you mean ''this cycle'' as in applying right now? Don't do that. It's way way way too late. Can you even start an app on AMCAS right now? Haha. If you mean for entering med school in 2017 then you are still fine.

If you want a lot of good information for applying and figuring out where you stand you should read this stickied thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/what-are-my-chances-read-before-asking.539268/ The important info for your question being:

''4) So what about my MDApplicants profile?

What are the general guidelines for success that we moderators are thinking about?

GPA -- Excellent 3.8+, Ok 3.6+
MCAT -- Excellent 36+, Ok 34+
Research Experience -- Excellent 4+ years, Ok 2+

If you fulfill all the ok categories but no excellent categories you are a borderline applicant in general. If you have all the excellent categories, you will likely get in, again as a rule of thumb. So if you have two oks and an excellent in one category? You're looking better.

Can you be below the ok level in one of these and still get in? It depends on just how far off you are. It will help tremendously if you have excellents in the others.''

So your GPA is Ok according to this. Whether you should improve in any category really depends on how well/bad you are in other categories. Given your GPA, if your mcat was 36+ and you have 3-4 years of research experience odd are that you will probably get it in. I highly recommend reading through the stickied threads, they have a lot of really helpful information!!

Please provide more information. Are you at a liberal arts college, R-1 university, or Ivy Plus? As a general rule, post-grad classes do not make much of a difference. (The exception being if you were a non-science major.)

Please provide more information. Are you at a liberal arts college, R-1 university, or Ivy Plus? As a general rule, post-grad classes do not make much of a difference. (The exception being if you were a non-science major.)

What do you mean by this? I was going to do post-bac classes in Psychology(b/c I am a science major and have not gotten the chance to really take any classes in this area). Would this considered to be fine?