? for current students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newquagmire

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When asked to select people I would like to interview with, what are your feelings about people in positions of power? I.e. assuming that I am actually interested in their work, should I preferably select directors of programs etc?

On the one hand, if you shine in the interview, their word will have that much more force. The same holds true if you choke -- in addition to whatever increase in anxiety results from knowing you're in the presence of a person determining your future...

Members don't see this ad.

Wherever you go you will have about 1-3 interviews that actually count. The rest will just be the typical interviews. You could request more people who are big shots at a program, but even then it's unlikely it will count any more than that interview with the program director or admissions director.

I would just go interview with who you like. The programs have a good idea of who they want before you interview anyways. From the conversations I've had, the interviews are most useful to give you an idea of what you want and to help weed out the rare specimen who is socially inept or something. The disclaimer here applies. This may not be true for all programs and you should still do your best at interviews. It can only help, especially if you tell them all how great they are and how you really want to go there. But, I'm not advocating that strategy :)

to echo what neuronix said - just interview with people whos work you find interesting or would be a good match for you. doing it any other way is uneccesarily setting yourself for a tougher time [but who knows- could be interesting].

even though neuronix put diclaimer on his statement about programs knowing who they want - i would like to emphasize the importance of the interview. some programs obviously do have some people in mind who really standout - but this certainly doesn't mean that if you are not one of them you are fated to a tougher sell. the programs also know that people who are great on paper could be very different in person, and many admissions decisions certainly reflect this. in my case, the interviews were where i felt i made up ground - without being officious. once you get to the interview, don't worry about deficincies you percieve in your own app [most of us tend to be overly self-critical anyway]- just relax a bit and be confident. given the number of people that apply, you earned your interview spot. an administrator at washU told me that the really do have a tough time choosing who should get an interview, and they would interview twice the number if possible; though this process is not arbitrary in general, it can be at times.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, my interviews at either of your schools (which are rather high on my "priorities" at the moment) haven't come through yet. Here's to hoping :)