For IMG residents who didn't do premed (e.g. European system, 7 yrs of med as a Bachelors Degree)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knightmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you get licensed?

I'm going through the Illinois licensure application, it says:

"In order to be considered for licensure in Illinois, an applicant must have completed a 6 year postsecondary course of study comprising of:
Preprofessional Education: 2-year course of instruction, in a liberal arts or medical college."

Then in the application, they want:

"An official transcript with school seal affixed verifying a minimum of 2 years liberal arts/pre-medical education...."

...well? Am I screwed?

Members don't see this ad.

Rather than asking us for our opinion, why not ask the Illinois licensing department and get the gold standard answer?

You can email them at- https://www.idfpr.com/PROFS/EMAIL/prfgrp05.asp
Or you can call them- http://www.idfpr.com/contact.asp

Either way, the answer you get from them will hold far more weight than any comments that you get through here. And you want the definitive answer before spending your money on a license application.

Any combined program is going to have the first couple years as pre-medical courses. Not sure what the problem is unless you've never taken Anatomy, Biochem, Organic Chemistry, etc...

Any combined program is going to have the first couple years as pre-medical courses. Not sure what the problem is unless you've never taken Anatomy, Biochem, Organic Chemistry, etc...
That's not what they're asking for here. They want... oh wait, liberal arts OR premed..... PHEW. ok good. Yeah we did two years of Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry and Histology....

On a tangentially-related topic, pre-med = BS. No one ever got a degree in "Pre-Med" so why do they answer they are doing Pre-Med when asked what they are studying? Aside from stroking their ego for their aspirations of possibly applying to med school in the future, I can think of no reason.

On a tangentially-related topic, pre-med = BS. No one ever got a degree in "Pre-Med" so why do they answer they are doing Pre-Med when asked what they are studying? Aside from stroking their ego for their aspirations of possibly applying to med school in the future, I can think of no reason.

I have a friend who got an actual BS degree in "Pre-Medicine." She's now a resident. So I guess that "major" does exist in some universities...