For non-trads struggling with the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mspeedwagon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

This post is very long (and targeted directly at those struggling with the MCAT). It has been a little while since I posted. Unfortunately, my struggles with the MCAT (and circumstances outside of my control such as my mom being very sick) are on-going, but I've started to slowly improve my score.

I've gotten several PMs from people struggling with the MCAT and I want to share some reviews of methods I've tried, which will hopefully help others. This is a long post and indirectly reviews Kaplan and NextStep (note, I think both companies can be a great resource, but you need to have an understanding of where you stand. Kaplan teaches content and NextStep is more strategy focused based on my experience).

This is my story thus far (and it is still being written). I'll be applying primarily to my state schools and osteopathic schools this cycle and am now optimistic I'll score 9s or 10s on each section (I've applied to a post-bac program at an osteopathic school as a back-up plan... a score in the low 20s should secure that). I know 9s and 10s are not high (especially by SDN standards), but as someone that is struggling with the test, I know the longing for seeing a double digit in a section (any section).

I took and re-took Kaplan. In hindsight, Kaplan was great (in-class NOT the virtual sessions), but I wasn't prepared for it. I had forgotten (or never properly learned) how to learn. I spent too much time on preview reading and not enough time going over my lesson book again and again to nail down key content and doing questions. The volume of information presented is overwhelming; however, the volume of key concepts you absolutely must know is not (I failed to differentiate one from the other). I scored relatively well on the diagnostic (9/10/4) and felt that was an indication I really should focus mostly on the bio section. If I could have done it all over, I would recommend taking AAMC 3 early on. My Kaplan scores were all over the place (low of 20 to a high of 29); however, my AAMCs were not (they were around a 20ish with every section hovering around 6 or 7 [verbal being the most unpredictable]).

Having read about many posters on here that devalued content, I focused on test taking skills. I became good at solving even hard MCAT problems when I had a strong content background. But, alas, I didn't have my content nailed down. I did well on topics I knew well, no matter how hard AAMC considered the question and poorly on questions where I didn't have content down even when the question was categorized as easy.

After failing twice to get a score increase with Kaplan, I opted to try NextStep. I felt a good tutor could help me along on my way. We could go over content one-on-one and he or she would quiz me to check on my progress (I was looking for hand holding and guidance, sort of like in elementary school). My hopes for such a tutor were quickly dashed. My tutor essentially told me to take an AAMC test every week (which, unsurprisingly showed roughly the same score every week), assigned EK chapters to read and asked me to bring questions to sessions. He never seemed prepped for our sessions (even though I'd email him in detail things I'd like to go over at least 24 hours in advance), seemed to belittle me for not knowing certain facts (rather than emphasizing I absolutely must know) and was clearly tutoring for the money. To make matters worse, he had no concept of what being a working professional meant (he seemed in a hurry to get his tutoring hours done rather than help me along with the test. He wanted to do back to back sessions a few days apart even when I tried to explain with my work schedule that meant I'd get limited time to do work in between making the pricey sessions pointless). Please note, NextStep is a great company overall in my experience dealing with them; however, I just had a negative experience with my tutor and given how much the sessions cost, really didn't want to try another one. Not all was negative, however, since it was from this experience a light bulb went off. I understood what I had done wrong all along. I realized I had forgotten how to learn.

And thus I found a way to finally increase my score: it turns out it is not magic. It is not fast. It doesn't involve studying 6 hours, 7 hours or 8 hours a day (counting the hours you study is pointless... focus on goals instead... for example, today I'll learn cellular respiration or today I'll learn about the kidney, or today I'll master acids/bases). There is no one that can really help you learn. There is no "good" advise (take all mine with a grain of salt). Only you know yourself and your limits. No one was able to tell me what I was doing wrong. I had to figure it out on my own. I finally did what I should have done all along. I downloaded the AAMC outlines, made sure I was familiar with all the content. I learned that I learn best by watching videos (youtube, Khan, Freelanceteacher were why I did so much better when I returned to the classroom in post-bac than I had as an undergrad... back when internet videos didn't exist [yes, there was that time]). I invested in Chad's videos (who basically walks you through the AAMC outlines at a very basic level), a 5-subject notebook (1 section for each subject and 1 for the AAMC exams), notecards and the PR Science Workbook and studied content. I stopped timing myself to make sure I first knew how to get questions right. If you can't do a passage right in 20 minutes, you certainly cannot do it better in 8. I worked to sharpen my content. And then I saw something that I hadn't seen since I started MCAT prep a year ago (my score, and confidence along with it, starting to slowly rise).

I'm still in the score rising phase (it has been nice to see 8s and 9s as opposed to 6s and 7s and I know I'm en route to 10s, which has make me more excited to study rather than the frustration that plagued my studying thus far). I'm still working on the AAMC outlines and getting practice in to sharpen content. Soon, I'll switch to speed to ensure both content and speed. It took me a lot of time and money to figure out what I did wrong. If I were to do it all again, I'd just invest in a set of MCAT books (any set you find easy to read... no set is better than the other... I read Kaplan / PR / EK and BR... they all teach the same content and be sure to avoid suffering from the disease of switching books because one may be better than another (I know the feeling all too well)). What is more important than what set of book is how well you retain it. I read BR bio and it went into so much depth I didn't retain anything after reading a chapter... EK supplemented with youtube worked better for me. Once you identify a book you like, stick with it. No good comes of changing books repeatedly). And most importantly DOWNLOAD THE CONTENT OUTLINE. If there are shaky areas, youtube is your friend. Until you are scoring a 10, you don't know content as well as you think you do. Go back and review (the only exception to this might be on the PS where basic math skills or working fast might be to blame. You'll know if this is the case pretty quickly when you post-phrase an exam).

Hopefully most of the SDN community never needs this post. And, all of you ace the MCAT. But, if you do, I hope this detailed review helps you know that not all of us were born geniuses scoring a 30 on our diagnostic (or with ease after a few weeks of studying). Some of us are struggling to get there. Good luck to you all (especially, you non-trads in your 30s, 40s and beyond who have come back to fulfill a calling you had written off years earlier). God Bless!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Thanks for posting this. I'm about to start studying for the MCATs this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

After failing twice to get a score increase with Kaplan, I opted to try NextStep. I felt a good tutor could help me along on my way. We could go over content one-on-one and he or she would quiz me to check on my progress (I was looking for hand holding and guidance, sort of like in elementary school). My hopes for such a tutor were quickly dashed. My tutor essentially told me to take an AAMC test every week (which, unsurprisingly showed roughly the same score every week), assigned EK chapters to read and asked me to bring questions to sessions. He never seemed prepped for our sessions (even though I'd email him in detail things I'd like to go over at least 24 hours in advance), seemed to belittle me for not knowing certain facts (rather than emphasizing I absolutely must know) and was clearly tutoring for the money. To make matters worse, he had no concept of what being a working professional meant (he seemed in a hurry to get his tutoring hours done rather than help me along with the test. He wanted to do back to back sessions a few days apart even when I tried to explain with my work schedule that meant I'd get limited time to do work in between making the pricey sessions pointless).

This is surprising and disappointing to hear about NextStep Prep. I am happy you gathered yourself and are on the right path now, but that sounds like unacceptable behavior from a one on one tutor. Especially from a tutor that you are paying several thousands of dollars to be with! @Next Step Tutor and @NextStepTutor_2 post on this forum semi-frequently (they have their own subsection). Perhaps you could talk to them about having additional [free] sessions with a different tutor.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with us. We do our absolute best to ensure that every student gets the help they need. In this case, we clearly didn't do that. We have a number of procedures in place to ameliorate any problems, but when those procedures fail, it's on us. We offer a free hour to work with another tutor if you're not happy with your current tutor. That offer is still open if you'd like to come back.

You can always contact me directly with any further questions or concerns.

I wish you the best of luck with your continued prep.

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately, I am currently helping my mom, but will PM you directly to give you another try at least for a session to see if another person works better once I have more availability.

As I said above, for the most part your company has been a pleasure to deal with. I do have a few suggestions based on my experience.
- I'd recommend a survey brief survey sent to students after their second session (I did get an e-mail the other day asking me two things I liked and didn't like about my tutor, but I was hard pressed to come up with the latter). A rating survey (1-10 in various areas) along with comments (maybe even ask students how likely they are to continue based on their tutoring experience thus far) would likely be more helpful.
- Ensure that the person assigned to tutor people who are scoring in the low 20s has experience working with them. My tutor knew that MCAT (that clearly showed). What he didn't know was how to help someone bring their score up. I think he'd do a great job of getting someone from a high 20 into the mid-30s. He didn't seem to relate to someone scoring low on sections (How can someone score a 6 or 7 seemed to be an implication. I wished he'd taken 15-20 mins to look over the tests and the questions types I was getting wrong) and prepare a brief lesson on areas of weakness.
- That Next Step create some basic content slides and quizzes (my tutor focused on Q&A, but I didn't know what to ask and my instructor didn't have anything prepped). Even having images up from the EK book and asking students to explain them would be helpful. Students like me (people who have been out of school for a while) have a hard time gauging our own learning. Sometimes I'll read something and feel I know it, BUT when asked questions about it, it's clear my understanding is shallow.
- An understanding among you tutors regarding the difference between trads (I can dedicate 10 hrs a day to studying all summer) to non-trads (I study for a few hrs at night after work and have more time on weekends, but also have a full life as well).

I thank you for you response and hope you find some of my suggestions helpful. Like I said, I had a positive experience dealing with Next Step as a company (tutor was assigned quickly, Rachel was responsive and refund was processed immediately when requested). It's just unfortunate there was a disconnect between me tutor and me.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with us. We do our absolute best to ensure that every student gets the help they need. In this case, we clearly didn't do that. We have a number of procedures in place to ameliorate any problems, but when those procedures fail, it's on us. We offer a free hour to work with another tutor if you're not happy with your current tutor. That offer is still open if you'd like to come back.

You can always contact me directly with any further questions or concerns.

I wish you the best of luck with your continued prep.

Last edited:
I thought my studying was organized before because I'm following the right books , but boy was I wrong. I'm taking your advice on strictly following the outline and trying out Chad's. I'm loving it so far and it's definitely helping me on my weakness which is PS!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm mainly focusing on the SUNY schools here in NY and several osteopathic schools. I've contacted all schools I'm interested in and they are all going to continue to accept the MCAT for 3 years. I also don't mind having to prep for the 2015 MCAT if I have to (granted, if I can avoid it, I will).

I didn't get a chance to read the entire OP, but if you are working on the 2014 MCAT, you might want to read this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/is-the-2014-mcat-still-good-for-3-years.1084691/

Hopefully, it's not as bad as it seems so far.

Thanks for your post...I started my study schedule this past week, and it looks like in order to give myself the best shot, I'm gonna have to take the MCAT by January 2015. This makes me really nervous. I'm 28, and I have 3 kids - 8 years old, 2 years old, and 3 months.

I have a task ahead of me and right now I feel so overwhelmed. I really wish I could find someone to study with me. It's so hard when ur a non-trad and feel so disconnected.

Thanks for your post...I started my study schedule this past week, and it looks like in order to give myself the best shot, I'm gonna have to take the MCAT by January 2015. This makes me really nervous. I'm 28, and I have 3 kids - 8 years old, 2 years old, and 3 months.

I have a task ahead of me and right now I feel so overwhelmed. I really wish I could find someone to study with me. It's so hard when ur a non-trad and feel so disconnected.

This is my life right now. Non trad (no kids or anything and 2 years out of undergrad), I've completely forgotten how to study, haven't touched this material in ages and everything is overwhelming! I've decided not to rush. Several posters here have expressed that ONE great application cycle is preferable over several attempts. So, instead of rushing myself and possibly having to retake several times, I'll simply postpone my MCAT if I don't feel prepared by my test date. :) No rush! I mean I've waited this long, I can wait a little longer right? Hehe ^^v Good luck all!

What an excellent post!

Last edited:
I just wanted to add to this thread. I took AAMC 7 today (8/2/14) and scored a 27 (9/9/9). With one month to go to my test date, a 30 is slowly looking like a fairly realistic goal.

With a rising score, studying for the MCAT has become a much more exciting endeavor. Good luck all!

I just wanted to add to this thread. I took AAMC 7 today (8/2/14) and scored a 27 (9/9/9). With one month to go to my test date, a 30 is slowly looking like a fairly realistic goal.

With a rising score, studying for the MCAT has become a much more exciting endeavor. Good luck all!
This post was what I needed to read. I started my Kaplan course last week (onsite) and I felt overwhelmed from day 1. I have all the books and I switched them out almost everyday and it frustrated me even more. I have pushed my MCAT test date to Oct. 25 and I'm hoping to boost my score like you did. Thanks for the information. God Bless and good luck!

Hi All,

This post is very long (and targeted directly at those struggling with the MCAT). It has been a little while since I posted. Unfortunately, my struggles with the MCAT (and circumstances outside of my control such as my mom being very sick) are on-going, but I've started to slowly improve my score.

I've gotten several PMs from people struggling with the MCAT and I want to share some reviews of methods I've tried, which will hopefully help others. This is a long post and indirectly reviews Kaplan and NextStep (note, I think both companies can be a great resource, but you need to have an understanding of where you stand. Kaplan teaches content and NextStep is more strategy focused based on my experience).

This is my story thus far (and it is still being written). I'll be applying primarily to my state schools and osteopathic schools this cycle and am now optimistic I'll score 9s or 10s on each section (I've applied to a post-bac program at an osteopathic school as a back-up plan... a score in the low 20s should secure that). I know 9s and 10s are not high (especially by SDN standards), but as someone that is struggling with the test, I know the longing for seeing a double digit in a section (any section).

I took and re-took Kaplan. In hindsight, Kaplan was great (in-class NOT the virtual sessions), but I wasn't prepared for it. I had forgotten (or never properly learned) how to learn. I spent too much time on preview reading and not enough time going over my lesson book again and again to nail down key content and doing questions. The volume of information presented is overwhelming; however, the volume of key concepts you absolutely must know is not (I failed to differentiate one from the other). I scored relatively well on the diagnostic (9/10/4) and felt that was an indication I really should focus mostly on the bio section. If I could have done it all over, I would recommend taking AAMC 3 early on. My Kaplan scores were all over the place (low of 20 to a high of 29); however, my AAMCs were not (they were around a 20ish with every section hovering around 6 or 7 [verbal being the most unpredictable]).

Having read about many posters on here that devalued content, I focused on test taking skills. I became good at solving even hard MCAT problems when I had a strong content background. But, alas, I didn't have my content nailed down. I did well on topics I knew well, no matter how hard AAMC considered the question and poorly on questions where I didn't have content down even when the question was categorized as easy.

After failing twice to get a score increase with Kaplan, I opted to try NextStep. I felt a good tutor could help me along on my way. We could go over content one-on-one and he or she would quiz me to check on my progress (I was looking for hand holding and guidance, sort of like in elementary school). My hopes for such a tutor were quickly dashed. My tutor essentially told me to take an AAMC test every week (which, unsurprisingly showed roughly the same score every week), assigned EK chapters to read and asked me to bring questions to sessions. He never seemed prepped for our sessions (even though I'd email him in detail things I'd like to go over at least 24 hours in advance), seemed to belittle me for not knowing certain facts (rather than emphasizing I absolutely must know) and was clearly tutoring for the money. To make matters worse, he had no concept of what being a working professional meant (he seemed in a hurry to get his tutoring hours done rather than help me along with the test. He wanted to do back to back sessions a few days apart even when I tried to explain with my work schedule that meant I'd get limited time to do work in between making the pricey sessions pointless). Please note, NextStep is a great company overall in my experience dealing with them; however, I just had a negative experience with my tutor and given how much the sessions cost, really didn't want to try another one. Not all was negative, however, since it was from this experience a light bulb went off. I understood what I had done wrong all along. I realized I had forgotten how to learn.

And thus I found a way to finally increase my score: it turns out it is not magic. It is not fast. It doesn't involve studying 6 hours, 7 hours or 8 hours a day (counting the hours you study is pointless... focus on goals instead... for example, today I'll learn cellular respiration or today I'll learn about the kidney, or today I'll master acids/bases). There is no one that can really help you learn. There is no "good" advise (take all mine with a grain of salt). Only you know yourself and your limits. No one was able to tell me what I was doing wrong. I had to figure it out on my own. I finally did what I should have done all along. I downloaded the AAMC outlines, made sure I was familiar with all the content. I learned that I learn best by watching videos (youtube, Khan, Freelanceteacher were why I did so much better when I returned to the classroom in post-bac than I had as an undergrad... back when internet videos didn't exist [yes, there was that time]). I invested in Chad's videos (who basically walks you through the AAMC outlines at a very basic level), a 5-subject notebook (1 section for each subject and 1 for the AAMC exams), notecards and the PR Science Workbook and studied content. I stopped timing myself to make sure I first knew how to get questions right. If you can't do a passage right in 20 minutes, you certainly cannot do it better in 8. I worked to sharpen my content. And then I saw something that I hadn't seen since I started MCAT prep a year ago (my score, and confidence along with it, starting to slowly rise).

I'm still in the score rising phase (it has been nice to see 8s and 9s as opposed to 6s and 7s and I know I'm en route to 10s, which has make me more excited to study rather than the frustration that plagued my studying thus far). I'm still working on the AAMC outlines and getting practice in to sharpen content. Soon, I'll switch to speed to ensure both content and speed. It took me a lot of time and money to figure out what I did wrong. If I were to do it all again, I'd just invest in a set of MCAT books (any set you find easy to read... no set is better than the other... I read Kaplan / PR / EK and BR... they all teach the same content and be sure to avoid suffering from the disease of switching books because one may be better than another (I know the feeling all too well)). What is more important than what set of book is how well you retain it. I read BR bio and it went into so much depth I didn't retain anything after reading a chapter... EK supplemented with youtube worked better for me. Once you identify a book you like, stick with it. No good comes of changing books repeatedly). And most importantly DOWNLOAD THE CONTENT OUTLINE. If there are shaky areas, youtube is your friend. Until you are scoring a 10, you don't know content as well as you think you do. Go back and review (the only exception to this might be on the PS where basic math skills or working fast might be to blame. You'll know if this is the case pretty quickly when you post-phrase an exam).

Hopefully most of the SDN community never needs this post. And, all of you ace the MCAT. But, if you do, I hope this detailed review helps you know that not all of us were born geniuses scoring a 30 on our diagnostic (or with ease after a few weeks of studying). Some of us are struggling to get there. Good luck to you all (especially, you non-trads in your 30s, 40s and beyond who have come back to fulfill a calling you had written off years earlier). God Bless!

Thanks for your informative post! Did you find Chad's videos too basic for the content expected? They are good but I wonder if they are not very useful when it comes to what is tested..

Depends what you are aiming for (27-30 or 35+). I think Chad is excellent for those struggling in the low 20s that want to hit the high 20s. It re-builds the basic foundation that you may have forgotten and can get you up to 9s and 10s in PS and possibly BS. You are obviously going to have to look elsewhere for verbal.

That said, if you are aiming for a 35+ (11/12s on each section), I DO NOT think Chad get you there. I also think Chad is NOT stand alone. He needs to be used in conjunction with working MCAT style problems.

Thanks for your informative post! Did you find Chad's videos too basic for the content expected? They are good but I wonder if they are not very useful when it comes to what is tested..

That said, if you are aiming for a 35+ (11/12s on each section), I DO NOT think Chad get you there. I also think Chad is NOT stand alone. He needs to be used in conjunction with working MCAT style problems.
I this this goes for any resource out there. From every person I've spoken to, who've scored between high 30's and mid-20's, the consensus is that practice exams are where you make your gains. The content review materials are there to reinforce the concepts, build tricks to solve calculations, and show you what you'll need to memorize. Everything else comes down to practice and careful review of mistakes. If you find holes in your conceptual understanding, go back to your review materials and shore it up. If your using Chad's videos, go back to the specific lecture and take the associated quizzes. If that's not enough, you should have some printed materials on hand like BR or EK. I even reference textbooks that provide a several page explanation and multiple examples for just about every concept.

As far as the breakdown of time spent on preparation, mine is proportioned for 25% content review, 75% practice including an extremely thorough review of mistakes made. Of that 75% practice, it's probably 25% testing, 75% question review.. My strategy is quite OCD, but since I'm unlikely to see any question ever again, I want to make sure that I have the concept(s) tested down pat, so that any question testing that concept in the future is a lay-up. I've made a spreadsheet in excel for every practice problem missed. I type the question; type my answer, type in correct answer with the provided explanation, then have a column for the concepts and/or equation tested and write out a narative of the explanation as if I were teaching it to someone else. It works.

It was so great to read this post! I was (am?) literally in the same spot. I was working full-time, taking classes and have been studying on and off for the MCAT for years. Literally, I bought my first AAMC exam4 in 2009. Now I'm hopefully going to do well enough on it in a few weeks. Since the content has changed, I 've studied alot of the psychology, but I had forgotten how to learn and really absorb the material. In highschool I had a tough life, so when I ran away from home at a young age, I didn't have the chance to study or go to college: I was in survival mode. My undergrad, I feel like I am the master of MC non-passage questions, but I went to large state university where reading and writing was not frequent in classes, especially sciences. Needless to say, I felt like I was in 7th grade again when I started to realize that I wasn't comprehending well. In 2009 I got a 13 on my practice MCAT, and that scared the pants off me because I was getting As in college.

I started to read anything that was interesting. Then, I started to outline whatever I was reading - ads, signs, websites, blips, editorials, I was and am a read-aholic now. Eventually, I took the time to go over why I was getting the answers wrong. I took TPR class in person, which was useful but not great. This may have been my own fault by not making enough time for it. I have all the BR old books and EK question books. I have taken a Kaplan class 2x renewed online as well. I thought the Kaplan exams were good. I have taken all the AAMC old exams (with Kaplan package). I have registered to take the exam 2 times, but within those 2 times I've pushed back my date several times. I voided those two times I sat. At first I had this horrible test anxiety, but have also learned stress management by doing some cardio the day before, drinking enough water before bed, and eating a balanced breakfast, not all carbs to avoid that sugar crash. I know taking the new exam is rough. Its like a full day's work. The practice exams are rough.

Your post so validates my struggles as well. From survival mode to actually learn again, it feels great. I'm glad its late, rather than never. Even if I don't score a magic 510+, I will just be glad I've sat and taken the exam the best I am able to right now, but continue learning and bettering my skills. This post was great. Thanks!

Since I always read old posts and wonder what happened to the OP, I should offer a quick update. I fell a bit shy of my 30 target, but still interviewed at several MD and DO schools. I am currently sitting on several DO acceptances (really struggled with MMIs that MD schools I interviewed at used.. oh well). If nothing changes (i.e. no scholarship from PCOM or Touro-NV), I'll be at a DO school in FL come fall. Recently turned down ATSU-KCOM (really liked the school, but couldn't imagine life in Kirksvile). Good luck to all with the MCAT. Keep at it and remember it's only part of your application (albeit, an important part)!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
congrats mspeedwagon, hoping I will get to post a similar update next fall

Reactions: 1 users
congrats mspeedwagon, hoping I will get to post a similar update next fall
Me too! Thanks for the update. I'm sure you will make the best decision for you...all that verbal introspection has to be good for something =)