for past Gtown SMP students: ques about interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstylee

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

it seems like people currently in the program are getting invitations in big batches to schools like drexel and nymc and it seems like a bunch of GWs too. do you remember if schools that interviewed lots of SMPers tended to send invites out all at once? i feel like i'm the only person who doesn't have an invite from nymc. i'm kind of confused cause i interviewed there last year and i've done well this fall semester. i liked the school a lot last year and also i'm starting to feel a little unsettled having had more interviews last year (doesn't make much sense to me at the moment).

lemme know what you think. thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

medstylee said:
hey guys,

it seems like people currently in the program are getting invitations in big batches to schools like drexel and nymc and it seems like a bunch of GWs too. do you remember if schools that interviewed lots of SMPers tended to send invites out all at once? i feel like i'm the only person who doesn't have an invite from nymc. i'm kind of confused cause i interviewed there last year and i've done well this fall semester. i liked the school a lot last year and also i'm starting to feel a little unsettled having had more interviews last year (doesn't make much sense to me at the moment).

don't stress; people in my class got interviews to nymc throughout the school year; not till the end of the school year; but it wasn't in one batch

ah, the crapshoot and waiting game.....it can be pure hell when its your 2nd go around and you're deep into the mire of working your ass off in the physio programe-god knows I know about that-those schools you mentioned interview for a looong time however, and remember that some people hear from gtown two days before class in aug-just try to enjoy some Haramati urinary wisdom mixed with some liver rounds and a little of the shermanators sageness if you can-also, breathe and take some xanax if you like. and the acceptances will feel so, so sweet when they finally come

Members don't see this ad :)
medstylee said:
hey guys,

yeah, i missed the drexel and NYMC batches too :/

I'm not sure if they really came in batches, just dont fret if you "miss a batch". They really came in randomly all semester from the "big three" (slu, nymc, drexel). The reason it seems to come in batches is b/c they hold your app until your grades/letters come from the program.

sounds good - thanks for the input, guys. i contacted nymc and they said that my file was going to be reviewed, so i guess they just haven't gotten to it yet. so, no sweat! hope med school is going well for you all.

btw, exmike, i was recently in cleveland for an interview and i stayed with my good friend from undergrad who is now a first year with you at case. i only met three of your fellow classmates, but it seems like they are a lot less stressed and are enjoying school a lot more than the first years i've met at georgetown. case sounds like a great place.

NYMC I remember invited people to interview up through April. As an SMP student last year I didn't get an invite from them until the end of February... and there were friends of mine who had invites even later than that, so you still have time - granted I was one of the few SMPers who actually got waitlisted by them... Anyhow, I know many kids who interviewed there well into March who were accepted.

The waiting can be excrutiating I remember.... but if worse come to worse you can reapply. Even if you end up not getting in this year, the program the program will still prove to be very useful in reappication. (retaking the MCAT August after finishing the SMP was a breeze) Things are a heck of a lot easier the second time around.

dbpatto said:
NYMC I remember invited people to interview up through April. As an SMP student last year I didn't get an invite from them until the end of February... and there were friends of mine who had invites even later than that, so you still have time - granted I was one of the few SMPers who actually got waitlisted by them... Anyhow, I know many kids who interviewed there well into March who were accepted.

The waiting can be excrutiating I remember.... but if worse come to worse you can reapply. Even if you end up not getting in this year, the program the program will still prove to be very useful in reappication. (retaking the MCAT August after finishing the SMP was a breeze) Things are a heck of a lot easier the second time around.

so nymc ends up accepting a lot of the SMPers who interview? i heard from the admissions director that they have around 10 or 11 ex-physios in their first year class - that's pretty huge! in any case, this IS my second time around and i actually have taken the MCAT over (went from 29-->33), so hopefully my second go will be as successful as your second go. thanks again for the reassurance, dbpatto. good luck at school next year man. :thumbup:

guys,
thanks for the help so far. i had a question about a waitlist situation. if you knew people in smp who were trying real hard to get off certain waitlists, do you think they were able to get additional letters from peopel like drs. myers, mulroney, or sherman? since my advisor already sent a letter to this school, i think it would be redundant to have her send another. do you think there are any other resources from this program (aside from sending grades) that could help me in this situation? thanks again.

medstylee said:
so nymc ends up accepting a lot of the SMPers who interview? i heard from the admissions director that they have around 10 or 11 ex-physios in their first year class - that's pretty huge! in any case, this IS my second time around and i actually have taken the MCAT over (went from 29-->33), so hopefully my second go will be as successful as your second go. thanks again for the reassurance, dbpatto. good luck at school next year man. :thumbup:

off the top of my head i can think of four or so kids at NYMC from last year, and there are sure to be more. And thats just the ones that went there, who knows how many others actually got accepted.

medstylee. i love case, its an awesome school. Have any SMPers come through here this year? A guy from my class last year interviewed here way back in september.

exmike said:
off the top of my head i can think of four or so kids at NYMC from last year, and there are sure to be more. And thats just the ones that went there, who knows how many others actually got accepted.

medstylee. i love case, its an awesome school. Have any SMPers come through here this year? A guy from my class last year interviewed here way back in september.

mike - not that i know of. i was actually just waitlisted by the cclcm program and i'm dying to get in. i know it's the right program for me. that was theh school i was referring to in my last post, by the way. also, lemme know if you know my friend brandon. i'm sure you prob do. he was my roommate last year (at northwestern) and now he's one of your fellow first years at case. i stayed with him a few weeks ago when i had my cclcm.
take it easy.

edit: oh, and by the way, i know that there are either 10 or 11 ex-physios in nymc first year class this year.. that is what the admissions director at nymc told me and i think that's what they told us during the smp orientation. pretty damn receptive!