for people who got into med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalake says

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys, i was wondering...what were your undergraduate majors, gpa's, and mcat scores? i'm thinking of going into osteopathic medicine. currently, i'm a junior in college doing biochem with an overall gpa of 3.44. also, can any of you guys recommend any good schools that i might be able to get into with my stats so far? thanks guys, any kind of response is greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

hi guys, i was wondering...what were your undergraduate majors, gpa's, and mcat scores? i'm thinking of going into osteopathic medicine. currently, i'm a junior in college doing biochem with an overall gpa of 3.44. also, can any of you guys recommend any good schools that i might be able to get into with my stats so far? thanks guys, any kind of response is greatly appreciated! :)

Undergraduate major: Biological Sciences
Overall G.P.A: 3.39
Science G.P.A: 3.42
Non-Science G.P.A: 3.34
MCAT: 24O

what schools you have a chance at depends somewhat on your MCAT.

Your GPA is good from what we can see now. MCAT score will determine your future as the above poster noted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was an Exercise and Health Science major with a Chemistry minor.
Overall GPA: 3.52
Science GPA: 3.55
Non-Science GPA: 3.44
MCAT: 28Q

Got into every osteopathic school that I applied to.

Computer Science/ B.A , IS/M.S.
2 Minors: Internet Technology, Physical Chemistry
MCAT:27P
GPA:3.7 undegrad and 3.76 grad

Overall GPA - 3.81
Science GPA- 3.72
MCAT: 25

BA in biology
3.2 overall
3.0 science
23Q (10VR, 6PS, 7BS)

Your GPA sounds good. What about ECs? They are really important with the osteopathic schools. Your MCAT score will also factor into the equation. Best of luck to you!:luck: :luck: :luck:

Somewhere around 3.2 overall, 3.0 BCPM...4.0 in my retake of Chem II and taking ORG I and II for the first time...as a non-trad.

MCAT was 8,8,8,T. That was fun to take without having any physics or bio in almost 10 years. :) Not sure what happened on Verbal as on the real thing was the first time I didn't finish all passages...and had been getting 9's and above pretty consistently.

Cancer survivor and other "life experience".

Major: Mechanical Engineering
Science and Cumulative GPA: 3.0
MCAT: 28N

Accepted: DCOM, LECOM-E
Waitlisted: CCOM

Your GPA sounds good. What about ECs? They are really important with the osteopathic schools. Your MCAT score will also factor into the equation. Best of luck to you!:luck: :luck: :luck:

I agree with the above.

what were your undergraduate majors, gpa's, and mcat scores?

My stats:

Major: BS in Biological Sciences, concentration in Neurobiology/Physiology
Science and Cumulative UGPA: 3.4 (4.0 for post-baccalaureate work)
MCAT: 28P (09 VR, 07 PS, 12 BS)

I took a very non-traditional path to get to where I am now. I graduated college about 10 years ago with lots of undergraduate biomedical research experience, but went on to do and learn quite a few things. I eventually became a wellness coach and yoga/martial arts teacher before finally deciding to become a physician. I just turned 34 and will be a first year medical student at KCUMB starting this fall. I fell in love with everything at KCUMB during my interview and my gut told me in no uncertain terms that I would be happy there.

In terms of where to apply, the advice people seemed to consistantly give me was to apply very broadly, to all the places that I thought I'd attend and could live in geographically. Of course you may want to factor in the average GPA and MCAT score of these schools as well as the individual focuses and mission statements to help you decide where you want to apply.

Oh yeah, apply EARLY in the cycle, if possible. The early bird is more likely to get the worm of his choice in this process. I was lucky, however. I applied fairly late (in November), but somehow managed to get three interviews, two of which I attended, and ended up with an acceptance to an awesome school, one that I really love.

Good luck!

there seems to be a nice variance in GPA etc, I guess your secondary + interviews etc do count in the admission process. I would imagine canidates which seem sub par on paper, can really shine in the interview process and get iin, or maybe its just the economics of running an osteopathic medschool.

Members don't see this ad :)
there seems to be a nice variance in GPA etc, I guess your secondary + interviews etc do count in the admission process. I would imagine canidates which seem sub par on paper, can really shine in the interview process and get iin, or maybe its just the economics of running an osteopathic medschool.[/QUOTE]

All medical schools have an unbelievable amount of applicants. They do not have to admit people just to make money.

there seems to be a nice variance in GPA etc, I guess your secondary + interviews etc do count in the admission process. I would imagine canidates which seem sub par on paper, can really shine in the interview process and get iin, or maybe its just the economics of running an osteopathic medschool.

Or the other way around....there's no rule that says someone with a good MCAT and GPA is guaranteed a spot. The interview can put you over the hump, but it can also make you fall off the cliff!

Just my opinion.

Major: Biology
Overall GPA: 3.85
Science GPA: 3.85
MCAT: 25M (8BS, 8PS, 9VR)

Or the other way around....there's no rule that says someone with a good MCAT and GPA is guaranteed a spot. The interview can put you over the hump, but it can also make you fall off the cliff!

Just my opinion.

That is very true. I spoke with the director of admissions at a school and there was an applicant with a 3.8 and 34 MCAT who didn't get accepted to any schools. She said that the poor guy was like a "deer caught in the headlights" at his interviews. So, there are definitely no guarantees in this process. We can all just do our best and hope that it all works out.

Neuroscience & behavior major, 3.2 science GPA, 3.5 overall, 24R MCAT. I applied to 12 osteopathic schools and got interviews and acceptances from 7 of them. Haven't heard from most of the rest!

B.S. in Biomedical Sciences
-3.81 GPA
-28Q MCAT
-a list of EC's longer than my arm and consistent with my entire UG career
-Accepted to CCOM, PCOM, MSU-COM, and Erie PA. Only DO school I got no love from was NYCOM

2.9 GPA
29P MCAT

Accepted to DCOM, waitlisted at LECOM and UMDNJ

I think if your MCAT is low, GPA needs be high, and vice versa. And you need to nail the interview too. If you score well on the MCAT, then you should do well in the process. Good luck.

Should this be a stickie?

Overall GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.85
MCAT: 29O (PS 11, VR 7, BS 11)
Applied only to TCOM, and was accepted

Biology major here. But yeah, verbal kicked my ass for some reason. I ran out of time and had to randomly guess for the last 2 passages. Suck. But that doesn't matter much anymore...

Major- Liberal Arts, with a post-bac in pre-medical sciences
AACOMAS GPA- 3.71
Science GPA- 3.65
MCAT- 32M

B.S. in Biomedical Sciences
-3.81 GPA
-28Q MCAT
-a list of EC's longer than my arm and consistent with my entire UG career
-Accepted to CCOM, PCOM, MSU-COM, and Erie PA. Only DO school I got no love from was NYCOM

Wow, I can't believe you didn't get accepted to NYCOM!? What state are you from? When did you apply and did you get an interview? You deserved to get in, and congrats on your other acceptances.

overall gpa 3.4
science: 3.3
mcat: 34M

Overall: 3.4
Science: 3.6 (post bac program)
MCAT: 28 Q
Psych major, Soc minor, over 4 years Psych related experiences.

My advice? Apply early. I applied late and I feel that my stats and experience, EC's, LOR were pretty good, but I got no love from my first choice (PCOM).

I majored in biology.

Overall GPA - 3.75

Science GPA - 3.62

MCAT - 31R (11VR, 9 PS, and 11 BS)

Undergraduate Major: Biology-Economics
Overall GPA: 3.42
MCAT: 27
Accepted to: TUCOM, TCOM (chose TCOM)

Undergrad Major: Biochemistry
Overall GPA: 3.6
BCPM GPA: 3.5
MCAT: I took it 3 x, first was 23, then 29, then 26, but if you took my highest score from each section, it was a 32.
Accepted: DMU, NYCOM, LECOM, NSUCOM, UNECOM, and declined interviews at LECOM-B, West Virginia, and one other I think.

Science GPA: 2.9
Overall GPA: 3.1
(Includes undergrad and grad)
MCAT: 34R
EC: Worked in Osteopathic Clinic (1.5 yrs) and hospital (4.5)

Accepted: ATSU-SOMA
Waitlisted: Touro-NV, Western

(Was not offered an interview at Touro-CA due to low Science GPA in prereq's.)

Applied late (Secondaries done in January.)
Apply Early! :thumbup:

Major: Psychobiology

Overall- 3.35
Science- 3.28

MCAT 29

After I finished at UCLA I applied to many schools and didn't get in (this was two years ago). I took some post-bac classes at a state school where I lived, got involved in research on Coccidioidomycosis, took the MCAT again, and applied early this time. No interviews at MD schools, applied to Touro-CA, Western, and Touro-NV, got into all of them. Chose Touro-NV

give up now. hopeless.