For-profit hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So obviously there has been a lot of drubbing of deceased equines on SDN over the issue of for-profit schools, and I don't want to get into that. My question is, are for-profit hospitals controversial in the healthcare industry the way for-profit schools are in education?

Obviously, if you do a residency at a for-profit hospital then you're time there would count toward PSLF, but are there drawbacks other than that? Is there more of a big-corporation culture in for-profit hospitals than in not-for profits? How do for-profit hospitals compete with non-profits that aren't really taxed the same way? My instinct is that 'non-profit' hospitals are just as concerned with cost-cutting as for-profits, and that it doesn't make much of a difference in workplace culture or in the type of pressure you get to practice in a cost-cutting type way, but I was wondering if anyone with more experience than I have could provide some insight.

Edit: most physician's solo and group practices are for-profit, right, just like any busines, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Like it or not, for-profit hospitals are a player in our healthcare delivery system. The ones I've seen were rather nice places to work, but they didn't seem to like uninsured people very much. As far as cost-cutting, some nonprofits can be just as ruthless, and their execs are pretty well compensated:
http://www.wsmv.com/story/23364976/vanderbilt-medical-center-to-have-nurses-cleaning-up
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-14/u-s-nonprofit-hospital-ceo-annual-pay-averages-600-000.html

Yes, most private practices are for-profit.

If you want to see stats, go to http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/lists/

Members don't see this ad :)
The big thing to remember is that non-profit has just as many over paid administrative paper pushing unnecessary jobs as for profit. A non-profit hospital near me pays an advertising consultant 300k per year for part time. Many non-profit groups are like this, the company makes plenty, bloated salary for the people at the top, and unnecessary positions given to friends/family.

So obviously there has been a lot of drubbing of deceased equines on SDN over the issue of for-profit schools, and I don't want to get into that. My question is, are for-profit hospitals controversial in the healthcare industry the way for-profit schools are in education?

Obviously, if you do a residency at a for-profit hospital then you're time there would count toward PSLF, but are there drawbacks other than that? Is there more of a big-corporation culture in for-profit hospitals than in not-for profits? How do for-profit hospitals compete with non-profits that aren't really taxed the same way? My instinct is that 'non-profit' hospitals are just as concerned with cost-cutting as for-profits, and that it doesn't make much of a difference in workplace culture or in the type of pressure you get to practice in a cost-cutting type way, but I was wondering if anyone with more experience than I have could provide some insight.

Edit: most physician's solo and group practices are for-profit, right, just like any busines, right?

In healthcare, the difference between "for-profit" and "not-for-profit" is just a matter of tax paperwork. Both need to make money to run, it just comes down to where those profits are spent.

Reactions: 2 users
In healthcare, the difference between "for-profit" and "not-for-profit" is just a matter of tax paperwork. Both need to make money to run, it just comes down to where those profits are spent.

This

Profit/Non-profit is simply a tax status and has implications on how a business is internally structured and that's about it. It has nothing to do with morals/goals/mission or ethics (with some exception).