For the dental schools that require microbiology, do they only require 4 credit hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ollivander

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The university I'm contemplating taking microbiology at in a summer semester offers both Microbiology I and Microbiology II in mini-term summer semesters. Both are each 4 credit hours (and include labs). Do I need Microbiology II for dental school, or will I be fine with most places I apply with only taking the first portion? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school requires 4 hrs I believe and I just took the lecture course without the lab for 3 hrs and they said it would suffice. Definitely wouldn't take the second one unless you just really loved micro, which it sounds like you probably don't like it THAT much (and who can blame you, it's a tough class).

Some schools have strange requirements. UW requires 6 quarter credits of Micro. They offer a 3 quarter credit course in the fall and a 3 quarter credit course in the winter. I took a 6 quarter credit class at a community college. It was 5 hours of lecture and 2 hours of lab per week. According to UW though, this class won't satisfy their prereq. They want the course to be divided into two, just like the courses they offer. Same goes for physics. UW physics courses are 4 credits each each. I took 2 6 credit courses at the CC, so 12 credits in total. UW said I need to take another course since it wasn't three quarters of physics. To me that makes no sense