For the love of God, please chance me...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankpak786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I took my DAT last week, posted quite a few times with a breakdown... yet haven't received more than 1 response :(
I am a rising senior (class of '15) and although I submitted my app. in June, it will be complete in 2-3 weeks, whenever DAT scores upload.
State of Residency: New York

DAT Scores:
Perceptual Ability: 19
QR: 18
Reading Comp: 22
Biology: 20
Gen. Chem: 22
Orgo: 24
TS: 22
AA: 21

oGPA: 3.60
sGPA: 3.45

Strengths: Leadership positions, recent research exp., a lot of volunteering and shadowing hours, upward trend of 3.75 for the past 50+ credits.
Weaknesses: First year of undergrad: W in gen. chem I (first semester) and C+ in gen. chem I (2nd semester) the following semester; I have received nothing but As and Bs from thereon out. I guess my application is late as well, and I have only taken minimum pre-requisites, aka, no upper-level sciences. Also taking physics starting this Fall semester, finishing in Spring of '15.

So I honestly feel uneasy with the whole process, I hope I'm good enough to get in, what do you all think?

Schools applied to:
1) NYU College of Dentistry (dream school!)
2) USC
3) Rutgers
4) Boston University

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
you should be fine, but NYU is the most expensive dental school and it's usually peoples last choice. I would opt for more state schools. You will swimming in a lot of debt in a few years.

Everyone feels uneasy Yank, defiitely add a few more schools... Finish out this year strong and if you dont get in this cycle apply again after a strong senior year (dont know your major but fit in as many upper level sciences as you can, don't forget some of these can be time consuming tho).. at all costs keep grades as high as possible but if you can spare the time, continue with an extracurricular (a good paid choice would be dental assisting part time if you can manage)... dont worry yank you got this

For the love of God, take a breather. You're good. Maybe apply to two more schools but you're fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Add Tufts and Stony Brook. No harm in trying to apply there.

OMG gtfo you're fine

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all, truly means a lot to hear such positive feedback.

I actually would love to apply to more--only thing is, I haven't taken biochemistry, and it's a required course for Stony, Tufts, UConn, pretty much all schools I considered initially.
So those 4 schools are my definite go-to schools, being a NYC resident, I hope I get into NYU, I know it's A LOT of debt, but I figure the quality of education I'm receiving is also very good, 99% NBDE pass rate and all.

Thank you all, truly means a lot to hear such positive feedback.

I actually would love to apply to more--only thing is, I haven't taken biochemistry, and it's a required course for Stony, Tufts, UConn, pretty much all schools I considered initially.
So those 4 schools are my definite go-to schools, being a NYC resident, I hope I get into NYU, I know it's A LOT of debt, but I figure the quality of education I'm receiving is also very good, 99% NBDE pass rate and all.
Are you still in school? If so you can still take Biochemistry before you graduate, you don't need to have all the pre-reqs taken when applying.

Are you still in school? If so you can still take Biochemistry before you graduate, you don't need to have all the pre-reqs taken when applying.
Unfortunately, my school only offers it in the Fall, I couldn't register it then, so I won't have the chance. :(

Unfortunately, my school only offers it in the Fall, I couldn't register it then, so I won't have the chance. :(
Have you found any other school where you can take that BCH course or asked your advisor about what you can do? I remember reading a post by some member who was in similar situation and he was able to request something special from his school's dept after talking to the advisor.

Have you found any other school where you can take that BCH course or asked your advisor about what you can do? I remember reading a post by some member who was in similar situation and he was able to request something special from his school's dept after talking to the advisor.
Oh man, that would be amazing! I'll look into it.. but I doubt my school would oblige. It's a state school, short on funds, very popular and all, but known for being cheap tbh. I just hope I make it to the 4 I applied to. I really, really hope my application is complete by next week so NYU can take a look!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not Buffalo? It is so cheap.
I'm more of a NYC dude, I think I'm going to feel out of place at Buffalo. It's a 7-hour drive from home and I guess I wanna stay close. I realize it's cheap and all, and my stats are probably competitive for it but, Idk. I feel like I'll want to go to NYU at the end of the day, is prestige a big factor or am I overthinking it?

Are you getting loans or are your parents paying? Military?

GO TO THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL POSSIBLE.

THEY ALL TEACH YOU THE SAME $HIT.

GOOD LUCK.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott

GO TO THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL POSSIBLE.

THEY ALL TEACH YOU THE SAME $HIT.

GOOD LUCK.
True, I guess.. but wouldn't going to NYU increase chances of a higher wage at a more reputable place? At least that's what a professor from NYU Dental told me, he said average NYU grad. makes 180K+ a year

True, I guess.. but wouldn't going to NYU increase chances of a higher wage at a more reputable place? At least that's what a professor from NYU Dental told me, he said average NYU grad. makes 180K+ a year

Way too many variables to come to a conclusion like that, and definitely not 180k as a new grad in NYC...

Also, your skill set out of dental school is slow and weak compared to a someone who has done AEGD or GPR and/or CE classes increasing their experience and number of procedures they can do.

Way too many variables to come to a conclusion like that, and definitely not 180k as a new grad in NYC...

Also, your skill set out of dental school is slow and weak compared to a someone who has done AEGD or GPR and/or CE classes increasing their experience and number of procedures they can do.
Probably... what are some pros and cons of NYU in your opinion?

That is complete and utter BS.

Even if it were true, the additional debt would negate the higher income. If you had 500K from NYU, and 240K (or whatever) from Buffalo, you would be better off going to Buffalo and making less money right out of the gate. In dentistry your income potential long-term has zero relationship to where you went to school.

That's ridiculous that a prof told you that. Seriously? What a joke.

Academia, you have lost any remaining shred of respect I may have had for you.
Good riddance!

Just a fyi, do your own research on individual schools first/visit campus.. then read as many forums as you can and get the consensus.. having done this myself, i have heard a lot of people upset with the price tag and class size..from what I have heard from grad's of other DS NYU has trouble getting students enough work to complete your 4th year rotation req's (NYU students feel free to prove that wrong bc Im also hoping for an NYU interview)

That is complete and utter BS.

Even if it were true, the additional debt would negate the higher income. If you had 500K from NYU, and 240K (or whatever) from Buffalo, you would be better off going to Buffalo and making less money right out of the gate. In dentistry your income potential long-term has zero relationship to where you went to school.

That's ridiculous that a prof told you that. Seriously? What a joke.

Academia, you have lost any remaining shred of respect I may have had for you.
Good riddance!
Perhaps you're right.. I guess I just took for granted what a doctor might tell me.

Just a fyi, do your own research on individual schools first/visit campus.. then read as many forums as you can and get the consensus.. having done this myself, i have heard a lot of people upset with the price tag and class size..from what I have heard from grad's of other DS NYU has trouble getting students enough work to complete your 4th year rotation req's (NYU students feel free to prove that wrong bc Im also hoping for an NYU interview)
Yeah, I understand. I mean from a public standpoint, I can understand why a lot of people might urge me to not go to NYU due to class size and tuition, but I've been there so many times now (at least 4+) and it just feels like home. I know, that may sound silly. But I also visited Stony once, Columbia twice, and they never seemed to standout. They all seem like great schools though, but I felt like NYU stood out the most.

Also.. they graduate at Yankee Stadium and I am a DIE-HARD Yankees fan. That's also silly but it's a plus-point to me.

Yeah, I understand. I mean from a public standpoint, I can understand why a lot of people might urge me to not go to NYU due to class size and tuition, but I've been there so many times now (at least 4+) and it just feels like home. I know, that may sound silly. But I also visited Stony once, Columbia twice, and they never seemed to standout. They all seem like great schools though, but I felt like NYU stood out the most.

Also.. they graduate at Yankee Stadium and I am a DIE-HARD Yankees fan. That's also silly but it's a plus-point to me.
I say go for it! Be determined! :highfive:

Hi there,

I took my DAT last week, posted quite a few times with a breakdown... yet haven't received more than 1 response :(
I am a rising senior (class of '15) and although I submitted my app. in June, it will be complete in 2-3 weeks, whenever DAT scores upload.
State of Residency: New York

DAT Scores:
Perceptual Ability: 19
QR: 18
Reading Comp: 22
Biology: 20
Gen. Chem: 22
Orgo: 24
TS: 22
AA: 21

oGPA: 3.60
sGPA: 3.45

Strengths: Leadership positions, recent research exp., a lot of volunteering and shadowing hours, upward trend of 3.75 for the past 50+ credits.
Weaknesses: First year of undergrad: W in gen. chem I (first semester) and C+ in gen. chem I (2nd semester) the following semester; I have received nothing but As and Bs from thereon out. I guess my application is late as well, and I have only taken minimum pre-requisites, aka, no upper-level sciences. Also taking physics starting this Fall semester, finishing in Spring of '15.

So I honestly feel uneasy with the whole process, I hope I'm good enough to get in, what do you all think?

Schools applied to:
1) NYU College of Dentistry (dream school!)
2) USC
3) Rutgers
4) Boston University
You are much better off than me in terms of your DAT scores. If you can't take biochemistry at a different school over summer or something then try to sign up during your senior year. That is the only class I have left to take, I just graduated in May and I wont be taking that class until spring semester because I go to a small school who only offers it every 2 years. I could have taken it over summer at VCU, but I had DAT and applications to do.

Like most people I suggest maybe a couple more schools. I applied to 15 because I am crazy.

But then again I have a friend who has about the same grades as us, he applied to 7 and only got accepted to 1. However, here in VA the only school is VCU which is ridiculous.

Op. Trust us. Go to the cheapest. I just got my loans, the fees and interest rates are ridiculous. If you get HPSP, or other scholarships, more power to you. But in case you don't, you won't regret going to cheaper school in terms of financial aspect.

Op. Trust us. Go to the cheapest. I just got my loans, the fees and interest rates are ridiculous. If you get HPSP, or other scholarships, more power to you. But in case you don't, you won't regret going to cheaper school in terms of financial aspect.
Ah, man... all these posts make me want to apply to Buffalo, just in case I don't get an HPSP or NHSC scholarship.

Just apply, do you best, and if you get an acceptance, put down deposits for both schools. Once the decision for HPSP is released, you can decide which school to attend to.

Just apply, do you best, and if you get an acceptance, put down deposits for both schools. Once the decision for HPSP is released, you can decide which school to attend to.
Thanks a lot, man :)

By the way, does anyone know how long it might take for my DAT scores to upload onto AADSAS? and if it's late in September... would that hinder my application?

Update: called all of my schools today (all 4 lol) and all of them said that they are missing my DAT scores but the rest of the application is complete. Man, I hope they get sent soon. D; I sent in my unofficial to both NYU and USC, but Rutgers and BU do not accept unofficial Score Reports.