For the old timers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavyFP

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just an interesting anecdote for the old timers.

Every year I teach a biochem lecture for my wife's upper level chemistry classes. (she teaches high school).
There are usually a number of students who have the idea that they want to go to medical school and they know that I am in the Navy. Had a first this past week. One of the kids wants to go to med school and is thinking of Army HPSP. I know we frequently get high schoolers asking questions on the page but this student's question was exceptionally mature for someone who should only have a passing (if that) knowledge of the program.

"Can they make you do a residency that you don't want to do?"

I answered honestly saying no, but I did state you will have to do an internship and that might not be one of your choosing and that there would certainly be GMO time if you did not get what you wanted, but it was a first, and I have been doing this for 10+ years.

Just thought you would get a kick out of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Every year I teach a biochem lecture for my wife's upper level chemistry classes. (she teaches high school).
There are usually a number of students who have the idea that they want to go to medical school and they know that I am in the Navy. Had a first this past week. One of the kids wants to go to med school and is thinking of Army HPSP. I know we frequently get high schoolers asking questions on the page but this student's question was exceptionally mature for someone who should only have a passing (if that) knowledge of the program.

I answered honestly saying no, but I did state you will have to do an internship and that might not be one of your choosing and that there would certainly be GMO time if you did not get what you wanted, but it was a first, and I have been doing this for 10+ years.

Wow, that's a forward thinking youngster. Usually the high schoolers are asking how to be a pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon specializing in atrial myxoma removal who also wants to deploy with the Rangers/SEALs. That sort of perception leads me to believe they won't join the mil as a doctor, but who can say?

Doesn't surprise me. Anyone (even a 16-yo) who's read these forums can learn a lot and draw up such logical questions...it's not rocket science.

Now: if he were to ask you about the ethical dilemma that a GMO might face when being pressured by his command to rule in Adjustment Disorder and result in a routine administrative separation, this while a non judicial punishment is pending for said member.....that would be a forward thinking question!

Members don't see this ad :)
I sometimes marvel at how stupid I was when I signed up for the HPSP. I distinctly remember the night during medical school that I stumbled on this forum while studying for step 1. "Ho Lee Fuk," I thought, "What have I gotten myself into?"

This forum is a lot like a good residency: a tremendous opportunity to learn and grow as long as you're thick-skinned and not an @sshole.

Reactions: 2 users