For those applying the 2012-2013 cycle: A new PTCAS essay question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optionpaloma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who like to plan ahead -- I got this from the PTCAS Newsletter two days ago:

PTCAS Essay Question Change For 2012-2013

PTCAS will have a new essay question for the 2012-2013 cycle. The new question is:

"Autonomous practice is a goal of the American Physical Therapy Association. What does autonomous physical therapy practice mean to you and what characteristics do you display that would allow you to contribute to this practice goal?"

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone else find it slightly ironic that one of main characteristics grad schools have been seeking in applicants is collaborative ability, and now this essay question asks us to highlight our autonomy?

Perhaps it just me.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a much better essay question than last year's. Happy about the change.

Are the questions the same each years app cycle? I kind of want to start writing my essays soon! That way there is no rush and I can perfect my work to the best of my abilities.

How many essays are there usually for ptcas?

I just figured it would be the strandard, why do you want to be a pt and what characteristics do you have that would allow you to be a good pt

Is this question replacing the old one or in addition to it? The newsletter wasn't clear.

How many essays are there usually for ptcas?

I just figured it would be the strandard, why do you want to be a pt and what characteristics do you have that would allow you to be a good pt

There is one essay on PTCAS; sometimes individual schools add additional essay questions, but I would guess that most people only write one essay.

For the past 2 years, possibly longer, the essay question has been:

What personal characteristics and motivating factors have led you to pursue the profession of physical therapy?

This new question is more topical and specific and will require candidates to give some thought to current issues.

Where does a personal statement fit in then. Do schools ask for that on top of this new essay?

And I agree with the Guy above, schools do like students who can work well with others. This is an important skill for graduate school as well as in the workplace. That being said I don't really like this new essay

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Where does a personal statement fit in then. Do schools ask for that on top of this new essay?

And I agree with the Guy above, schools do like students who can work well with others. This is an important skill for graduate school as well as in the workplace. That being said I don't really like this new essay

This new essay question is the new "personal statement." Whereas the old essay question was more general and fit the more traditional personal-statement model, this new essay is asking for something more specific and applicable to the state of PT today.

Regarding autonomy vs. collaboration, I don't see them as opposing at all... I see autonomy as not having MDs be the gateway to PT services -- patients can come to PTs directly. Patients having direct access to PTs would not take away from the collaboration one would expect between health professions; if anything I think it would make it stronger (my two cents)...

Does anyone know when this new essay question will appear on the PTCAS application? Currently its still the old question. Thanks!

Does anyone know when this new essay question will appear on the PTCAS application? Currently its still the old question. Thanks!

2012 to 2013 application cycle, which opens in July.

Members don't see this ad :)
2012 to 2013 application cycle, which opens in July.
Thank you for the reply. On top of that since the 2012-13 cycle doesn't open until July, does that mean doing letter of recommendations electronically won't be effective until then as well. I have been thinking about getting letter of recs recently as we are upon the end of spring semester, but not exactly clear how it works. From my knowledge, it requires the professor to receive an email and processing it through that email. Since its still in the 11-12 cycle should I then wait until a few weeks before July in the summer to request for the letter of recs? I just don't want to bother the professors and realize they will never get the email because it is still in the current cycle.

Thank you for the reply. On top of that since the 2012-13 cycle doesn't open until July, does that mean doing letter of recommendations electronically won't be effective until then as well. I have been thinking about getting letter of recs recently as we are upon the end of spring semester, but not exactly clear how it works. From my knowledge, it requires the professor to receive an email and processing it through that email. Since its still in the 11-12 cycle should I then wait until a few weeks before July in the summer to request for the letter of recs? I just don't want to bother the professors and realize they will never get the email because it is still in the current cycle.

PTCAS will close for this cycle on June 1st, and none of the info inputted from this cycle will carry over to the next cycle.

So you can ask for rec letters now while you're still fresh in everyone's minds, but let your references know that they won't be able to submit until July. You can remind everyone about it in June, but I would do the initial asking now. Good luck!

What about starting a profile now and typing in class grades and stuff. If I do it now will it get erased because it is still the current cycle?

Should I wait till July when it opens up for next cycle?

Yes, you will lose everything that you put into PTCAS now when the current cycle closes in June so you have to wait until the new cycle opens in July. However, if you want to just get an idea of what you will need to do for next cycle it doesn't hurt to get a profile now to look around.

That's what I thought. My friend, who is unfamiliar with ptcas, spent a couple hours inputting grades already, she is gonna be pissed when I tell her that its all gonna get erased lol

Thanks for clearing that up though

So there is no way to use the same LoR? That's going to be a major pain to get again

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app I will accept any pt school at this point. I cannot sleep

From the most recent PTCAS newsletter:

"Reapplying through PTCAS Next Cycle?

Applicants who reapply through PTCAS in the 2012-13 (next) cycle will be able to have some of their application materials carried over into the new application scheduled to open on July 2, 2012.

Re-applicants must have "mailed" status in the current cycle to be eligible. PTCAS will pull the following documents and sections forward: all U.S. coursework and transcripts, contact information, personal information, background information, test scores, extracurricular activities, honors, work experiences, professional licenses and certificates, foreign transcript evaluations, and TOEFL scores.

Re-applicants will have the ability to edit their application (except previously verified coursework), enter updated information, and change PT program designations in the new application. More information will follow on the PTCAS Web site in June."

I'm in the same situation, and just asked my professor a couple of weeks ago if she could do my letter of recommendation. She agreed to write it in the next few weeks and save it, and then when the application cycle opens in July, she'll submit it. I definitely recommend asking your professor now, while they are still interacting with you regularly.

Thanks for the information. I'm wondering where would one go to test how well or poorly written their PTCAS essay is? I not too long ago realized that there is a Physical Therapy club in the school that I'm going to for my undergraduate degree. I guess I can go there. I wonder if they are available during the summer. I'll find out.

Just wondering whoever is applying to the next cycle , how are you guys going to approach this new essay.

I too received the same newsletter in March that had the original posted question, but now the new newsletter today says this:

PTCAS Essay Question Change for 2012-2013 PTCAS will have a new essay question for the 2012-2013 cycle. The new question is:
"Describe your decision making process in choosing physical therapy as a career choice versus other health care careers."
The PTCAS essay question is a required field for all applicants. You must enter something in the essay text box before you can submit the online application.

Hmm, are they doing both, not doing the one they sent out in March, or doing a random question?

This year's essay question was: "Which personal characteristics and motivating factors have led you to pursue the profession of physical therapy?"
Definitely a different question from both newsletters. Perhaps feedback from the participating programs caused a change to the new proposed question.

Last edited:
Lol so which one is it. I definitley prefer this new one as opposed to the one on autonomy, with this recent one I can just tweak my personal statement that I already have done :p

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure which one it is; but I before the new newsletter, (I repeat-- before) Wisconsin Madison had the "autonomous practice" essay listed. I guess we'll see if this changes? Or maybe I'll try to start/complete two essays. We do have over a month before the app even opens.

I too received the same newsletter in March that had the original posted question, but now the new newsletter today says this:

PTCAS Essay Question Change for 2012-2013 PTCAS will have a new essay question for the 2012-2013 cycle. The new question is:
"Describe your decision making process in choosing physical therapy as a career choice versus other health care careers."
The PTCAS essay question is a required field for all applicants. You must enter something in the essay text box before you can submit the online application.

Hmm, are they doing both, not doing the one they sent out in March, or doing a random question?

I am currently writing my essay as we speak and the question is the one mentioned in the quotes, not the one from the original post.