For those in California who do fluoro procedures without a radiology tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

casab

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those in California - how do you do your fluoro procedures without a radiology tech?

What can a medical assistant do? Can the assistant roll the C-arm into place? Roll the machine superiorly/inferiorly? I assume the physician does all the oblique/tilt/swivel.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For those in California - how do you do your fluoro procedures without a radiology tech?

What can a medical assistant do? Can the assistant roll the C-arm into place? Roll the machine superiorly/inferiorly? I assume the physician does all the oblique/tilt/swivel.

Thanks

Everything except activate the x-ray.

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I am preparing to do fluoro injections in the future in our organization. In our group, there are PM&R interventionalists who have a rad tech and an MA to take care of all the positioning stuff and prep work. However, our anesthesiology group apparently does things differently where they felt it was not worth the cost of a rad tech, so they actually will just change sterile glove multiple times to reposition during a procedure as it is cheaper than a rad tech. They have an MA, however per their review of the California license and requirements, it seems that MA's are severely restricted and cannot do anything to the fluoro once it is turned on and in standby or energized. (i.e. cannot lock, unlock, move bed, raise or lower,etc). Apparently they can still enter demographics and save pics.

Does this sound accurate? I don't know if our anesthesiologists use sterile covers or not, but I wonder if you could put a sterile cover on the handle as well as the various "locks" so one could stay sterile and move things back and forth. I think there is a foot peddle as well for some positioning and energizing.

I was trained in fellowship where we had an RN (since surgical suite with IV for all) to lock/unlock various axes. We would position all our own still. Not sure how efficient it is to keep regloving although I guess they did the cost analysis....

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally unacceptable.

Aside from this being a ridiculous setup, it's bound to lead to situations where you choose convenience over safety, raising the risk of an adverse event.

Are you in an ASC/HOPD or OB environment?

I can't imagine every little mom and pop pain practice across the state has a RT.

hospital based organization outpatient offices. there is an attached special procedure center i.e. surgical suite, but we don't have access to that. the anesthesiologists do, however they are the ones not using the rad tech. There was some mention that due to unions and protecting jobs for rad techs, they have cut down on what other staff can do to assist with fluoro positioning and such. Ugh.