For those interested in Environmental Health, what was your undergrad major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SS11MPH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post but I've been reading this forum for a few weeks. I'm nervous that my undergrad degree may hold me back from pursuing an MPH in Environmental Health. I will be graduating this Fall with a degree in Social Sciences.

Do you think I have a chance of being accepted in environmental health programs or are they just looking for undergrad science majors?

What were your undergrad majors as you applied to environmental health programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I was a double Biology and Environmental Science major. Keep in mind I'm not straight environmental health, though, my work is in environmental epidemiology.

In short: I really don't think so.

My major was Biology: Environmental Science, and my minor, Chemistry, but I have friends in EHS who majored in the social sciences in undergrad.

Social science is not necessarily a large part of environmental health, but it certainly can be-- especially in the MPH realm (v. the MS realm). I think if your personal statement adequately elucidates your interest in EH and your stats and recommendations are decent, you shouldn't have much trouble finding an MPH program to take you. :)

That said, some schools' programs are more quantitative than others-- definitely make sure you know whether the programs at which you're looking fall into this category.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the fast responses! In the fall I will be taking an environmental grad class that the EPA is involved with somehow (according to the professor teaching this course). This class could possibly transfer as credit to an MPH program or it can at least show some interest in environmental health. It will be a good idea to contact the actual schools but I figured you guys would give me faster advice! :)

Hi All. I hope some of you here had interview calls from TAMU already. can you share your experiences please. I plan to schedule it next week.

My undergrad major was community health education.