For those of us only on waitlists, what are you all doing in the mean time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IMO it's better to assume you will not get off the waitlist and prep for reapplying. I was waitlisted at my state school 2 years ago and thought I would get off for sure. I was confident in my hard work that got me to the waitlist, and the confidence gave me more hope that I would get in. I waited through the whole summer just to be rejected. Turns out that year they matriculated 20% less IS students overall. I had no way of predicting that, and there is a good chance my app would have been in that 20% of IS students who didn't get in that year (but who knows?!). I put myself in a terrible position by thinking I would get off the waitlist, and I don't want anyone to go through the same situation as I did because of false hope (even though the hope is impossible to ignore).

I hope you all get in though!!!!

EDIT: Literally right after I wrote this, I compulsively checked my email and I just got an acceptance from Rush!!! Third time's a charm. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I'm trying to discern chances. On two DO waitlists, one MD rejection. Called one school and learned everything is good about app except the interview. Stats above average. I'm assuming it's a similar case for the other school. So is that the kiss of death this cycle? I can't really send an update letter that would change how my panel interview went.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO it's better to assume you will not get off the waitlist and prep for reapplying. I was waitlisted at my state school 2 years ago and thought I would get off for sure. I was confident in my hard work that got me to the waitlist, and the confidence gave me more hope that I would get in. I waited through the whole summer just to be rejected. Turns out that year they matriculated 20% less IS students overall. I had no way of predicting that, and there is a good chance my app would have been in that 20% of IS students who didn't get in that year (but who knows?!). I put myself in a terrible position by thinking I would get off the waitlist, and I don't want anyone to go through the same situation as I did because of false hope (even though the hope is impossible to ignore).

I hope you all get in though!!!!

EDIT: Literally right after I wrote this, I compulsively checked my email and I just got an acceptance from Rush!!! Third time's a charm. Good luck to everyone!

Congratulations!!! That's so exciting!! :D
I agree it's very important to prepare for the worst aka for reapplication but I'm still going to keep the hope alive ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I got in!!!!!!! :biglove:
Accepted off one of 4 wait lists!!!! It is possible people!!!! ;)

Good luck to those of you still waiting :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:
I know it's painful... Hang in there! :xf:

Reactions: 11 users
Well, just got my last post-interview decision and...surprise! Another wait-list. That brings the total to:

5 interviews, 5 wait lists

I can't take much more of this. Hopefully some good news will come my way in a few weeks. Good luck to all!

Reactions: 1 users
Well congrats to everyone who was accepted. Sadly, I'm still waiting x.x

2 waitlists... top two schools too.

After three years, this is my last cycle if I don't get in.

Plan B is starting a new business and prep for rabbinical school. My mentors say "No, if you don't get into medical school, you better be applying for a PhD in neuroscience or something!" so there is that. Not the worst idea either given some of my undergraduate interests.

2 waitlists... top two schools too.

After three years, this is my last cycle if I don't get in.

Plan B is starting a new business and prep for rabbinical school. My mentors say "No, if you don't get into medical school, you better be applying for a PhD in neuroscience or something!" so there is that. Not the worst idea either given some of my undergraduate interests.

Just my 2 cents but IMO don't feel pressured into doing a PhD...I hear a lot of people say they would take that option if they don't get into med school, but I don't think half of them know exactly what a PhD entails. Not saying you don't, but you have to love research. Just be well informed is all, and follow your heart.

Just my 2 cents but IMO don't feel pressured into doing a PhD...I hear a lot of people say they would take that option if they don't get into med school, but I don't think half of them know exactly what a PhD entails. Not saying you don't, but you have to love research. Just be well informed is all, and follow your heart.

Thanks, I actually do know what a PhD entails. I have a MS degree and over a decade of research experience. I applied to PhD programs in two graduate school application cycles. My CV actually looks more like a graduate school applicant than a medical school one. Then after a few life changing experiences refocused to medicine. I just never strongly considered neuroscience as a career goal even though I was working in a related field in undergrad and enjoyed reading the textbooks. I was too scared to take that as an undergraduate major. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would have.

Two wait lists. Hoping and praying for good news (and for May 15 to come quickly).

Last edited: