For those of us waiting for Oct. 15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Its been two months since my first interview, I can wait 6 more days right? Right?! :scared::scared::scared:

Also I'll be flying that day so I wont be able to check anything at peak business hours :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad.

Thankfully, my life has been rather crazy for the last several weeks, so I've been mainly focused on handling stuff that needed to be handled in the next 1-3 days. I haven't really had much time yet to think about it and freak out. Next week is going to be crazy as well, so I probably won't be getting really freaked out until Wednesday night.

I have *no* idea where I want to go, honestly. I don't think there's a single school on my list that I wouldn't attend, and I applied to a lot of reaches. So for now, I think I'll keep doing interviews even if I am fortunate enough to get a call on the 15th...but that will probably change once I leave the country.

*Note: I forgot about one school. They have been SO awful during this app cycle that the only reason I would not withdraw my app would be to see how long it actually takes for that first pair of eyes to hit my application, because I might set a record.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well it's actually another month for me to hear back from most schools (yay Texas applicants...)

But I did interview at a couple OOS schools. It would certainly lift a huge burden if I could have an acceptance in hand before November 15th

Reactions: 1 user
What's happening on October 15th exactly? Do a lot of schools tell you guys if you got accepted on that date and why? Didn't some schools already release acceptances? Just curious, don't know anything abou this. Oh and good luck!

What's happening on October 15th exactly? Do a lot of schools tell you guys if you got accepted on that date and why? Didn't some schools already release acceptances? Just curious, don't know anything abou this. Oh and good luck!

October 15th is the first day the AAMC will allow allopathic medical schools to release acceptances for regular decision applicants. So any schools that have made decisions to accept people leading up to this date will usually let them know on the 15th. Those already with acceptances already are usually either early decision, or DO applicants.

If you get into your top choice and you would attend that school over others I don't see why waste the money on the rest

Unless you're waiting to see how financials play into it. I'm not sure how much aid I'm going to get, and that might end up playing a huge part in my decision. But as a general rule once you get an acceptance you really have no obligation to go on more interviews unless you have a reason.

October 15th is the first day the AAMC will allow allopathic medical schools to release acceptances for regular decision applicants. So any schools that have made decisions to accept people leading up to this date will usually let them know on the 15th. Those already with acceptances already are usually either early decision, or DO applicants.

So I've been wondering this for a while - does anyone know why AAMC doesn't allow acceptances before Oct. 15th? The best explanation I can come up with is that the schools want time to entice applicants who may not be willing to interview there once they have an acceptance.

I would withdraw my application from all but a few schools, though I think I have already been silently rejected from the few schools that I would pick over the schools where I have received interviews. At this point, I would keep each all those schools on the list in order to see about money.

Unless you're waiting to see how financials play into it. I'm not sure how much aid I'm going to get, and that might end up playing a huge part in my decision. But as a general rule once you get an acceptance you really have no obligation to go on more interviews unless you have a reason.
I'm definitely interested in financials. To me, it's worth a few hundred dollars each time for the odds that I will manage to pull in a scholarship somewhere...and I specifically picked my reaches based on how good their finaid was. Plus, once I'm into a school, those few hundred dollars are pennies to the loan I'll be getting shortly.

Waiting for Oct 15th is a very good position to be in. You guys did the right things so far so keep thinking positive. :)

Reactions: 10 users
So I've been wondering this for a while - does anyone know why AAMC doesn't allow acceptances before Oct. 15th? The best explanation I can come up with is that the schools want time to entice applicants who may not be willing to interview there once they have an acceptance.
My understanding is for one it keeps schools from pushing the admissions process back even further. It also allows time for the early decision process to complete by October 1st.

Three days until the 15th!

Mfw I don't hear anything on the 15th, or even worse, get all rejections: :confused:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is why unlike everyone else, I'm absolutely dreading 10/15...

If you're going to get rejected, might as well be now rather than later. It at least gives you the time and option to contact schools, use that to find the problems in your app, and prepare for the next cycle if necessary. Moral of the story, don't fear or view an Oct 15 rejection as the end of the world, necessarily. Save that for when May rolls around and you get rejected from your last school ;)

Nervous but ready! Two interviews up to this point. Should hear from one school Thursday(Hopefully) and the second school doesn't even start looking at apps until December!

Working full time but that is not doing a good job of calming my nerves. Good luck to all!

My decision better be posted at midnight tomorrow, because if it's not posted till mid-day on the 15th, I will be an absolute wreck all day. It will be like the time I had to wait until 5PM to see my MCAT score.

Reactions: 4 users
Nos morituri te salutamus

31 hours 10 mins 4 seconds ^.^ let me go find something to do with myself haha

Does anyone else keep checking their portals, hoping the med schools accidentally post decisions early?

Reactions: 5 users
My decision better be posted at midnight tomorrow, because if it's not posted till mid-day on the 15th, I will be an absolute wreck all day. It will be like the time I had to wait until 5PM to see my MCAT score.

Ha I totally understand. The school I'm waiting for is going to phone accepted applicants, so I'm going to be watching my phone like crazy all day :p

Ha I totally understand. The school I'm waiting for is going to phone accepted applicants, so I'm going to be watching my phone like crazy all day :p

That's even worse! But what sucks about the email is that I know that the school I'm going to hear back from doesn't send the decision through email. You just get a "status change" email and then you have to log onto the portal to see the decision. :barf:

That's even worse! But what sucks about the email is that I know that the school I'm going to hear back from doesn't send the decision through email. You just get a "status change" email and then you have to log onto the portal to see the decision. :barf:

Oh goodness. Hopefully we will all have happy updates to post here on Thursday!

I guess in some ways that's good because then you have a few minutes to prepare yourself to receive the decision. I feel like it might be kind of alarming if you got a decision that wasn't what you had hoped for and you just saw it in your email when you weren't prepared for it.

If I do get to hear back from a school on the 15th, I really hope it's over telephone. Just because I'm sure hearing someone say you're accepted is something you'll never forget, reading it sounds more forgettable to me :p

Does anyone else keep checking their portals, hoping the med schools accidentally post decisions early?
That and I check my actual mailbox at my apartment each time I walk by it (at least twice a day) in case they sent something a few days early and it got here fast. :scared::scared::scared:

One school hinted that they put the decisions in before they leave for the evening the previous day. So if you check after 5PM on Wednesday...

Still, I highly doubt that's the case for other schools.

One school hinted that they put the decisions in before they leave for the evening the previous day. So if you check after 5PM on Wednesday...

Still, I highly doubt that's the case for other schools.

Actually I was stalking the Case thread and a lot of people seemed to get their acceptance early, the posts were marked October 14th (but no time). So I bet that's what happened there, too.

Do rejections come as fast ast acceptances on this date?

:) The waiting game is the most nerve wrecking thing in this process.

I'm freakin out. Can't focus on work. So nervous :nailbiting:

I'm excited! Tomorrow could potentially be a very, very good day. :)

Reactions: 6 users
Great things are happening tmrw!

The two schools I have interviewed at so far have stated that you will hear something back from them regardless, on the 15th or 16th, stating acceptance or rolled over for additional consideration. Which is nice, I believe, as I will at least have some sort of indication of where I stand at those schools and I will not be receiving the deadly silent treatment.

The worst possible thing I can possibly imagine for tomorrow is not hearing anything back, especially with all this anticipation. :(

OMG yes. I would so rather have a rejection than not hear at all tomorrow.
Lol I am probably going to end up staying up till like 2am refreshing the portal.

I'm getting really excited to hear about people's first acceptances. Good luck everyone! Hopefully we will all be able to sleep tonight :yawn: :sleep:

I had a dream I was waitlisted.

Either I'm wrong and accepted, or right and a psychic. Either way I get to think highly of myself. ..:grumpy:

Reactions: 4 users
I had a dream I was waitlisted.

Either I'm wrong and accepted, or right and a psychic. Either way I get to think highly of myself. ..:grumpy:

I think psychic abilities is definitely worthy of an application update and you could revolutionize preventative care ;)

One more day! Must keep this thread at the top of page until tomorrow!

OMG yes. I would so rather have a rejection than not hear at all tomorrow.
Lol I am probably going to end up staying up till like 2am refreshing the portal.

I highly doubt schools will update portals at midnight. I think they will send out batch emails or updates in the morning. Good thing I'm on the west coast. I'll just wake up and check my email at 9 am.

The only early MD interview I had doesn't seem to give out decisions before ~10/25 based on past threads... Here's to hoping they miraculously decide to send decisions out tomorrow anyway :dead: