For those that are going to/went to school in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPeterman1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How quick and easy is the visa process? Did you or anyone you know have any road bumps?

Members don't see this ad.

Most people don't have an issue, but the Australian government, for some unknown magical reason, took forever to process my application, and I was forced to fly to Australia before it was approved because medicine was commencing. By law, if you apply for a visa while offshore, you still have to be offshore at the time of its approval. So because I had already arrived in Australia, it was rejected, and I had to go through the whole process over again, including paying double and redoing all of the medicals. This second time around was an onshore visa.

But I have two friends who had been in a similar situation as I, and they flew to New Zealand for a week to be "offshore" during the approval process. This in turn had cost them less than applying for a new visa.

I had applied for my original visa probably about 3 months beforehand as well. I would say 95+% of people don't have an issue though.

So are the two responders to this post students at medical schools in Australia then? (I take this from the info under your profile pictures, sorry if it's a dumb question). If so, would you guys mind sharing your thoughts on gaining permanent residency during medical school in Australia?