For those that changed careers into Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdea

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What made you decide on this new field as a career. Also what backgrounds did you come from and how long were you in that field.

Members don't see this ad.

cdea said:
What made you decide on this new field as a career. Also what backgrounds did you come from and how long were you in that field.
cdea -- I was a software engineer for over 10 years before I decided to change careers to optometry. I had a great job, but I knew I couldn't see myself as a programmer or in management for the rest of my career. I started thinking about what other types of careers I might be interested in, and stumbled into optometry sort of by accident. I like the professional and scientific aspects of optometry, and the opportunity to interact with people. I especially like the portable accreditation of having an "OD" that will allow me to get a job (part-time or full-time, where the hours you work are under your control, not someone else's) just about anywhere after I graduate.

I am especially lucky that I have a wonderful husband who has supported my wacky lifestyle change into professional school student, it's been a crazy ride. :)

Are you a career-changer? What is your story?

r_salis,

Are you going to continue to program once you are in practice. The current EMR out there just are not that great for OD offices. I wish I had the skill of programming because designing my own office software would be great, not to mention profitable after you get all the bugs out of it. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I changed from a career in biotechnology research into optometry. I hated my biotech job and realized the only way to get ahead in it was to get into management and away from benchwork. I also worked long hours for lousy pay and couldn't see myself spending the next 20 years doing it.

After doing some research into the profession,working full time for an OD for a year, taking some night classes to fulfill some pre-reqs, and taking the OAT... I was an OD student.

Wow 10 years in programming thats awesome that you changed. I've been a network administrator for the past year and have been a pc technician for about 4 years all through college. I am only 23 but am looking to get out of network admin not because of the work but because of the politics in a corporate environment. I don't respond very well to bosses that don't back you up to begin with. Anyhow i never knew optometry was an available career till my cousin and i were talking about new careers that i could get in to. So now my biggest fear is if i can do this challenge quit my job and everything but i guess i will never know till i try.

I was in the Navy for 7 years as a cryptologist. My degree was in biomedical engineering, and I got to use it maybe a couple times in the military, but mostly only to beat idiots over the head. :D

Optometry is really appealing because it seems very flexible, where I won't be trapped in one work environment. It's everything I ever wanted: direct impact on the well-being of other people, and I can do research and use my technical degree, too. At least that's what I'm hoping. As far as I can tell, my "worst-case scenario" would be solely to practice privately, and that is not a bad worst-case at all. Sure beats a career field about which I am only moderately interested and having to move every three years.

Leaving the Navy safety net was a very hard transition for me; I will admit that it made me a little depressed and I had become accustomed to a certain lifestyle that my paycheck afforded me. But now that I've been back in school the last year and I'm starting opt school next year, I have no regrets.

Good luck, cdea! :luck:

I've been in IT field for 5 years now (since college graduation) and I;m starting OD school this fall. Same story, I don't function very well in a corporate environment. Having to deal with politics and corrupt management everyday brought me to a conclusion that I need to change fields fast. I was a double major in college, comp science and biology. I also worked for Lenscrafters for 3 years and for a private OD for a year back in my undergrad days. Anyway, after a lot of thought, I decided to pursue optometry. That was a very hard decision to make, I too have become accustomed to a very nice paychecks. However, now when I go to work, I get a daily reminder that I absolutely made the right decision.

I was three years into getting my Ph.D. in organic chemistry at UC Irvine when I realized that 12 hour days in front of a fume hood was not the lifestyle for me. I am really a people person and spending three years with labmates that really weren't cemented my decision to switch. Thankfully my wife has supported me completely.

od2b77, what kind of job did you have at lens crafters or at the OD's place. Did you have some experience in optometry or did you do office work??? Also congratulations on starting OD school. Good luck! what are you doing about bills?

i am looking for part time work now so i can go full time on my prereqs. Graduating with business gives you zero science classes under your belt.

Thanks everyone for the replies...

cdea said:
od2b77, what kind of job did you have at lens crafters or at the OD's place. Did you have some experience in optometry or did you do office work??? Also congratulations on starting OD school. Good luck! what are you doing about bills?

i am looking for part time work now so i can go full time on my prereqs. Graduating with business gives you zero science classes under your belt.

Thanks everyone for the replies...

cdea, I was a frame stylist at Lenscrafters, basically means I sold frames/lenses. I learned to adjust glasses while working there, but never got certified as an optician. OD office, yeah, office work, billing, and whenever there were customers in the store, selling. Regarding the bills, I was laid off last year, so instead of getting another job right away, I collected unemployment and studied for OAT and took Anatomy in community college (not a requirement for schools where I applied, but I needed a LOR from a professor who actually remembers me). I got another job last fall that I'll quit in 2 month. I can imagine that everything was easier for me than it could have been, because I am lucky to be married to a great guy who supports my decision financially and emotionally. Anyway, we've learned to economize and to live on just my husbands paycheck, so that we've saved most of the $ I've earned for any emergencies/extras when I'll be in school. I believe where there is a will there is a way. If I wasn't married, I'd probably move back in with my parents in order to do this and once in school, there are loans that are enough to live on. Its hard, but definately possible.

Any career changers that had low GPA's when they graduated college? Like my sorry 2.4 gpa. Man i wish i knew about optometry when i started college i would have taken it more seriously. i had planned to work with computers and that was it.

Man i am taking practice OAT tests and am failing like crazy. What did you guys do to refresh your memory on all the algebra and other stuff.........

cdea said:
Any career changers that had low GPA's when they graduated college? Like my sorry 2.4 gpa. Man i wish i knew about optometry when i started college i would have taken it more seriously. i had planned to work with computers and that was it.

Man i am taking practice OAT tests and am failing like crazy. What did you guys do to refresh your memory on all the algebra and other stuff.........

Didn't you say that you still have to take 99% of your prereqs?

If that is the case, don't worry about practice OAT scores right now. It would be pretty tough for most people to do well on the OAT when they haven't taken the background classes. Even the QR section will get "easier" because with taking the prereqs you will get practice making calculations like that again.

Unless you are going to take the OAT this fall, it shouldn't be a huge concern untill you have the background knowledge.

As an aside, seems like a lot of career changers were IT people who decided that optometry was the way to go. Kinda makes sense though, since this is a computer based forum.

Thanks!! Actually i called SCCO about my gpa and they said it would recalculate with all the prereq classes are finished also......

That got me motivated again..

I think IT people leave cause they go in not knowing all they are getting in to. Almost like any other field but in IT you only see problems when they arrive. Not like we make problems happen so when it comes up its the first time we've all seen it. And believe me we only hear the bad side. No one calls us in the morning to tell us that their PC is running just fine and had no problems the day before. We always get the "whats wrong with my computer" call. Then you got the boss hounding you asking for updates every few minutes on why the email server isn't back up yet or why the website is still down. Programmers have it even harder, they have to make something work with codes. you can imagine the stress there.

My main reason for going into optometry is because i can hopefully be my own boss and if not i can still make decent money, and hopefully the stress level is much lower. Which is the important thing for me. Less stress at work means much more relaxing time for myself and my family.........

cdea said:
Thanks!! Actually i called SCCO about my gpa and they said it would recalculate with all the prereq classes are finished also......

I think IT people leave cause they go in not knowing all they are getting in to. Almost like any other field but in IT you only see problems when they arrive. Not like we make problems happen so when it comes up its the first time we've all seen it. And believe me we only hear the bad side. No one calls us in the morning to tell us that their PC is running just fine and had no problems the day before. We always get the "whats wrong with my computer" call. Then you got the boss hounding you asking for updates every few minutes on why the email server isn't back up yet or why the website is still down. Programmers have it even harder, they have to make something work with codes. you can imagine the stress there.

My main reason for going into optometry is because i can hopefully be my own boss and if not i can still make decent money, and hopefully the stress level is much lower. Which is the important thing for me. Less stress at work means much more relaxing time for myself and my family.........

It's nice to be back in the forum again! I've been so busy with work/school that I haven't had a chance to check in.

So, my story goes like this: I'm 24 & about 2yrs ago, upon graduating from college with a Graphic Design BS, I decided to make a career change. I felt my heart was not in that field & had to make a serious decision. I decided on Optometry because of all the reasons everyone's mentioned on this forum (clean field, less stress, stable work hrs, and many more!)
The problem with my status was that I had to repeat, literally, all my general eds. simply because the college I attended was not accredited with the same accreditation as the Cal States/UCs in Cali. YEAH...SUCKED LIKE HELL!!!!
So, basically, I was back to square one!! BUT, with the passion & determination, I have been continuing & will be transferring to Cal State Northridge in the beginning of '06.
At this point in my life, I feel like nothing can stop me, but me!!

SO, for those that are scared to make the change...DON'T BE!! It's for you & no one else, so might as well do what makes YOU happy!!!!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

You know what? You will probably find that in optometry, people are not going to come in and tell you that they're doing great all that often! I work for an OD's office and most people that come in do so because they have a problem...i.e. they can't see or whatever else. Although preventative care is always encouraged, not all that many people seek it. So...if you found that people came to you in IT always saying something was wrong, don't expect to get away from that in optometry.
Sara :)
cdea said:

You know what? You will probably find that in optometry, people are not going to come in and tell you that they're doing great all that often! I work for an OD's office and most people that come in do so because they have a problem...i.e. they can't see or whatever else. Although preventative care is always encouraged, not all that many people seek it. So...if you found that people came to you in IT always saying something was wrong, don't expect to get away from that in optometry.
Sara

Thanks! I am not running from the people coming in with problems. I am running from the two face boss that will throw you in front of the bus if he gets cornered by his boss.

I'm applying to optometry for this september (only to waterloo), and currently i'm a high school teacher. I just graduated last year and this is my first year teaching. I teach physics and math. While I am really enjoying teaching, I can foresee down the road it will not offer enough of an intellectual challenge for me. The one on one patient care is also quite appealing after teaching classrooms of 30 kids. I am very much looking forward to starting optometry school, and I just had my interview at waterloo so hopefully that's where I'll be come September!

Bone said:
While I am really enjoying teaching, I can foresee down the road it will not offer enough of an intellectual challenge for me.

Hi,

Just to warn you, I've spoken to two optometrists who have said that optometry can be quite boring. One OD said that if she could do it again, she probably wouldn't choose optometry because it's too repetitive. Another OD that switched from being an OMD (because of her age) said that the job was boring and even suggested that I should consider medical school instead!

Of course, the type of patients that you'll see will depend on where you work. But since optometry is the "portal to the health system," you may not be able to see many unique cases.

Ning-Ju

Ning said:

Hi,

Just to warn you, I've spoken to two optometrists who have said that optometry can be quite boring. One OD said that if she could do it again, she probably wouldn't choose optometry because it's too repetitive. Another OD that switched from being an OMD (because of her age) said that the job was boring and even suggested that I should consider medical school instead!

Of course, the type of patients that you'll see will depend on where you work. But since optometry is the "portal to the health system," you may not be able to see many unique cases.

Ning-Ju

Thanks for the warning, Ning... I guess I didn't really elaborate enough in my original post, but there are many other aspects of optometry that I look forward to. I will enjoy the business aspect of having my own practice, being my own boss, relatively low stress (compared to teaching teenagers). I also have a fair bit of experience in medical imaging research, so I'm also considering doing a combined OD/MSc.

Bone said:
Thanks for the warning, Ning... I guess I didn't really elaborate enough in my original post, but there are many other aspects of optometry that I look forward to. I will enjoy the business aspect of having my own practice, being my own boss, relatively low stress (compared to teaching teenagers). I also have a fair bit of experience in medical imaging research, so I'm also considering doing a combined OD/MSc.

Hey,

I would think that teaching would be quite stressful, especially teenagers! I was a mentor in a 4th grade classroom and that experience really showed me how difficult it is to be a teacher. At least the elementary school kids still respond well to teachers and don't mind participating. But the teenagers, jeez...they're just in their own little world!

Hopefully optometry will be a good change for you!

Ning-Ju

r_salis said:
cdea -- I was a software engineer for over 10 years before I decided to change careers to optometry. I had a great job, but I knew I couldn't see myself as a programmer or in management for the rest of my career. I started thinking about what other types of careers I might be interested in, and stumbled into optometry sort of by accident. I like the professional and scientific aspects of optometry, and the opportunity to interact with people. I especially like the portable accreditation of having an "OD" that will allow me to get a job (part-time or full-time, where the hours you work are under your control, not someone else's) just about anywhere after I graduate.

I am especially lucky that I have a wonderful husband who has supported my wacky lifestyle change into professional school student, it's been a crazy ride. :)

Are you a career-changer? What is your story?

What a great forum! I wish I had found it earlier. I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that I'm not the only person making a switch from IT to Optometry.

I have some questions for those who have already made the switch and are currently enrolled in Opt school:

1. If you've switched careers, I'm assuming that you're over 23 years old. How receptive are the schools to older candidates?

2. How do you approach essay/interview questions when they want to know what you've been doing with your time? Like some of my fellow IT peers, I've been laid off and took the that time to take a class or two.

3. How can an older candidate making a career switch appear more competitive other than the obvious OAT scores?

My situation: I'm 31. Finished a Bio minor (fulfilled all the pre-reqs) but with a sub 3.00 GPA. I spent the last 8 years working in IT.